PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cam Set up Advice

Cyrus
08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I am going to head up to 100 Mile where a friend has about a 1000 acres of land to set up my trail cam. What do you guys look for in an area to set one up? beaten down game trail? open area? I was also thinking of picking up a salt block and a bag of grain or something to help entice them into the cameras view....Any suggestions appreciated. Will post pics if I get any....

steepNdeep
08-27-2010, 04:37 PM
We have 10,000,000 acres... it's called crown land. :wink: Yeah, you're on teh right track... set up at a water hole, on an old buck rub line or game trail...

Slinky Pickle
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Look for a game trial that ideally runs north, south. Put the camera beside the trail so it looks north, up the trail. That way the animal is in view of the camera for as long as possible. The reason for looking north is so the rising/setting sun doesn't set off the camera (it's heat sensitive, not motion sensitive). Then put a little salt on the trail about 10-15 feet from the camera so that the critters have a reason to stop for a minute as they wander through.

A camera won't find animals, it will only show them to you if you manage to put it where they are. You're right, you have to find the sign, tracks or trails of the critters then place the camera there.