PDA

View Full Version : Grouse,Quail,Pheasant,etc...

Hunting4Life
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi, im 15 and live in west van, just got a cz redhead deluxe 20 guage, i would like to know where is the closest place i can LEGALLY hunt for grouse,quail, pheasant or any other legal upland bird species. i dont want to know anyones secret spot i just mean a general area. thanks for helping out a new hunter!

thanks Cole:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

2x4x16
08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I'll be the first but I know others will tell you that you need to tell a joke first as a newbie.

Sasquatch
08-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Welcome Cole. I think your best bet to hunt somewhere close would be the Squamish area for grouse. If you want quail, you need to go the Okanagan or the Island

Good luck and enjoy the new shotgun.

nano
08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
For grouse you can go up to squamish and for pheasants you can go out to the Fraser valley or join a hunting club that has pheasant land that you can hunt on. oh and welcome to the site.

Hunting4Life
08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
thanks so much guys and heres ur joke, wat do u do when ur dishwasher breaks?

u hit her....... XD

Hunting4Life
08-29-2010, 09:18 PM
and how do i go about getting tags for grouse? and can i go anywhere in squamish that is 500m away from road?

The Dawg
08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Go to your local Walmart and ask for a years supply of grouse tags. If they claim to know nothing about them, call the bcwf and raise a stink about them.
It's been a trend lately that they have been giving the run around to new hunters.

:D

2x4x16
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Noah dawg I love you reply. But Cole you need to read the regs closer. Head off the pavement and watch the ditches of the logging roads. Just a heads up. You need to re read the regs from cover to cover before you post more questions. otherwise you will be roasted.

Hunting4Life
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM
alright can u provide a link to the regs pls? :-)

2x4x16
08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Hunting4Life
08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Just read up and from my understanding I do not require tags and the daily limit is 10. Is this correct?

coconut54
08-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Just read up and from my understanding I do not require tags and the daily limit is 10. Is this correct?

correct. you just need your hunting licence and that covers small game and upland birds. If you would like a waterfowl licence you can pick it up from wholesale sports or the post office.

Hunting4Life
08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Do I have to do the core hunting program for a license or can I just buy 1?

The Dawg
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
You need the core.

Hunting4Life
08-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Where can I take that near west van and how long is it, also couldn't find quail on the regs, when is there season and wats daily bag limit? Thanks guys!!!

britman101
08-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Also, if you are under 18 you must be accompanied by your parent or guardian who must sign an "Acknowledgement of Responsibility" for his/her son or daughter or ward. And hunters under the age of 18 must be accompanied and closely supervised while hunting by a person who is 18 years of age or older and who holds a hunting licence. These qualifications must also be met for licencing requirements in B.C. .

Hunting4Life
08-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Britman idk where ur from but since I have my firearms license (minor) I can use a firearm for hunting or target practice while unsupervised

palmer
08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
No you can't....you must be accompanied, its very clear in the regs. If you don't believe phone the closest CO office.

hoochie
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
You've missed something buddy...
If you have your PAL, this allows you to shoot a firearm. You need a hunting license to hunt. Its 2 different things. You can hunt with a bow without a firearms license, but you still cannot hunt without a hunting license.
You need to take the CORE (conservation outdoor recreation education) course, which can be done over a weekend. They cover all sorts of game along with more firearms safety etc. The CORE is a must before hunting.
If you have a firearms license and shoot something, you have broken the law and can be in huge trouble.
And on the bad news side: it may actually be too late this year to get your hunting license. Many instructors will be away hunting or whatever at this time of year. You take the course, get your results, go get your hunter number, then you go to walmart or where ever and buy your hunting license and then a deer tag etc. You wont need any tags for grouse.

hope this helps!

Hunting4Life
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
yes but once i have both hunters license and pal i can hunt alone is wat i am saying.

TPB
08-31-2010, 12:13 PM
yes but once i have both hunters license and pal i can hunt alone is wat i am saying.

Yes that is right, but you have to be 18 to get a PAL and hunt by yourself

palmer
08-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi, im 15 and live in west van, just got a cz redhead deluxe 20 guage, i would like to know where is the closest place i can LEGALLY hunt for grouse,quail, pheasant or any other legal upland bird species. i dont want to know anyones secret spot i just mean a general area. thanks for helping out a new hunter!

thanks Cole:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

NO hunting by yourself as you state you are only 15....you have a few years to wait

pete_k
08-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Do you have someone to hunt with?
Maybe see about joining a fish and game club if you don't.
Probably get someone to mentor you.

The old timers are best. You might get to learn some of thier knowledge which took them a lifetime. Gives you a better chance at success.

Hunting4Life
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
For minors, there is a license called the Minors' License. This licence allows a minor to possess non-restricted rifles or shotguns without needing to be under direct supervision of a licensed adult, conditions may be included with the Minor's Licence and may be changed in the future as the child becomes older. To be eligible, the minor must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. An interview with the CFO may be held with the minor and a guardian or parent before the license is issued to the minor. However, the minor cannot register firearms under the license or inherit or receive one as a gift. straight out of the regs for minor pal so yeah, i can shoot alone, get ur facts straight guys,...

britman101
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Listen young fella, what I suggest you do is to get from your local sporting goods shop the current copy of the Hunting and Trapping Regs. for B.C. and to read it especially for the managment area you will be hunting which is the lower mainland. Seeing that you are only fifteen, if you think for one minute you can hop on a bike or take public transit with a firearm with shells on your person, I have to ask who adminstered the CORE training to you?? The reason why they want a parent or guardian present with you is not only for supervision, but also for liability reasons. For instance, what if an errant shot of yours, hit the side of a barn or green house for instance. The landowner would want compensation for any damage done on his property. This will all be pointed out to you when you try and get a hunting licence.

