PDA

View Full Version : goat hunt in 4-24 (c)

fumder
08-25-2010, 12:07 PM
so we got lucky, both my dad and i got draws for goat in 4-24 c, but i'm a bit confused as to how to get to the goat.

the regs say no motor vehichle access during the hunt beyond the first crossing of the white river.. i can't see any other way in but to cross, and after that it's still a few dozen K's to get to the mountains...

does anyone have a better map, or idea as to how to get to the hills?

Thanks

Skinny
08-25-2010, 12:10 PM
We had a base camp in around 4-22 just outside a no motorvehicle area so we used peddle bikes.

goatdancer
08-25-2010, 12:21 PM
You're going to have to hoof it. You didn't think goat hunting was going to be easy, did you?

BiG Boar
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
One of the best ways to get the goats will be using your legs. This wont be a road hunt. I have a similar tag and its going to be a long hike in. Another way would be using horses. Or possibly a pedal bike as suggested. Anyway you look at it, its not going to be a walk in the park. Good luck. Did you check the regs on the area before you put in? In the future, this is something I would suggest doing. The reason it was an easy tag to pull was because no one wants to do all that work for a goat. However, that means there may be lots, and some real big ones hiding up there. Also, as you apparently didnt read through the regs before hand, you might want to take note of the new rule about not harvesting a goat in the presence of kid goats.

deeks1989
08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry man I wish I could help.
I will be just over from you in 4-24(B)
I do not know any other coutry other then where I got my got draw.
Hope everything works out for you!:wink:

sparky300winmag
08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey bigbore just because someone didn't do his homework on an area he/she puts in for doesn't mean they need someone to be an arrogant dink to belittle them.Its guys like you that piss me off on this site.Don't presume someone hasn't read the reg , but is not familiar with the area.

budismyhorse
08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
you might be confused about the "middle fork of the white river" in the regs. Grab a Backcountry Mapbook and you'll be on your way.

You can access Fenwick to the 50km board on the FSR. Hike from there. The "middle fork of the white" you are referring to is in a different part of your area. Don't worry about it.

To access the area, you can either take Settlers Road to the Fenwick, the Kootenay River FSR out of Canal Flats, or up the Whiteswan FSR (Moscow and East White border your area).

Besides the closure on Fenwick and Elk Creek, I dont'think any of those other roads are closed.......but ask a CO.

fumder
08-26-2010, 10:49 AM
thanks for the help guys, going into town to get a new map book, my old forestry map is pretty ancient, and not too helpful.

4-24 was my second choice, 4-22 was my first as we've hunted that area before successfully. so yes i was caught off guard getting the draw i got.