PDA

View Full Version : Kwadacha River by boat

stoneslinger
08-26-2010, 07:46 PM
How far can a shallow water riverboat travel up the Kwadacha from Fort Ware? Anybody done it? How many hours up? Any chance of getting reasonably close to the headwaters?

Just curious. It has always been on my "to boat" list.

Riverratz
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Don't have any knowledge of Kwadacha.
I always thought the Akie would be an interesting trip. Buddy flew up Akie and reported to me that the mountain sides along it are pretty near vertical, but that was just his observation, not confirmed.

The only thing that stops me from trying any boat trips up that way is the fact that the truck/trailer, etc. has to be left at or near Ingenika or Ware.....don't think I have to elaborate any further on that.

stoneslinger
08-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I suppose it all depends on the amount of fuel one wants to burn.
Hows the water on the Akie?
Fort Ware area certainly does have it's problems.

Riverratz
08-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I suppose it all depends on the amount of fuel one wants to burn.
Hows the water on the Akie?
Fort Ware area certainly does have it's problems.

Buddy told me it was boat-able, and he used to own a jet-boat, so I tend to believe him. Have another bud who moved to the Koot's some years ago, he always talked about doing Akie, don't know if he ever did or not. I'll see what I can find out.

Mooseter
08-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Did the Akie about 20 yrs ago after a rainy spell. Had to go from Ingenika bay up lake then up Finlay. Got about 20Ks up the Akie and only stopped because had 3 moose and 2 goats and ran out of gas. Never did get to the Elk.
Went back 2 next years and no water at the mouth delta so gave it up. Watched the water levels for several years but could not work a trip around the rain and job.

IMO Its a matter of timing your trip with the rainfall.
Due to FNs someone needs to guard your stuff.

I wonder if you can put a boat in at the bridge crossing the Akie?

I haven't been past the new bridge over the Ingenika.