PDA

View Full Version : .303 Enfield Magazine

GrullaGuy
08-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Does a 10 shot Enfield magazine have to be plugged for hunting? I had a discussion with a guy some time ago, and he insisted that the mag had to be plugged.

I have only hunted with shotguns since moving to Vancouver Island, but I am thinking of venturing out with my old No 1 this fall. I fired it for the first time in 20 years last winter!

elkdom
08-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Does a 10 shot Enfield magazine have to be plugged for hunting? I had a discussion with a guy some time ago, and he insisted that the mag had to be plugged.

I have only hunted with shotguns since moving to Vancouver Island, but I am thinking of venturing out with my old No 1 this fall. I fired it for the first time in 20 years last winter!

NO !, the SMLE Lee Enfield .303 magazine does NOT fall under the magazine restrictions applied to other fire arms, 10 shots aboard ,no problem!:wink:

Blair
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Why do they distinguish between one rifle and another? Is it because it is bolt action and not semi-automatic?

303Brit
08-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Q7. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?
A7. As set out in Criminal Code Regulations (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/?eng=http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/SOR-98-462/index.html), some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:

5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
10 cartridges for most handgun magazinesA large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.
There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

From the CFP website, so if you wanted to belt feed your SMLE then have at'er

GrullaGuy
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Hmmm,

Years ago, I bought some cloth Vickers machine gun belts with .303 ball in them. Used the ammo and threw out the belts. What a shame.

ThreeFuturehunters
08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I suspect why the 303 mag has not be deemed to large is that that rifle is still being used by our military by the "ranger" elements. And that in the far north the "ranger" elements use them for other activities than protection of our country.

303Brit
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmmm,

Years ago, I bought some cloth Vickers machine gun belts with .303 ball in them. Used the ammo and threw out the belts. What a shame.

Damm, cause that would make for a good photo op ;), although most people wouldn't enjoy packing a full belt of ammo on their hunt ;)

303Brit
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I suspect why the 303 mag has not be deemed to large is that that rifle is still being used by our military by the "ranger" elements. And that in the far north the "ranger" elements use them for other activities than protection of our country.

From what I have seen the only mag restrictions with regards to hunting in BC, that are more restrictive than the ones outlined by the CFP are to do with Shotguns.

homer76
08-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Nothing to do with the rifle being used by the Rangers. The 5 round magazine limit applies to center-fire semi-automatic rifles.

That's why I can have 25 round mags for my Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto rimfire) and can have a 9 round magazine for my Savage 11F (bolt-action center-fire).

The only centerfire semi-automatic that is exempt is the M1 Garand. Then of course there is the LAR-15 magazines (10 round .223 mags designed for the AR-15 pistol) that can be legally used in semi-auto rifles (AR-15, Robinson Armaments XCR, Tavor, etc.) Gotta love the loop holes in the Firearms Act.

naswell
08-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Howdy, i know your supost to have it pined for 5 shells in the mag same as shotguns. i beleve if your Bear hunting or Cougar hunting your aloud slugs and taking out the tube. if Convo ketches you without the plug & bird shot your ****ed. has to be Slug And/Or Double 00 ??????? some one please corect me if im wrong.

naswell
08-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow didnt know it fell under that act, I love this site allways learning

Big Lew
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
My grandfather used a 303 savage and was so confident (or arrogant) that he would only put one bullet in the gun and carry a second in his pocket in case he saw a second deer while packing the first deer home. (So the story was told to me:smile:)

Cookie-kid
08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
from what I understand, ww2 or pre-war rifles and he like are exempt from those classifications as long as it is factory equipment. if you are worried you can pack your standard 5 & be fine.

I heard rumours that the ruling on shotguns is being reviewed for change regarding the 3 round limit on shot shells but allowed 5 rounds for slugs... something along those lines

BernDawg
08-11-2012, 03:11 PM
The Garand is exempt because it has an internal mag that loads with a clip that holds 8 rounds and it has to be full to load the rifle. (or one a time in the chamber). Bolt, pump and lever action rifles have NO mag limit.

Alec
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
The 'ENFIELD' is not a 'Lee Enfield'. If it has a detachable magazine, in either 5 or 10 shot capacity, it is a Lee Enfield of one or other models. Because it is not a semi-auto, there is no limit on magazine capacity. When you load the 10 shot mag., and put another in the chamber, you shouldn't have need for packing extra rounds on a standard hunting day.