PDA

View Full Version : Goats: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Ambush
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
We left PG at 5:00AM on the 14th and drove west. A quick stop in Hazelton for a final bit of junk food [I hate Kitwanga] then nothing but healthy living for the next nine days. The first five days were hot and dry, but we did manage to get stuck in a snow storm and had frost at night. That helped the bug situation anyway. Typical mountain weather!!

Many thanks to my long time hunting partner Mtnbowhunter and to my relatively new "Sherpa" ThinAir. It's great when these young, strong guys make it possible for us seniors to still make it into the mountains.

I don't have much time right now to do a write up, and there are several real good reads going on right now anyway. So here is a quick over view and I'll let the other two hunters fill in the rest.

We'll call this hunt "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly"

First the "Good".
Thin Air nailed this good billy on the first day, after a good stalk and a one arrow, 24 yard shot. It died in a good place as far as goats go. Great job. Not much else to say, the guy git's-er done!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00715.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20226&size=big&cat=500)

Then, "The Good, the Bad..."
Mtnbowhunter hunted hard for several days and suffered a few heartbreaker failed stalks, before making good on a thirty yard shot. Good goat, good stalk and good shot. As we sat looking at the billy, laying fifty yards away, he just starting rolling. Slowly and gently, like a water balloon, he made his way about 400 yards further down the slope.
The "Bad" part here was the extremely long, steep climb out of the valley.
Way to go Buddy!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/00319.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20227&size=big&cat=500)

Now "The Good, the Bad AND the Ugly"

Ambush got this Billy on the second day. The "Good" part is a low percentage stalk went perfectly and a solid double lung shot killed him in less than twenty yards.
The "Bad" part is a miss-judgement in size, I think coupled with some wishfull thinking on my part means this guy misses the P&Y minimum by less than an inch.
The "Ugly" is ugly. The twenty yards he travelled put the billy on a cliff edge and when he collapsed he fell several hundred feet sliding and careening off the cliffs to land on the rocks below. In the pic, he looks like he was drug on a gravel road behind Fisher Dude's quad for the weekend. We couldn't reach him untill late the next morning. One horn came right off and the other was hanging on by some hide. Seems only landed on his head as the entire hind was good. ThinAir found the missing horn about 100 feet above on a slide. We stuck things back together as best we could for the pics. That's his good side showing.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/045.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20228&size=big&cat=500)

Krico
08-26-2010, 10:48 PM
3 for 3, good job guys. With bows nonetheless!

ThinAir had the nerve to show up for beers last night without the pics. Shameful, really...thanks for comin through Ambush!

BCbillies
08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Been waiting for this post! Wow, that's as good as it gets . . . three bowhunters with three billies. Great accomplishment, I'm sure it wasn't easy!

porcupine
08-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Congratulations on a good hunt. I go for my first billy in less than two weeks. Can't wait.

Brambles
08-26-2010, 11:53 PM
nice work guys, bow hunting goats is gotta be tough work. Congrats on a great tripple header

08-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Way to go guys, good job, pretty high probability for a bit of the bad and ugly to happen on any goat hunt...!

uraarchr
08-26-2010, 11:57 PM
nothin ugly about that hunt.congrats on the goats

Ruger4
08-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Great story , nice goats gents ,noticed your all shooting classy bows too , nice to see !! :mrgreen:

pitbell
08-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Wow 3 for 3, and all billys!
You guys are hardcore. Good job, it's hard enough getting the ambition to go after them with a rifle let alone sticks and strings!

killman
08-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Great Job guy's! I agree classy bows

Peters Wildlife
08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
WOW! Great job guys. Great looking Billies!

Gus
08-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Finally!! Gees, took you long enough to get this up! Great job all three of you. Quite the feat, three good billies all with archery tackle. Congrats!

rifleman
08-27-2010, 08:56 AM
what an accomplishment. very impressive you guys. good hunt

Elkhound
08-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Great job with the bows guys...awesome work

demlake
08-27-2010, 09:03 AM
That looks like ankle breaking terrain. I'd be happy just to be able to get up there, let along stalk a goat succcessfully.

