PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day was... interesting!

The Hermit
08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Got up early today and drove up behind Youbo and took a little walk with my longbow. didn't see anything all day long!

I decided to try to drive the back roads to Port Alberni but chickened out about 20 km shy at a bad wash out. Backtracked and wound my way up and over to NL Main and followed it all the way out... to the fricken locked gate! Turned around to drive back in, up and over and around to Youbo again but met some guys heading out in a logging vehicle. They were surprised that Nitnat gates were open and advised that the whole area is shut down due to fire hazard. I turned around again and followed them back out. Beautiful country back there! BTW - Saw LOTS of big fresh bear shit on NitNat Main Up.

Then I stopped in to Duncan Meadows G&C and played a round of golf on the way back to Victoria... baked in the sun but scored well and enjoyed the day!

Living the life on the island, hunting in the morning, a great backcoiuntry adventure, and a round of golf... topped off with dinner and a strong GT when I got home! And so the season starts!!

ohno
08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Lots of season left Bill. I think once this weather breaks the animals will start to move around a bit more.

The Hermit
08-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh yeah not worried yet. Ha ha. I was just glad to be out there, seeing the sites and smelling the smells.

MichaelB
08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm guessing a "strong GT" means, "grab and tug" . If that's true than indeed it WAS an interesting day. You don't have to wait until hunting season for that however.:mrgreen:

The Hermit
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
You guys a KILLING me! HAHAHAHA Gin & Tonic

Bow Walker
08-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I hope you connect with your "primitive" bow Bill. I'm still practicing with mine in the hopes of taking it out for a serious walk.

rollingrock
08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I'll do more bow hunting with my recurve this season for sure. There's a lot I can explore in my backyard with my recurve and Fraser Valley Special Hunting Licence. :D

Slugman
08-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Was in my tree from 430am till 430pm. Last 20yards to stand was less than gracefull - louder than drunk bear! Still managed to call in a buck around 130, came charging in, twigs a snapping then held up just out of sight! Had good cover sitting in a co-dom cedar, set back from trail, full scent lok, I just don't get it!!
Did get a little sweaty the hike in but had the scent killer going too! Came in so quick and was so close I came to full draw excpecting him to just walk by the trunk of the tree I was in, right along the deer trail!

This morning same scenario played out... I think if they don't see the source of the sound first they hold up? Thoughts on decoys? Suggestions?

Jehiah
08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
came charging in, twigs a snapping then held up just out of sight! Had good cover sitting in a co-dom cedar, set back from trail, full scent lok, I just don't get it!!

This is what makes archery so exciting in my opinion. And why riflemen hunt the clearcuts.

Slugman
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Exciting for sure, just itching to let one loose!! On a side note I was so sore from lounging in the tree so long and low on water so when I went to draw the ol bicep just about went on strike with a cramp!

robertmcallan
08-26-2010, 06:35 PM
went to go sight in my rifle to get ready for opening rifle season in renfrew and on my way a two point walks across the road all i could do is smile and laugh cause my buddy that bow hunts wanted to sleep in to many cocktails last night sucker

The Hermit
08-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Was in my tree from 430am till 430pm. Last 20yards to stand was less than gracefull - louder than drunk bear! Still managed to call in a buck around 130, came charging in, twigs a snapping then held up just out of sight! Had good cover sitting in a co-dom cedar, set back from trail, full scent lok, I just don't get it!!
Did get a little sweaty the hike in but had the scent killer going too! Came in so quick and was so close I came to full draw excpecting him to just walk by the trunk of the tree I was in, right along the deer trail!

This morning same scenario played out... I think if they don't see the source of the sound first they hold up? Thoughts on decoys? Suggestions?

Try a Montana decoy!

Bow Walker
09-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Is your stand in the optimum place? Can you move it to where they are stopping for a look-see?

Slugman
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Yup, after talking to a fellow on here who was kind enough to give me some pointers sounds like a decoy is on the wish list.Wiley bucks always check out the scene before entering if they cant source the sound or visually confirm there is another deer there they are gone! Actually suprized they are coming into doe calls so early but hey there ya go! That wasn't the first one I ve called in. Those Montanas decoys look sweet, Tinks puts out an inflatable doe with a photo realistic skin that retails for about $20 less but I think I would go with the Montana's.

Hey Bowalker I actually hunt with a Trophy Line Ambush Tree Saddle and just talk my climbing spurs with me! Ex tree guy of 6 years so I have the climbing gear, comes in handy! Pretty much my stand is always with me and any tree is accessiable within a matter of minutes just as long as the sight lines are good.

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Tree climbing gear makes a perfectly portable stand. Nothing, really to pack along the spurs and a belt. Oh yeah, and a pair of pruning shears.

Maybe some sort of a scent lure hung from a tree branch about 5 feet off the ground? Might make those wary guys come in to take a whiff of the supposedly horny Doe...

Slugman
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Is ther such a thing as putting out 'horny perfume' too soon, or does sex always sell?!!

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Ya know - I think that they're kinda like people and pigeons. Horny all the time. They just need to find a receptive female and they only come into estrus at certain times of the year. The rest of the year they've all got "headaches"!

If you had a chance to ..... would you pass it up 'cause it wasn't "rutting season"?

I thought not.

A buck will come in and investigate the scent of another buck (territorial instinct) that's why they market buck "P" as well as Doe Urine.

Slugman
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Well I figure he was on to me, cause I tried to encourage him closer with some softer bleats at he time. He was probably thinking 'whats that dumb doe doin up in a tree?'

So heres the question how long do you wait before you try a tactic like that again with the doe pee?

Was in there today for about an hour clearing the site lines to another tree that cost me a shot on a doe(couldn't take it) and on the way out havin' a peek at some other deer trails. Down one a find a huuuuge bear pile super fresh so I wisely move on. Then as I am heading out the main three huge turkey vultures take off from the scrub at the side of the trail, further past that I notice a dried blood trail on the rocks.

That all adds up - someone connected with a deer, birds were finishing of what was left of a gut pile! Guess I was alittle choked to see that but thats the way it goes sometimes!

Carry on and hunt the area tomorrow or give it sometime? It is in a fairly high traffic area, used by hikers, guys on quads etc. Your thoughts?

Bow Walker
09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Seems that there's deer in there. Hopefully the dead one isn't your buck that was shy. I think that I'd go in there this weekend (or as soon as you can) and hang up a scent bomb, then get ready and wait. See if he comes all the way in when you call.

Obviously the deer are somewhat used to activity in the area and there isn't any real reason not to try for him as soon as possible. Good luck.