PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Questions

Glassman
08-25-2010, 09:38 AM
This might be the wrong place to ask but here goes anyways.
I am going from Kelowna to north of Dawson Creek for a hunting trip. and thought maybe I would bring back home some salmon. Does anybody know where I can buy some fish in the interior of BC other than an overpriced grocery store? Is it legal to but fish from someone?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MB_Boy
08-25-2010, 10:06 AM
This might be the wrong place to ask but here goes anyways.
I am going from Kelowna to north of Dawson Creek for a hunting trip. and thought maybe I would bring back home some salmon. Does anybody know where I can buy some fish in the interior of BC other than an overpriced grocery store? Is it legal to but fish from someone?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You SHOULD be headed towards the big salty wet thing to the West of you for fresh salmon!! :wink:

I don't know how many fish make it that far inland being a "coaster". Just be sure if you do buy fish outside of a grocery store....that is in fact legit and don't support what you may not deem to be a ceremonial fish stand on the side of the road. :wink:

ve7iuq
08-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I hope you are not asking someone to tell you where you could buy illegal salmon!
I do not approve of people illegally selling salmon, thus I, for one, will not give you any hints.

winchester284
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I hope you are not asking someone to tell you where you could buy illegal salmon!
I do not approve of people illegally selling salmon, thus I, for one, will not give you any hints.

Plus there could be health risks associated with buying from a non-licensed retailer or commercial fisherman....

bighornbob
08-25-2010, 03:14 PM
The Kamloops Indian Band has a commercial license for kamloops lake and they can catch up to 500 fish a year (thats what is was last year). Fish are caught in nets during the night and taken to a processing plant near Lytton then brought back to Kamloops for sale the next morning. I have never seen them for sale on the side of the road or anything like that but I get an email every year about it and last year they had a article in the newspaper with a contact number. A lot of the restaurants around here buy them as they are local and fresh.

BHB

jml11
08-25-2010, 03:37 PM
There isn't too much of a sport fishery for salmon in the interior and many have been closed or drastically reduced in recent years so finding 'local' salmon for sale will be hard to come by even for the recreationalist wanting ot cast a line. Not too mention most of them will be boots at this time of year...some of the sockeye might be ok. And yes it is illegal to sell salmon unless otherwised licensed to do so. There are roadside seafood retailers that frequent this area but the fish is from the ocean and commercially caught. Probably expensive as well.

Glassman
08-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I thought that if "save-on", "safeway" etc......... sold fish somebody else can also. I was at the Steveston docks in Richmond a week or so ago and they sold fish right off the boat. Hutterites sell chickens, farmer Bob sells corn, orchardist Anny sells cherries so why can't fisherman Fred sell his catch. I wasn't thinking of buying fish from the back trunk of a beat-up pontiac. I just thought that some dude bought a ton of fish from a commercial fisherman and is selling them somewhere. Mr Jimmy Pattison didn't catch all the fish his store sells, so he had to buy the fish from somebody.
Hey ve7iuq, what makes a salmon illegal? I'm not buying pot, just a dam fish, so you can go stuff it, I don't want to hear from you anymore. Jerk. ( I say that in the nicest way of course. Not.)

Bobfl
08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Buy no, catch yourself maybe. If you look in the fisheries regs, the sockey fishery in the nechako may open due to the numbers. If so, fish across from the island by the old pas lumber mill.

Blair
08-26-2010, 10:12 PM
they were selling whole, head off nice sockeyes at Super Store last weekend for $3.99/lb!!!

spreerider
08-28-2010, 12:23 PM
to be legal you have to process any meats or fish at an approved processing facility that is certified yearly, this is the same for chickens, beef, and salmon.

many people get a way with it for years because the govt inspectors really only look at legit businesses that sell products and let the farmers market style crowd slide for the most part as they dont pay taxes or have business licences so they are hard to track.

i have heard of a few egg vendors being fined when they sell eggs off of their own property but it seems to be very rare.