PDA

View Full Version : Help with my drop-away

millman911
08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone. This is my first post and i hope you can help. Im shotting a pse axe 6 and the 2010 rip cord drop-away. I`ve noted that my fletching is hitting on the rest. I know its not the drop-away for the marks are on the part that is down when in the shooting position. I thinking the arrrow spine is bending and causing this. I know i`m shooting to light of arrows, they are radialX weave stl hunter 200. if i went to 300s would it help. thx

Bowzone_Mikey
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
try indexing your nocks

millman911
08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will have to look up what you mean by indexing my nocks. But it gives me somewhere to look tx.

hardnocks
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM
whats your nock point like . I am thinking its a little high. is your arrow square it the string ?

Bow Walker
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Arrow spine is measured in inches-of-deflection-from-center (or level), so if you go to a higher number that means that the arrow is going to have a weaker spine, causing it to flex more. Sounds like you need a stiffer arrow.

But, I suspect that your problem might be simply not shooting with the cock vane in the up position. You can correct that by indexing your nocks - which means turning the nock so that the cock vane is pointing straight up when you nock the arrow.

o.k. hardnocks - your rebuttal?

hardnocks
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
o.k. hardnocks - your rebuttal?[/quote]

HaHa no rebuttal

Ike
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
milman,

What length of arrow, point weight and draw length are you shooting?

millman911
08-28-2010, 03:43 AM
i shoot 27 in arrows with 100gr tips. also my arrows are fletched with 2in blazers. my axe is a 60lb pull with a draw of 28 in.

hardnocks
08-28-2010, 05:18 AM
I have never even seen a ripcord rest. .A stiffer spined arrow would sure help. And like bowwalker said turn your cock vane up. Blazer vanes are a high profile vane . so try something with a lower profile .

Bow Walker
08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Here hardnocks, I'll try to confuse and obfuscate for you again...:mrgreen:

Here is a Ripcord rest.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/RipCord-Black-Red.jpg

millman911 could be getting vane contact on the launcher arms (at the sides) because the launcher doesn't fall away fast enough. Those Axe bows are pretty fast. If I recall correctly, the Ripcord can be adjusted for a quicker fall away - just be careful of launcher arm bounce back before the arrow has cleared the rest, although they claim "no bounce back".

The Blazer vanes are only 1/2" high as far as profile goes, but they could be contacting the arms, I suppose. Another thing might be the rest adjustment by way of the attached cord to the buss cable. Maybe tighten it up a bit.

Best thing to do is to read the installation instructions very carefully and make sure you got the thing working right.

Slugman
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey on a bit of a side note PSE has broke from the norm and decided to list arrow spine alittle backwards - for some reason the number on their arrows don't reflect spine just arrow type. So a 200 has more flex then a 300. Don't ask me why they thought that was a great idea!

Slugman
08-28-2010, 11:11 AM
You may be on to something there with the spine being too low for agressive cams like the ones on your Axe. Mikey suggested nock indexing, in its simplest form it is just turning the nock, say a quarter at a time and trying it. What this actually may accomplish is to find the 'backbone' or stiffest portion of the arrow. The way arrows are manufactured actually creates one portion of the arrow that is slightly stiffer then other sections around the arrow. By indexing or placing the nock in a way that puts this stiffer portion on the top or bottom of the arrow, related to how it leaves the string you avoid uneven flexing of the arrow shaft.
This little trick might allow you to make these arrows work for you, even if you feel they may have a little too much flex.
Can't see the Rip Cord bouncing back it really seems to be a pretty bomb proof design but if the arrow thing doesn't do it some rest tweaking as mentioned to dial up the response time of the arm should do it.
Hope the nock indexing break down helps a little!

millman911
08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
my fletching is hitting the small red spot on the rip-cord at the very bottom.(referring to the photo, bow walker posted)

Ambush
08-28-2010, 01:01 PM
my fletching is hitting the small red spot on the rip-cord at the very bottom.(referring to the photo, bow walker posted)

Shoot cock feather up. I have a Rip Cord, Code Red on a PSE Bow Madness and have no issues this way. Not quite as fast as the Axe. Follow the instuctions on timing the rest VERY carefully. Don't get lazy or cheat by having it pick the arrow up too early.
You should be fine with a 400 spine [actual spine] at that length and draw wieght.
I shoot cock feather up on my Mathews with a drop away as well.

Level your nocking point to your rest and start over.

Slugman
08-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Yup, thats the tip off! Mikey, Bowwalker and Ambush nailed that one! Sounds like you have the cock vane down if thats only were it is hitting. Make sure too that the arrow is hitting the target straight not tailing down or up that would indicate a nock point adjustment is needed.

Ike
08-28-2010, 04:29 PM
One other thing is make sure your rest is parallel to the bow shelf at down position, so that the portion being hit by the vane is not sitting above the pivot point. If the rest is not set u pto drop in the first frew inches you wil get contact on the arm as well, I had a bear of a time with that type of contact on my QAD until I got it tuned out.

I am shooting 27" 200s fine through my Axe 6, (60#, 28"dl, 100gr points) and spine is good.

Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
With my Blazers If I dont index the nocks just right I have contact on my cables .... But I also have an offset Cable guard(sort of ... a deep channel slide is more like it) to combat side tourqe forces and Cam Lean (a problem with short ATA bows).

Sorry it took so long to get back ... But yea indexing was described above as rotating your arrow as to not get contact ... Slugman saved me from writting my next piece of advice in his last post...thanks Cam

index your nocks ... let us know

Mikey

killman
08-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd listen to this guy. I'd bet he knows what he is talking about.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/045.JPG

millman911
08-28-2010, 09:24 PM
thanks everyone. i will try indexing. Im sure it will work

Bowzone_Mikey
08-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd listen to this guy. I'd bet he knows what he is talking about.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/045.JPG

He cant know all that much ... He let his buddies shoot the bigger ones ;)
Maybe he is just nice ....LOL

Bow Walker
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
See that sight that he's got on his bow? It's a Spot Hogg Real Deal. Tough as nails. Great choice for Goats or Sheep or just plain rugged hunting conditions.

There. I side-tracked the thread...

millman911
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks every one. I index my arrows and seems to have fix the problem. Hunting time know. Good luck to all and enjoy.

Bow Walker
09-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Glad to be of some sort of help to you. God luck this season.