PDA

View Full Version : Farrell Creek Elk

afflicted 1
08-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Just wondering how the elk hunting on lower Farrell would be out towards Hudson Hope. My concern is whether the elk would be farther up in sept or down above the peace. I've also noticed theres a lot of private land in there, is access an issue. Would I be better off trying the Halfway or Mile 95?

bridger
08-26-2010, 11:56 PM
the upper halfway has a lot more private land and fewer elk than farrel creek.

shawnwells
08-27-2010, 01:54 AM
all i know is all those areas are all getting hit by hunters from outta town like a sonofabitch these days

bridger
08-27-2010, 07:03 AM
all i know is all those areas are all getting hit by hunters from outta town like a sonofabitch these days

as in residents of bc that have the right to hunt in every area of the province as do you?

elkdom
08-27-2010, 07:12 AM
as in residents of bc that have the right to hunt in every area of the province as do you?

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

CanuckShooter
08-27-2010, 07:24 AM

with the regs loosening in the Koots this might dissipate a little??

3kills
08-27-2010, 07:40 AM
the lower farrell has lots of private property and i have been told that access is a problem. alot of farmers only give permission to the guides up there.

bridger
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
the lower farrell has lots of private property and i have been told that access is a problem. alot of farmers only give permission to the guides up there.

lots of private land in that area for sure and as happens elsewhere in the province sometime it takes time to gain landowner permission. there is also a guide outfitter area in farrell creek that takes in lots of private land and some landowners do give permission only to the g/o as a business arrangement. just a fact of life, but there is quite a bit of crown land in the area that you can access with sucess. mostly a matter of doing your homework and putting in the time.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-27-2010, 09:27 AM
lots of private land in that area for sure and as happens elsewhere in the province sometime it takes time to gain landowner permission. there is also a guide outfitter area in farrell creek that takes in lots of private land and some landowners do give permission only to the g/o as a business arrangement. just a fact of life, but there is quite a bit of crown land in the area that you can access with sucess. mostly a matter of doing your homework and putting in the time.

it's best to ask a head of time and not with the bull in his field bugling LOL...tried that did not work...bring fish if your from the LML for permission

BCrams
08-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Just wondering how the elk hunting on lower Farrell would be out towards Hudson Hope. My concern is whether the elk would be farther up in sept or down above the peace. I've also noticed theres a lot of private land in there, is access an issue. Would I be better off trying the Halfway or Mile 95?

the upper halfway has a lot more private land and fewer elk than farrel creek.

Most of the lower Farrel Creek is private land but once you go north and cross the Farrel Creek bridge itself (I think somewhere past 30 km) its mostly crown land (but do not take my word on it). Attempting to hunt before that mark without permission is pretty much asking for trouble.

Private land access is an issue on the lower area. The local guide outfitter ties up most of the land as well as a couple ranchers who only lets the guide and another with his friends hunt as bridger says below.

there is also a guide outfitter area in farrell creek that takes in lots of private land and some landowners do give permission only to the g/o as a business arrangement. .

pickerjim
08-29-2010, 10:09 AM
better what that guide he can be quite the dick to deal with i remember a few years ago my son and i hunted in that area went in on a lease road and was told to get out because he wasnt going to lose all the time he put in scouting in an area to someone from town. i just asked him do you own the land he said no but he is the outfitter and therefore has the right to ask you to leave. i just said excuse me but you dont own the land it is crown land and i can hunt here all i want just because you have an outfiting licsence doest give you the right to dictated who can and cant hunt crown land.the son of a biatch called me into the hudson hope rcmp and told them i was on private land since then i no longer hunt this area

pappy
08-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I can`t stand outfitters, they have no respect for residents.

PeaceHunter
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Whether you agree with his sentiment or not, he speaks the truth. Way to many local hunters (as in live in the region) are giving up the sport because they can't find a place to hunt anymore that isn't completely crowded out and it is mostly from people out of town (Vancouver, Prince George, Quesnel, wherever). It has gotten to the point where it is actually dangerous to hunt some areas because of the hunter densities. Only solution to this is for Ministry of Environment to open up opportunities in other areas of the province and look at the pressure they are creating in certain areas by having very few GOS seasons in the province.