PDA

View Full Version : Spotter Opinion

WoodOx
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Dont really want to spend more than $1000, was looking at this - any opinions?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0041013712621a&navCount=5&podId=0041013&parentId=cat601587&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=netcon&catalogCode=XA&rid=2146251080&parentType=index&indexId=cat601587&hasJS=true

Bow Walker
08-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I always wonder why Vortex isn't considered more of an option...

The price is certainly right.

The warranty is as good as it gets.

The quality is as good as anyone's.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Vortex_Skyline_ED_20_60x80_Spotting_Scope_p/opt-000039.htm

I use GR as an example of a retailer because they are a sponsor here.

WoodOx
08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
my opinion of vortex, albeit completley irrational, is that i am concerned with its quality given its price. again, I know, not really rational...

troutseeker
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
my opinion of vortex, albeit completley irrational, is that i am concerned with its quality given its price. again, I know, not really rational...

I would not worry about Vortex's quality. I have one and am completely satisfied with it.

BiG Boar
08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Vortex is okay, its just not had a long time in the market, its got no track record in the field, I doubt the police and US army are using them. The product may be close in comparison, but if the company goes out of bussiness then thier warrenty is worth the paper its written on.

What I would like to know is what relationship Bow Walker has with Vortex as he is always pushing thier products. Hey if you're doing your job that is fine I would do the same, I am just wondering. Or maybe I am dead wrong.

I would look on Ebay. I picked up my swaro for 1300. A good deal, and worth looking for.

Elkaddict
08-26-2010, 03:00 PM
WoodOx,

I currently own and use a 60mm Nikon Fieldscope lll ED. I have few complaints with it. It has served me well for elk hunting.

If I had to complain it would be regarding the focus ring, and the eyepiece.

The focus ring is a little difficult to use for fine focus at the higher powers. I much prefer the smaller focus knobs mounted above the barrel on other spotters.

The eyepiece functions well, but you will find that you have to back down from max magnification when the light starts to fail because the image starts to become darkened and grainy. I think you would get similar results with similar eyepieces, with no great improvements until you get into the 77mm or 80mm scopes, which cost significantly more money.

Overall I think the Nikon gives good value, with optical quality approaching Euro glass at significantly less dollars. Another scope you may want to look at in the same ballpark is the Kowa TSN 660 series. http://www.optics4birding.com/kowa-tsn661-angled-1979.html The 66mm objective lens is supposed to allow 20% more light in which should give a brighter image and last longer into fading light. I am not convinced ED glass is necessary for our applications, and it does add significant cost to the optic. It would be nice to look through the Nikon and Kowa side by side. The only way you'd be able to tell for sure.

As a side note, I own two Vortex Viper rifle scopes. A 3-9X40 and a 2-7X32. I have no complaints with either scope. I looked through a Vortex spotter recently and was less than impressed. Granted it was one of their lower end models and not the top end Razor HD.

Rodd
08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I say look on ebay too, may be able to get a swaro that someone needs to get rid of for decent price..... I've used many and the swaro can definately save you many miles of hiking to get closer inspections, easy to look through, and focuses real well!

Moose72
08-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks HEAVY!

Fisher-Dude
08-26-2010, 04:50 PM
A guy with Wood-ox's dough should definitely buy one of the Big Three. You're wasting your money on anything else, because the first time you look through a Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss, you'll be saying "coulda shoulda woulda."

Spend the money once in your lifetime and do it right.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I say look on ebay too, may be able to get a swaro that someone needs to get rid of for decent price..... I've used many and the swaro can definately save you many miles of hiking to get closer inspections, easy to look through, and focuses real well!

I use a Zeiss and my hunting partner has a big HD swaro. We still have to get closer to get a better look most of the time.

Alpine85
08-26-2010, 05:24 PM
I have the 60mm one,but not in the ED. It has served me really well mountain hunting and glassing bucks all winter. That being said, used a buddys Zeiss this year sheep hunting and a partners Swaro last year. There is no doubt a difference, those eye peiecs compared to the Nikon make a world of difference.

Had I realized 4 years ago how much I would use a spotting scope all year, I would of bought a zeiss/swaro.Have spotted rams with my Nikon before my buddy with his Swaro though, so what ever path you take just practise glassing!

Terry