PDA

View Full Version : Bear gutting/skinning tips.

cowboy-up69
04-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok guys, I got my bear tag today, so Im off to go get me a bear. My first bear so Im not exactly sure what to do. Ok, so I have a big bear on the ground, start gutting it, where do I start? Do I pretty much do the same as I would to a deer? Just cut the belly, try not to cut open the stomach and just cut a nice slit in there, and then hank the guts out? And then, after I got all the guts and yummy stuff out, Im gunna skin it right there, because I want to quarter it and wrap it in cheese cloth. So I cut around the neck/head area and start my way down? And then should I leave the paws and shit attached? Skin the legs and then eventually down to the hind legs and then down to the tail? So now, the skin is totally off, what next? Im gunna quarter it up, and wrap each quarter in cheese cloth and put it in my moms car ;) So pretty much cut it half way in the stomach area, and then down the middle? Ok, so now Im done all that stuff, and gunna take it home, Should I hang it? And for how long? Then Im gunna cut it up myself, and make it all into hamburger so I can eventually maybe make sausage and pepperoni outta it. So whats your ideas guys? Is that alll right what I said or what? give me some of all of yaz tips, I dont want to f*#@! up! Being my first bear and all. After some tips, Im gunna ask what to do with the skull!
Thanks guys! Any feedback would be great! Im sorry for askin so much, being a newbie at bear hunting and all :wink: :cool: :tongue:
Cliff

cowboy-up69
04-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Also forgot, what do I want to look for in a big bear? Someone said somthing about their ears?? Big head and so on?

Ian F.
04-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Very much like a deer but more fat, you want to be as careful if not more so with the bladder, you don't want to pierce that!

If you have the choice at all, gut it in the woods and bring it home to skin it. One thing I like to do on big game is to wash out the cavity with water to get all the blood out.

If you have to field skin take a tarp with you, roll it onto the tarp and work the skin off leaving the fat on the skin if you plan to make a rug, remember a cut in the rug is worst then a nick in some meat.

For 1/4'ing there are a few ways and the one I've used for deer is to cut off the legs following the joint lines (4 pieces) then you split the head off the spine at the base of the skull leaving it with the hide. Cut the paws off at the wrists (oh if no one has told you yet a skinned bear looks like a skinned person, so look at your wrists and you want to cut just below your hands) making the whole hide piece #5. Now you can choose how to splite the remaining spine, most likely 3 pieces, BUT! if you are handy with a knife you can cut out the back straps, the loins and the other meat, and leave the main spine etc in the bush! This makes piece (usally bag) #6

Now keep in mind the weather and look into your processor AHEAD of time and figure out what you want to do with your rug and get instructions on doing so! You may need to scrape and salt it so be prepared to do that (about 1/2 days work minimum).

a whole bear for burger and peperoni is a lot of burger and peperoni, try some steaks (fat free) as they are tastey! Also, consider getting something hammed (country ham) it is like candy!

2 last pieces of advice,

1. From my grandmother, a dead bear is like moving a bag of jelly! TRUE!
2. It is easier to keep meat and hide clean then to clean dirt off after it gets on!

Very best, and best of luck..

Ian

3kills
04-26-2006, 05:48 AM
if u are going to rug it..dont skin the head out ur self leave that and the paws for the taxidermist...and take it home and freeze it...roll it up put in a couple bags and through it in the freezer....as for ur meat if u want to just make pepperoni and stuff once u bone it all out just freeze it al till u can take it to a butcher...

3kills
04-26-2006, 05:50 AM
and in a big bear look for a small ears far apart...belly big and low to the ground...if it has mickey mouse ears on the top of his head he is small....watch how he walks a big bear is going to waddle more...and make sure u look around for cubs...and more importantly have fun and good luck...

04-26-2006, 07:34 AM
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm here is a site that may help. Another good piece of advice.....make your first shot count! It's usually the best one you're going to get, and bears seem to able to soak up alot of lead and keep going. Also one other thing l have noticed bear hunting, if they make you, and start moving away, they usually don't stop, so it's your call whether a good shot presents itself. l have waited a few times only to watch the south end of a north bound bear disappear into the timber. That has been my own personal experience. Field judging size... http://www.huntingclub.com/document.asp?dID=4699&cID=153 Good luck!

Steeleco
04-26-2006, 07:53 AM
I agree with 416, if the bear knows your there they seem harder to kill. The bears we've taken that we're unaware of our presence, died bang flop!!!