Note: Read another of your posts sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences to your family. What I would suggest is to join a fish and game club in your area. That would be a good place to start.

The Dawg
08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
He's already stated he doesn't have his CORE.

I think he's just a troll

pmj
08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
For minors, there is a license called the Minors' License. straight out of the regs for minor pal so yeah, i can shoot alone, get ur facts straight guys,...

Nicely done Hunting 4 Life:-D. I think a few peope here just learned something new. It is nice to see people who know the rules and play by them.

I posted the link for those who would like to read more. I hope you find some one to take you out hunting. I will keep you in mind if I am able to be of assistance.

Paul J.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/minor-mineur-eng.htm
A minor’s licence permits the borrowing of non-restricted firearms (ordinary rifles and shotguns) for the following activities:

target practice
organized shooting competitions
hunting
being instructed in the use of firearms A minor's licence also permits the acquisition of ammunition, unless there is an age restriction under provincial or territorial law.

A firearms officer may interview the applicant or their parent/guardian, who must first agree and consent to the conditions under which the minor may use firearms, before a minor's licence will be issued.
Conditions may be placed on the licence. For example, some supervision may be required when they use a firearm.

hoochie
08-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (19 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence and be accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of that person. Accompanied under the Wildlife Act means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by un-amplified voice with that person.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#FirearmRegs

TPB
08-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Nicely done Hunting 4 Life:-D. I think a few peope here just learned something new. It is nice to see people who know the rules and play by them.

Im intrigued as i am a junior but why is it that i've never heard anyone talk about this and it is stated in no regs or anything where a person would see it? Seems pretty simple to get so why doesn't everyone have one? Defeats the purpose of the P.A.L. or no? Thanks for the info

hoochie
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Im intrigued as i am a junior but why is it that i've never heard anyone talk about this and it is stated in no regs or anything where a person would see it? Seems pretty simple to get so why doesn't everyone have one? Defeats the purpose of the P.A.L. or no? Thanks for the info

It 2 different things.
The firearms one allows a youth to shoot without direct supervision and the example given is a biathlete. A young athlete will not be able to compete if a parent or guardian has to be skiing along side them.
The Core on the other hand is required for people to hunt animals. the animals are government property and you have to take a course ( ethics, firearm safety etc) in order to legally hunt and kill one of the governments' animals.

In the list posted by "PMJ" is simply a list of activities in which a youth may legally use a firearm. It is a mistake of fact ( a misunderstanding) to think that someone can hunt without a hunting license because hunting is listed as one of the legal activities in which a youth may use or borrow a firearm.

If the list did not include "hunting" this would mean that a youth could use or borrow a firearm for all other things that were listed, but it does not mean they can hunt with a bow or by other means. Think of that list as a set of things a youth can do if they take all the steps needed to participate in such an activity. Notice where the list says "organized shooting competitions ", but it doesnt make any mention of how to join a club, what type of club or what type of shooting competition? see how its a generalization? The same holds true with the hunting part of it... there is more involved in hunting than simply having a PAL or a minors permit.

A youth firearms license should have been discussed during the PAL training. 2 of our kids got their PALs done when they were 14 and 15. They took the course together, then after that course we sent them to do their CORE so they could hunt along side us.

Hunting without a "hunting license" and "tags" (if needed) would be considered poaching.

Hope this helps: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#FirearmRegs

"Note that in addition to the FAC or federal firearms licence, in order to hunt, you also need a hunting licence issued by the province.
If you are just carrying a rifle or shotgun in the bush, you must have a valid federal firearms licence.
The Federal Minors Permit is generally issued to youth in B.C. between the ages of 12 to 17 who need to use a firearm in an unsupervised situation. This occurs for youth that participate in biathlon competition. It is hard for the adult to supervise the youth while the youth is skiing through the woods.
Youth (ages 10 to 18 inclusive) who participate in hunting in B.C. must be accompanied by an adult (19 years or older) who holds a valid hunting licence and be accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of that person. Accompanied under the Wildlife Act means to remain in the company of the other person, able to see the other person without the aid of any device other than ordinary corrective lenses and able to communicate by un-amplified voice with that person."

TPB
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
It 2 different things.

I beg to differ because on that link you posted it clearly states that its meant for hunting as well? Not trying to doubt you just trying to make thing clear

betteroffishing
09-01-2010, 07:00 AM
then stop referencing government documents , they are only intended to confuse matters . lol

eaglesnester
09-01-2010, 08:55 AM
be sure you get your quota of grouse tags

Hunting4Life
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
ok ok i get it lol i just saw the same thing pmj did so i guess i was mistaken, sorry!

Chuck
09-01-2010, 09:55 AM
alright can u provide a link to the regs pls? :-)

Ooouucch! It's okay, you'll learn.