PDA

View Full Version : dead bear in pemby

Shop Lord
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
My buddy and I got a nice bear this morning. I spotted it as we walked down an old logging road at the bottom of a huge slash. The bear was about 400 yards away, downhill. I've got a bum leg and it was really steep where we were so Darcy went down after it. He cut the distance in half and found a solid rest on a stump. I got to watch the stalk unfold from my vantage point. The bear finally turned broadside and Darcy made a perfect shot with his 7mm. The bear made it about 50 yards before he went down. I could tell the bear had some colour and when we got down to him we were in for a surprise. He was the colour of red wine. I've never seen one this shade of red. There were a couple of problems though. I glassed this bear for 15 minutes and was convinced he was huge. As we got close to him we realized there was significant ground shrinkage. He was just 6 feet but still a mature male. The second problem was he had no fur from his ears to his nose. I'm not sure if mites or ticks got him or what? When I was watching him I could see that his face was a different colour but I thought it was dirt or something. We skinned and deboned him and had the bear back to the truck by noon. Its incredible how deceiving bears can be - I've shot 5 and Darcy has shot at least that many and we both thought he was bigger than that. All in all he was a respectable boar with a beautifull red coat ( except his face ). Does anyone know what might have caused him to be bald. There were no obvious bite marks and not a single hair from his ears to his nose.

boonerbuck
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
I wish I had an explanation but I don't.

Is there any way you can gets some pics posted. I would like to see his coloration.

A 6 foot bear is not small, just not huge. You guys did alright.

jethrobuddy
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I have seen that before. we have a valley that has a bear like that in it. The bald face, not the red color. He is called "monkey face" by a couple of the local hunters. No one has shot him yet, probably won't either. He is a very wise boar. Usually only see him from a far. As for the no hair on his face..........I got nothing for an explaination.

Iron-Head
04-26-2006, 10:37 PM
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on the bear Sounds very unique, but pics are a must.
Symon

Mr. Dean
04-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Could this be mange?????

3kills
04-26-2006, 11:08 PM
i agree pics....could it be just from him rubbing like how other bears get bald spots?

Husky7mm
04-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Was there scaby skin with lots of bugs in the fur? Was the bear bony?

Onesock
04-27-2006, 06:12 AM
I was told this happens in the den from the condensation of their breath on their facial hair. As a matter of fact I got one just like this last week. The taxidemist I called said they call these bears monkey faced also.

Walksalot
04-27-2006, 06:18 AM
Can bears get ring worm?

Dragginbait
04-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Sounds like he needs to go to the "bair club for men". Did you get any pix?:p

Foxer
04-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Sounds like he needs to go to the "bair club for men".

Groooaaannnn!! :) hehehe.

Nothing wrong with a 6 ft bear bud.

Shop Lord
04-27-2006, 09:44 AM
I,ve seen bears that have rubbed their hair off and this bear didn't look like that. The condensation theory sounds good. The bear was in great shape otherwise, thick hide and lots of fat. I know that a 6 foot bear isn't small its just that we were trying to be picky and we were sure that this bear was HUGE. He was still a great bear but I'm not sure about the mount. Pics are coming.

bighornbob
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I have seen quite a few bears like this (bald face) at the taxidermists. He also calls them monkey face bears.

BHB

Elkhound
04-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Nice job, would love to see the colour. Thats funny, I was just telling Symon last week that I know of a bear that has a face like a gorilla. None of us will shoot him cause he is sooooo ugly:shock:

talver
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
how is it up there thinking of going up this weekend????????

Shop Lord
04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
The bears are out. Last weekend I went out and saw only deer - no bears or bear sign. This weekend there were 5 piles in the same area and I saw 3 bears. I followed one with my bow and came across a winter kill deer that he had been feeding on. It was super thick bush and alittle spooky standing there with only a bow and no backup. There were 3 piles of bear scat right in with what was left of the deer. Everythings just starting to green up so its only going to get better.

Foxer
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Thats funny, I was just telling Symon last week that I know of a bear that has a face like a gorilla. None of us will shoot him cause he is sooooo ugly

Hehehe - i heard he tells the bear the same thing about symon tho.. :) (JK!)

Elkhound
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Hehehe - i heard he tells the bear the same thing about symon tho.. :) (JK!)

Ssssssshhhhhhhh! I said that in confidence:wink:

quadrakid
04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
he,s one of those rare males that uses that electric razor the cubs got him last xmas.