Congrats on the hunt.

Tenacious Billy
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Nice work fellas!! Heard the story, but hadn't seen the pics yet......3 hard earned trophies there.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Year after year you guys "walk the walk" and make this archery thing look easy:cool: .................but it sure isn't.

Congrats gentlemen!!

SSS

cainer
08-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Well that was a pretty easy read for a hunt that was probably the complete opposite.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Great Job Guys .....

TSW
08-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Goat hunt with rifle...very difficult hunt.
Goat hunt with bow...harder still.
Bow hunt for goat going 3 for 3 billies...nearly impossible. Way to go guys. That's a whole other ball game that I am not ready for. Way to stick through and get 'er done. You guys are clearly killers.
PS I thought for sure the "ugly" part of this hunt was going to be ThinAir.

RoadKing
08-27-2010, 11:52 AM
PS I thought for sure the "ugly" part of this hunt was going to be ThinAir.

It's time for a re-post of the infamous "Rabbi" pictures. Great goats guys.

rollingrock
08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
That's hardcore! Good hunt!

BiG Boar
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
phenom guys....my mouth is open in awe! Something like this doesnt happen too often. Congradulations to each of you on something that is totally wicked.

ThinAir
08-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a hunt we won't soon forget.

Great partners, willing to help each other stalk/pack etc.. aren't always easy to find, especially in the high country.

I've been on quite a few rifle(goat ) hunts, but this was my first time dedicated with the bow. I'm amazed how lethal a double lunged shot on a goat is. All our billies died with one shot and very quickly I might add.

I was lucky enough to get a B&C goat in 2005, and since then it's been my goal to put a P&Y beside him on the wall....well now I can!:-D

I will forever be "camerman" on most goat hunts from now on!:mrgreen:

TSW
08-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Great news ThinAir! We could use a cameraman on our goat hunt this fall and with your tag out of the way Skyline and I are going to be in prime position!! (ah, who are we kidding...you were cameraman the whole time after your B&C beast!!) Maybe BCBillies is going to come and join in the fun now!!

pete_k
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Hats off guys.
Sounds like ALOT of grunt work ensued going up and down those rocky slopes.
Inspires me to get into shape.

kennyj
08-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Good work guys! Those goats are tough to get with a bow.
kenny

BCbillies
08-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Great news ThinAir! We could use a cameraman on our goat hunt this fall and with your tag out of the way Skyline and I are going to be in prime position!! (ah, who are we kidding...you were cameraman the whole time after your B&C beast!!) Maybe BCBillies is going to come and join in the fun now!!

Alrighty things are coming together . . . cameraman . . . check. :-D If I don't cut my tag in September we go for the triple in November . . . "Goats: The Stinky, The Stinkier and The Stinkiest." I'm third shooter so I know what I'm getting! :wink:

Kitimat Killer
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
way to go guys thats awesome congrats big time

kk

mntbowhunter
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the all kind notes. It was a great hunt. That is sure some steep country though. It was a blast though and I won't ever forget that hunt.

Morning 2 was not that pleasant when we woke to find some rodent ate my pack, hiking poles and THINAIR's ear off his cape!

We should have got all the kills on camera, but I am a horible cameraman. Thinairs's footage would have been pretty sweet if I didnt hit the record button instead of the zoom as I was right over his shoulder at 24 yards! My bad.

It was incredilble though

ydouask
08-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Every Goat hunt is an adventure and one often gets more than they bargained for. You guys did really well, congrats.

