PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for strapping rifle to backpack?

behemoth
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I have a good 80 litre backpack that I will be using for my upcoming goat hunt. The pack has a strap that holds an icepick or similar item high on the side of the pack. However, it doesnt have anything to hold the butt of the gun at the bottom of the pack.

How do you strap your rifle to your backpack? Do you put it inside with the other cargo? Do you strap it to the outside? Do you carry it on your shoulder?

Does anyone know of any products or have any ideas on how I can strap mine on for easy access?

Brew
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Go buy a neoprene beer cozy and slice two slits into the upper part of it so that you can run your kidney straps through it and position it as far back as possible. stretch it over the butt of your rifle and I am sure you can probably find a strap on the upper part of your back to secure the rifle from falling out. I have not done this but it was the first thing that popped into my mind while drinking my beer which is wrapped in the neoprene cozy. it just might work.

Tenacious Billy
08-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Or you could order a kifaru gunbearer......

TESKELLY
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Or try one of these http://gunslingercorral.com/

TESKELLY
08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Go buy a neoprene beer cozy and slice two slits into the upper part of it so that you can run your kidney straps through it and position it as far back as possible. stretch it over the butt of your rifle and I am sure you can probably find a strap on the upper part of your back to secure the rifle from falling out. I have not done this but it was the first thing that popped into my mind while drinking my beer which is wrapped in the neoprene cozy. it just might work.

LOL I wanna see pictures.

behemoth
08-25-2010, 06:27 PM

lol thats awesome:mrgreen:

not awesome enough to try, but awesome....:-D

behemoth
08-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Or you could order a kifaru gunbearer......

Thats exactly what I need. Thanks

Is there any Kifaru dealers in BC? Or is this a mail order company only?

Buck
08-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Mail order and they take about 2 weeks to get .They have a youtube video to show you hjow to set it up and which model you may need.

Hunt'n Guide
08-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Along the same line as the beer coozy idea. I've put a water bottle holder on the waist belt of a pack frame. The butt of the stock fits into it and an ice axe keeper up high hold the forestock. Cheap solution that works well for me.

Laurence_Erickson
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
eberle stock is the way

Coming_out_heavy.
08-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Had a face to face with a grizzly at 35 yards. I now carry my rifle in my hand, the entire trip. If my gun was on my pack there wouldnt have been time to shoot it before it got away, or charged.

Luckily we were griz hunting and had a tag =).

Hunt'n Guide
08-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Had a face to face with a grizzly at 35 yards. I now carry my rifle in my hand, the entire trip. If my gun was on my pack there wouldnt have been time to shoot it before it got away, or charged.

Luckily we were griz hunting and had a tag =).

Good point. My rifle is only in the "holder" when I need both hands for climbing. Otherwise I'm carrying it in my hands.

Bighorn hunter
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
The kifaru system is quite good. Hands are free and it only takes a second to free your gun.

Maxx
08-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I also use the Kifaru system, and find it to be functional, and comfortable.

behemoth
08-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Along the same line as the beer coozy idea. I've put a water bottle holder on the waist belt of a pack frame. The butt of the stock fits into it and an ice axe keeper up high hold the forestock. Cheap solution that works well for me.
Like a water bottle holder from a bike?

Buck
08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I have the Kifaru setup this year i think its very good..I also have a rifle holder in the pack so when going steep i will put it in there.

Hunt'n Guide
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
No, not like bottle cages from a bike. The one I use is a fabric one that was made to attach to a belt. Pretty much like this one from the dreaded MEC. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 9289&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885210

At $8 it's a little cheaper than some of the other options.

swampthing
08-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I use the eberlestock know with its excellent rifle carry system. My last pack was a Dwight Shuh. It had compression straps that worked. The lower strap fit through the trigger gaurd and the top strap just went around the rifle. It held it perfectly. In an emergency you had to drop your pack to get to it though. If your compression strap buckle is too big, you can loop the strap under the scope.

Gunner
08-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I have both Kifaru packs(with Gunbearer),and Eberlestocks with the Gun Sheath.In griz country I would want the Gunbearer,it offers much faster access! Gunner.