PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow for hunting grizzly bears

warnniklz
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I was looking at the Barnett predator that shoots 375fps but only has a draw wheight of 175 lbs. I was also looking at the excalibur equinox that shoots 350fps but has a draw weight of 225lbs. I think this has to do with the barnett being cam operated and the excalibur being recurve. But anyone else have any other suggestions. We're talking big yogi's here so I want some knockdown power.

Bow Walker
08-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Consider, also, the ease with which you might be able to get a second shot off.

A Recurve-style crossbow has very little that can go wrong with it. It's easy to carry a second string - just in case.

Just some thoughts to consider.

hardnocks
08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Consider, also, the ease with which you might be able to get a second shot off.

A Recurve-style crossbow has very little that can go wrong with it. It's easy to carry a second string - just in case.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Sometimes your answers bowwalker leave me shaking my head. But this one is a classic ..LOL ..Its easy to pack a string ...but have you ever tried to put a string on a 225 lb crossbow without a press .

If you need a second shot at a grizz with a crossbow you are in deep trouble .

The difference in those two bows is the excaliber is much better made . but will cost twice as much. not saying the barnett is not well made .

Of the two if i was stocking a grizz i would choose the barnett simply cause the limbs are much narrower .

hoyt
08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Taking hunting to the next level! I took a grizz 2 years back with my Hoyt, great shot, nailed the engine room, and WOW was he mad. That bear destroyed anything and everything near and around him. The only thing I believe that kept us alive was the fact we were up a rock ledge above a choke point on the trail.
Use strong arrows and broads with weight, man you will need it!
I too believe a narrow crossbow would serve you better, but from living the experience, there will be no second shot, trust me!
Think your escape route wisely, and don't move until, or if you must, even when the shit hits the fan....and it will, enjoy!!

aggiehunter
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
If your looking for "knockdown power" then take your .458...

todbartell
08-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Sometimes your answers bowwalker leave me shaking my head. But this one is a classic ..LOL ..Its easy to pack a string ...but have you ever tried to put a string on a 225 lb crossbow without a press .

not hard to restring an Xcalibur with the stringing aid which comes supplied. Light and compact, you could easily pack it along on a hunt.

phoenix
08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I've owned both and I think it would be an Excalibur if I was to do it again. Don't get me wrong, I like my Barnett Predator, but the narrower width does not make up for the ease of servicing and way better trigger on the Excalibur. Also bows do not kill by "knock-down power", they kill with cutting wounds and the Excalibur Phoenix I owned put bolts clean through the 3 deer I took with it including the one at 45yds so there is really no need for more speed or power other than for a flatter trajectory. Once the bolt passes through the game more power means nothing other than it is harder to find your bolt! If you have the scope sighted in properly the trajectory doesn't mean much as long as you know your shooting distances. The Barnett is freakishly fast and has such a flat trajectory that I only use the first and second crosshairs to shoot out to 50 yds but that is it's limit also as it has such a poor trigger and is nowhere near the Excalibur in overall accuracy. I wish Barnett would quit the speed game and try to fix the problems (poor triggers, few service centres or knowledgable dealers) with the bows they already make. Just my $.02
Kim

The Hermit
08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Maximus Bone Splitter 225 either and they are way less expensive.

Mountaintop
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM
I did a lot of research before I bought my Excalibur Exocet 200. I have found the bow strong, beautifully made and extremely accurate. Excalibur is a Canadian company and their customer service is second to none. As said before, the recurve is not hard to string with the stringing aid. I am not a tinkerer so for me simple was better. I have heard that the big boys in the Excalibur line are pretty hard on string servings so string life might be less than with their lesser weight bows. However, Excalibur claims that any of their hunting bows have enough power to take down any North American game animal.

Regarding a second shot, just for fun I recently tried to see how fast I could shoot from a bench rest, reload and fire a second shot accurately from the rest. You should remember, to reload you need to stand up, put your foot in the stirrup, attach your cocking aid, cock the bow, put the arrow in place, aim and fire. With practice this will be about a 30-45 second process. Maybe a second shot, if necessary, should be from a hunting partners rifle.:)

Bow Walker
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM

If you need a second shot at a grizz with a crossbow you are in deep trouble .

The difference in those two bows is the excaliber is much better made . but will cost twice as much. not saying the barnett is not well made .

Of the two if i was stocking a grizz i would choose the barnett simply cause the limbs are much narrower .

I probably should've said re-cocking the crossbow. It's way easier with a recurve style than with a compound style. The limbs on a recurve are slimmer and longer, making them easier to bend. Admittedly, a second shot (using a crossbow) usually isn't in the cards - even when hunting deer.

If a guy was to hunt grizzly with a crossbow, or any kind of bow, I'd hope that he had the smarts to be with a backup partner who has a big-ass gun, and knows how to use it in an emergency. Either that or he has enough time to bend over and kiss his ass goodbye.

Plus...if an accident happens with a sharp broadhead and the bow string, it is relatively simple to install a string on a recurve crossbow, even without a stringing aid. Given a bit of ingenuity a guy could do it and thereby save his hunt. Common sense.

Oh, BTW - I'm glad that I give you some entertainment now and then.

not hard to restring an Xcalibur with the stringing aid which comes supplied. Light and compact, you could easily pack it along on a hunt.

Thanks Mark. That piece of equipment is something that a well prepared crossbow-er would be sure to pack along on a hunt. Even a day-hunt.