BlacktailStalker
08-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Thats great guys, quite the accomplishment :cool:

greybark
08-27-2010, 08:17 PM
:-DHey Ambush , loved the story`s and great photo`s . Well done . Your broken horn thingy happened to me on B Mtn a long way back and I know how you felt . A great hunt nevertheless .
Cheers

Big Lew
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Absolutely fantastic, 3 for 3, and with archery equipment to boot! It takes a lot of preparation, planing, research, and most of all, finding partners that work and help each other to make it all happen....congratulations to all 3 of you, we're envious and happy for you. ( You should seriously consider selling your story to an magazine.)

gun_rat82
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
nice work dude!!

The Hermit
08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Excellent!! Thanks for the pics and story.

TSW
08-27-2010, 09:30 PM
As we sat looking at the billy, laying fifty yards away, he just starting rolling. Slowly and gently, like a water balloon, he made his way about 400 yards further down the slope.

I laughed at the water balloon comment--that's great way of putting it. I know that feeling of helplessness as you watch your goat slowly role away!! Gerrygoat tenderized a goat like that a few years ago and BCBillies got the whole thing on video. It keeps going, and going and going!!!

Marc
08-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Good going guys! Looks like 2010 is going to be the year for spectacular adventures and stories!

Fisher-Dude
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Great story and goats guys! Crabs, I'm honoured to have received mention in your verbage! :mrgreen:

Onesock
08-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Congrats boys. GREAT HUNT and thanks for the story.

Kirby
08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats to all 3. Looks like a good hunt.

Kirby

luckynuts
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Jeesh I thought I posted on pg 3???

Again great story and amazing hunt. 3 goats with bows will be tuff to be Though I'm sure you guys will impress yet again. how many days did it take to get it done?

Make sure you get a the camera close up and personal on Bcbillies if he's using his 375:-D

W.

Alrighty things are coming together . . . cameraman . . . check. :-D If I don't cut my tag in September we go for the triple in November . . . "Goats: The Stinky, The Stinkier and The Stinkiest." I'm third shooter so I know what I'm getting! :wink:

ThinAir
08-28-2010, 07:07 PM
I promise some good video of BCBillies and company....we head for the hills again this Nov.

I have a feeling were gonna hammer a good one!

Mik
08-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Phenominal, I know the feeling of helplessness, then the climb down and hoping the horns are still attached;) looks like you guys had a great time and 3 trophies ta boot!! Congratulations

pickerjim
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM
wow nice pics guys the memories will last a lifetime.i am going on my first ever goat hunt in sept.and am not quite sure what i m getting into but am looking forward to it just the same.i am hoping to get er done with archery equipment but will have my rifle along just in case i am running out of time.you guys have just inspired me and hopefully i will be posting pics,i just hope its all good ...no bad and no ugly

Crazy_Farmer
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Congratulations!!! This time next month I hope to be up in the mountains in search of my first billy. Fueling the Fire. Thanks!

pg83
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Awesome job on the three billies you guys. Three with rifles in a couple days is already a chore nevermind getting inside 30 yards on all of them. Gets me pumped for my turn next month

BCrams
08-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Fantastic job on the archery goats! An excellent achievement! Can't wait to see about that LEH Skeena goat authorization burning a hole in my booklet!

Flingin' Sticks
09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd seen the pictures, but this was the first I've heard the stories. Congrats to all three of you. Hopefully I'll be able to get a trip together next year and give this game a try. So by my count that's score three for the non-LEH guys... and how have the other 2 LEH goons fared so far?

6 K
09-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Good job boys,
Hope to cut that blue and white striped tag myself this year. I was out scouting tonight but may have to wait till next year to go in there.

mntbowhunter
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Flingin sticks, the non LEH guys are up 3-0. Hope all is good, take er easy

Amphibious
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
congrats! you should be very proud of your accomplishments!

coach
09-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Congratulations, guys. A triple header with bows - wow! Very impressive. I'm hoping for my first goat this year with my LEH in 4-38. I hunted them last year, and it's quite addicting. Photos and stories like yours are what really get the blood pumping for the upcoming days in the mountains.