PDA

View Full Version : Good start to the year!!!

Brambles
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Picked up the hunting licence and a bear tag and decided to head out today and look around. Mainly looking for turkeys but if a hog black/brown stepped out then I would first try for him with my bow but had a rifle just incase he busted me. Checked out a few spots that I have seen turkeys before but nothing was talking tried a half dozen setups but no luck. I headed up a spot I had been to before but never was able to make it up very far because of the snow( I mainly hunt there in November), today was good for snow, some on the shady corners and it did keep me out of a few good spots but thats life.

Anyways I was cruizing in the truck looking for a good place to set up and I pull into a cutblock and spot two turkeys in the cutblock, I noticed that they seen me so I just kept driving and I could see that they relaxed a bit. I was 99% sure that one had a beard, small however but a beard none the less. I grab the Ruger 10/22 and my turkey call and head back. I get to about 30 yards and they had there backs to me so I couldn't tell which one had the beard. I look at them for a while and they move around a bit but not enought to see the beard. I decide to hit the turkey call and see if there is anyone else in there that I haven't seen yet. Well there weren't any other turkeys around, none that called back that is. The two that I was watching started to get really nervous and I could tell that I didn't have much time to identify which one was legal and shoot it.

Finally when they turned to run I seen the one taking up the rear was the one with the beard. I take a rest on a tree, they are at about 50 yards now, and they are doing their best to impersonate the RoadRunner. Necks stretched out and legs getting revved up. I put the crosshairs on the base of his neck and squeeze the trigger. Awesome, got a turkey on the run.:grin:

So Its laying there now doing the funky chicken but not going anywhere, I run up and put one in the neck to end it quick.

Not a big bird, the beard is 4 inches and the spurs are just little bumps. Definitly smaller than the one I took a few years ago with a 8.5 inch beard and 1" spurs. He'll be dinner tomorrow night, uuuuuhhhhmmmmm good.

Pictures to follow in a minute or two

mark
04-25-2006, 08:38 PM
sweet man, i think your the second HBC member to report a turkey down. Mine had a 8.5 inch beard, he was so tasty i wish i coud go for another!

Brambles
04-25-2006, 08:45 PM
First time I used the timer on my digital camera, didn't turn out THAT bad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0722.jpg

Here's the turkey with my lovely little Ruger 10/22 Pimped out of course with a green mountain barrel and laminate stock plus some action mods. Turkey didn't stand a chance:wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0719.jpg

Here's his little beard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0728.jpg

mark
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
nice tender little jake! yummy!

calvin L
04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
That it nice to see that there is is some over there getting some action on the birds . I have talked to a couple of friends and they have said it has been a tough year to get a bird . Is angryBob coming over for turkey dinner ? congrats on the Bird .

Brambles
04-25-2006, 08:58 PM
That it nice to see that there is is some over there getting some action on the birds . I have talked to a couple of friends and they have said it has been a tough year to get a bird . Is angryBob coming over for turkey dinner ? congrats on the Bird .

I don't know if there is enough bird for 4 people:oops:

I was talking to Jay M @ secret creek yesterday, I was over shooting his archery course and he said he knew a few guys from here, and you were one of them. Its amazing how small the hunting community really is.

mrdoog
04-25-2006, 09:00 PM
BC Hunters seem to take a different approach to turkey hunting.
Well done!

calvin L
04-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I have only known Jay for 12 years . That can be good or bad LOL . I am coming over for the madtrapper shoot in june will you be there ? Don't worry about birds for 4 just bird for me ! It doesn't look like I am going to get over there for a bird hunt Dam . I will be hunting grizz with dean D . If he doesn't get one before the may long week end . Good luck on the bear hunting .I hope you get one with a bow & one with a rifle .
calvin L

gary mok
04-25-2006, 09:29 PM
well done,nice job!!!

Kirby
04-25-2006, 09:32 PM
LOL, I know Jay a little bit, spent alot of time shooting the breeze last year when I was down in Rossland working. Might have to make it out to the madtrapper shoot this year, will see.

Kirby

Fred
04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
BC Hunters seem to take a different approach to turkey hunting.
Well done!

Yeah, we don't muck about, we just giterdone! :grin: Fred
Almost forgot, nice going Brambles!

cowboy-up69
04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Nice turkey bud. Hope to get me one soon!

Brambles
04-26-2006, 06:33 AM
LOL, I know Jay a little bit, spent alot of time shooting the breeze last year when I was down in Rossland working. Might have to make it out to the madtrapper shoot this year, will see.

Kirby

Unfortunatly I can't make the MadTrapper shoot this year, I have a wedding to go to. Normally I would just skip the wedding, but this year its mine so I sort of have to be their:roll:

Fred
04-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Sometimes women can so unreasonable,eh Brambles! :roll: :-D Fred

Brambles
04-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Your not kidding:grin:

CanAm500
04-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Nice turkeys!!!

I hope one day Ill be able to go over to the mainland/interrior and hunt turkey.

P.s. you have the same 22 scope as I do!!