PDA

View Full Version : Health costs gut Fish & Wildlife Branch

goatdancer
08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Just read an article in BC Outdoors Sport Fishing. Absolutely blew my mind. Environment Minister Barry Penner stated that the high cost of health care was stopping him from getting more funds for his department and in fact having to make even more cuts. These pearls of wisdom occured at the annual meeting of the BCWF in Prince George.
In 1976 the F&W Branch had 641 staff members. In 2010 they have 215. When asked what had improved so much that they could operate with such a limited staff, his response was that health care was so much cheaper in 1976 that they could afford to have such a large staff. Amazing.

Ltbullken
08-29-2010, 12:41 PM
The 2010 Olympics and the funding to support the infrastructure for the Games may have had something to do with it as well but don't expect a government member to admit that any time soon... :roll:

One of them
08-29-2010, 01:09 PM
He's not bullshitting. Have a look at the balance sheet for the province: http://www.bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2010/bfp/2010_Budget_Fiscal_Plan.pdf - pay attention to page 13, that's the part that's shows what it costs to run this province.

Take a look at what it costs to deliver health care to our province. Notice it seems to be the only budget that continues to rise? It's called politics, and the health care sector has the trump card. Everytime.

Rather than just bitching blindly, try reading into a topic like this abit (I mean outside of fishing and hunting mags), you may be surprised at what you find. :wink:

demlake
08-29-2010, 01:11 PM
That's a document prepared by the Liberals.

I wouldn't believe any of it.

They create their budgets from the same recipe as the NDP: fudge.

One of them
08-29-2010, 03:06 PM
That's a document prepared by the Liberals.

I wouldn't believe any of it.

They create their budgets from the same recipe as the NDP: fudge.

Hmmmmm...

Believe what you want to believe folks. Fact is health care costs are rising & are the most political service out there. The money has to come from somewhere.

We could be squeaky wheels!? Oh wait, we already are.

Quit smoking (and expecting the rest of us to pay for your time in hospital while you die slowly of your own stupidity)?

Eat properly (you mean I have to think for myself?)?

Get your fat ass out and exercise (But it feels so good to ride my quad!)?

Or we could just keeping whining that we are victims, and the world is going to hell in a hand basket. :?

goatdancer
08-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I am well aware of the rising health care costs. Why is there lots of money for advertising and other such useless crap and no money to look after the valuable resources of our province? It appears that the priorities of what is valuable and what is not is determined by politics, not common sense.

Jelvis
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Rising taxes and cut backs from now on it's started and is going up with taxes and cutting off expenses which is employees.
By a year from now, lots will be canned in the government and private.
JP Moregun .. the stimulus is over soon .. ten thousand jobs lost last month in Canada. 500 thousand in USA also half million people on ei go on welfare in September their unemployment enjoyment runs out ..
You will be lucky to have a job past 2012

goatdancer
08-29-2010, 03:41 PM
In case anybody didn't notice, these cuts have happened over 34 years. That just goes to show you what all the different governments think about our fish and wildlife. Just where are our licence, LEH, and other fees being wasted?

willy442
08-29-2010, 04:24 PM
In case anybody didn't notice, these cuts have happened over 34 years. That just goes to show you what all the different governments think about our fish and wildlife. Just where are our licence, LEH, and other fees being wasted?

Those are the questions that all outdoorsmen should be asking.

Jagermeister
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
The 2010 Olympics and the funding to support the infrastructure for the Games may have had something to do with it as well but don't expect a government member to admit that any time soon... :roll:I think that the games played a biggest roll in the deficit and it is totally irresponsibile for Penner to foist if off on health care.
Health care is for the benefit of the population at large, the olympics were for the benefit of the few.

silvicon
08-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Gordon once went on BCTV and admitted that fron every $ spend on health care, 90 cents go to union wages.
Is it not high time to clean up this mess?

abolt
08-29-2010, 09:07 PM
I would'nt believe anything gordo say's. He loves to blame everything on the working class. Like what has already been said here, There was lot's of money kicking around for the Olympics. We need to take care of our wildlife, and Without enforcement there's no chance of that.

Jelvis
08-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Lotta a lay oafs coming and higher taxes .. only way to fight poverty

betteroffishing
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
grand scheme of things , the olympics cost sweet f-ck all. and so far as complaining how our worldly decisions these days seem more to be based on politics than science , wake on up to your demoracy in action. if not for we the sheeple their would be no need for politics.