PDA

View Full Version : best way too sight in a crossbow scope

JeremyCarrano302
08-26-2010, 11:52 AM
my dad just bought a cross bow because he has a lot of shoulder problems and cannot pull a compound with hurting his shoulder
so i was just wondering on his scope there are 5 or 6 different lines in the cross hairs so what would be good approx. yardage settings per reticle thanks
this thing is fast we were shooting at my 3d target last night at 20 yards and the bolt almost went through the target
JC

Rodd
08-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Shoots pretty Flat out to 20yds, so start from there. Are the Graduations in the sight individually adjustable? If so then you can set 10 or 15yd intervals between, if all adjust together, then you need to determine the yardage between graticules, and its simple math from there. Your Dad will be deadly in archery season this year... I hunt with a guy who has the same type of problem and he shoots an Eastman crossbow, i still shoot my Darton Compound tho. Biggest difference i find is that during that moment of truth you have to draw a compound bow, as opposed to the crossbow being drawn and ready, no chance of spooking the animal while drawing your bow... My 2 cents!

pappy
08-26-2010, 12:45 PM
I sighted mine at 20 yards for the mainline, 30 yards for the second and so on. All shots on deer have been pass thru, crossbows have good power and after getting rid of my bow I might never swicht back from crossbows. Definately practice out to the farthest sight in line and become comfortable with the way it handles and have fun.

JeremyCarrano302
08-26-2010, 04:07 PM
the scopes just like a rifle scope but with extra lines going down

Caveman
08-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Check with the crossbow specs or the scope. One will tell you the yardages based on the #, for example my Horton 175 is 12 yards per line in the scope that I have mounted on it

Bowzone_Mikey
08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
it all depends on your bolt as well just because the bolt weighs 350 grains ...doesnt mean that a differant model of bolt that weighs 350 will drop at the same rate .... differant ways of manufacturing ..has differant energy retention properties.

358win
08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Need some more #'s Jeremy.
Type of crossbow Speed mostly.
Weight & type of broadhed and arrow style.
If you can let me know if the scope is a newer Eastman (sounds like it is)

Any info you can give will make it easier.