Fred
04-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I agree with 416, if the bear knows your there they seem harder to kill. The bears we've taken that we're unaware of our presence, died bang flop!!!
That is probably "the adrenalin factor". As soon as they sense a threat, it starts. Fred

cowboy-up69
04-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks so far for the tips and advice. Im gunna get it rugged out eventually, but not with the head on it, so what should I do there? Like cut the skin right behind the head? And it wont be for a long time till I rug it out, so I heard that if u put salt on the hide, and then roll it up, and put it in the freezer it will last a long time? That true?
But what u guys said so far sounds like what u would do with a deer or other big game animal. Shouldnt be to hard, take a bit of time cause Im new, but no big deal.
Thanks guys!

K-1
04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
A call or visit to a taxidermist might be a good idea. Then you can see what it looks like skined out , also talk to them about different shapes of rugs.

3kills
04-26-2006, 02:34 PM
why are u not gettin the rug with the head on???

sidney-hunter
04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
i just remembered, ive still got last years big bear hide in the freezer!! if you salt the hell out of it and freeze it, itll be fine. mines done that way and the hair isnt slipping or anything. the advice to leave the head and paws for the taxidermist is a good idea... its easy to make a mess if youve never done it before. the crappy part about prepping the hide before salting it is scraping all the gooey fat off... tedious work to get it down to just the right level.

GoatGuy
04-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't know how this whole thing goes I was always told salt or freeze not both. I remember there being a big debate about it and can't remember the outcome. I was told if it's going into the freezer for a long time to soak it in water cause it won't dry out or get freezer burnt. I don't know if it's truth - just what I've been told. On a side note I've yet to have a hide that's slipped and I've skinned a few critters.

Living in Princeton you should be able to find a couple of individuals who will be able to show you how to cape it out properly. If you're a member of the F&G club put the word out and someone will help you. That's the best advice I can give you - easier to learn hands on with someone experienced backing you up. After that you'll be able to skin just about anything! Valuable skill if you want to guide, get a couple critters mounted or have your hunting buddies buy you beer. Black bears are the best place to start. Their ears, nose and paws are extremely easy to do compared to just about all other critters - their hair is long and will cover up stitches.

bearheart
04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
A good guide on how to skin etc at Alaska outdoor supersite...http://www.outdoordirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm:wink:

3kills
04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
i never salted my hide last year and it was fine but mind u it was only in there for like 6 months or so....

Shop Lord
04-26-2006, 08:18 PM
I've also heard that you're not suppossed to salt and freeze the hide, either one or the other. When skinning it out its easier to start at the back end and take the head off last. Its really steep were I live and I usually end up skinning then deboneing the bear. This way you don't carry any bone (especially uphill) and you don't have to deal with the guts.

Canuck2
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Whoa! There can be big problems with salting AND freezing.

The more salt you add to something, the harder it is to freeze; that is, it takes a lower temperature. 1) If your freezer isn't set really cold, you may not get proper freezing with salt added. 2) Even if your freezer can get your stuff really cold, it will take longer than freezing without salt at a lower temp.

Being as the weather is now warming up, you want to get that bear skinned and freeze the hide asap. As was mentioned above, if you get it really wet before sealing in a waterproof bag or other container, it will keep substantially longer frozen than without making it wet.

000buck
04-26-2006, 10:43 PM
try cleaning the cavity with vinager and water if your going to hang it whole cleans it up real nice. I would advise a very good bone saw for bear because the lung and heart are extreamly hard to get at. Be sure you drop this critter with plenty of daylight left if want to stick to your plan, first bear i gutted and skinned took about 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Most importantly consult a taxidermist before cut the hide. if you don't want the head or claws he may (credit on the rug??) also keep in mind that first nations also appreciate donations of any sort of hide (up to you).

3kills
04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
if ur not keeping the head and paws i would suggest just gettin it tanned as its a lot cheaper i think its like 200 bucks to tan...but i still say just get the full rug done :D

Elkhound
04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
if ur not keeping the head and paws i would suggest just gettin it tanned as its a lot cheaper i think its like 200 bucks to tan...but i still say just get the full rug done :D

Yup, I agree with 3kills

3kills
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
speakin of bear rugs i should have mine back this month hopefully...i cant wait:D

Stone Sheep Steve
04-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree with G/G and Canuck II. Don't salt and freeze it.
If you are just going to freeze it, roll up the hide with the paws and face in the middle to prevent those areas from getting freezer burnt.

When skinning take your time and do it right the first time. Scraping fat and meat off later is a big pain in the ass and VERY time consuming (unless you have a fleshing machine available)!!!
Don't salt it until it is properly fleshed as you can get fat burns which will cause the hide to thicken and make it difficult for your taxidermist to stretch it back to it's original size. It also can lead to hair slipping.

Bear meat and hides can spoil particularily quick in warm weather due to the fat. Cool both as quickly as possible.

SSS