PDA

View Full Version : When to rattle Whities.....?

kishman
08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi all, a quick question for the Whitetail hunters here on the site. Is rattling for Whities in Sept. a waste of time? Or is it something that might bring in a curious Buck or Doe?

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
My only luck is in the rut, but you never know, they to rub this time of year

d6dan
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Never rattled in Sept.. Only during Rut (Nov)..Some will come in quite and some will come looking for a scrap..

ruger#1
08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Blacktails and whitetail in mid November for rattling.

luckynuts
08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Hhmmm. Have rattled a fair number of blackies in October.

I would say late Sept you might get a buck to resond if you can find his rub lines and scrapes. End of sept and Oct is when they sort out the pecking order. Don't now much about those sneaky whities and will be my first season hunting them in Sept though will be fun trying to get the boy on one this year. Try it out let us know.

W.

Blacktails and whitetail in mid November for rattling.

Walking Buffalo
08-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Rattling can bring in a buck anytime after they lose their velvet. From Sept. on bucks will sparr with each other.

I have rattled in bucks from mid Sept. through April. You can call them in too with a grunt call. But remember, before the rut is just play time, keep the rattling gentle, not like an all out fight.

Rodd
08-26-2010, 08:21 AM
I had similar luck as Walking buffalo, anytime after they lost there velvet they tend to be still in bachelor groups, and spar to prepare for the real battles to come. It works, just keep it soft until the end of Oct.

dukester
08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
2nd week of Oct to 1st week of Nov. after that the bucks have there Does and they would rather make love then get bruised up any more.

Roughneck Country
08-31-2010, 08:14 AM
I have hunted them extensivly in SK and AB and I have found that the rut is when everything will come to a rattle and calls, but early on in the season just the currious small bucks will come in. Usually several does as well will come to investigate but the big boys hang back.

palmer
08-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe but when your chances go way up is in the RUT. Whitetails here are just starting to rub the velvet. Elk tho are ready to go....