PDA

View Full Version : Quest Bows?

Sideofabarn
08-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm looking into getting myself a new bow, and in a store in town the other day I came across the Quest line, promoted through G5 Outdoors. As you know, the company has been making good quality broadheads and sights for a number of years now, so logic would follow that to attach their name to a line of bows, it too would be of good quality. Question to the archery geeks is this: have any of you shot one, and what did you think of it? The store has them "on sale" right now, and visiting the Quest website and the sites of US dealers shows the price compares favourably to US funds. I was sold a "frankenbow" a few years ago, and I'm a little shy about forking out good money again. I have not asked to test the bow yet, and I'm not sure if the store has the facility to accommodate it anyway (alarm bells anyone?). I googled for reviews, but all I came up with was the usual clap trap about "great bow for the money" etc. I understand they can be a little noisy unless one adds dampeners and such.
Thanks.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-25-2010, 08:55 AM
They are good for what they are ... I put them on Par with the Bear line of bows ... a good bow for a guy that only shoots for a week or 2 or month before hunting season ... fills their tags ..and it sits .... it will be ok ... as a hunting bow ...
For a guy that shoots regularly I would keep looking

Bow Walker
08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
...in other words - you'd more than likely be disappointed with the bow after a season or two and would be looking to "upgrade". You might be better off looking a bit longer/harder/deeper and coming up with a purchase that will last you for five or ten years.

But before you turn your back on the bow - go in and see if you can shoot the thing. Or, failing that, see if you can take it to the range (with one of the store's people) and shoot it before laying your hard earned $$$ down.

Sideofabarn
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to also take a look at shelling out a bunch more dollars for a bow such as a Hoyt. Not sure which one yet, but I'm looking to max out the poundage at around 70. I know there is at least one place in town that sells them, and hopefully should I need parts, it will be easier through a registered dealer... I don't want to buy online until I've had an opportunity to shoot a few different bows.

Slugman
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey I have to say I really like the Quest line up, shoot an XPB myself and it is a great bow - very smooth, quite, very little vibe and its a tack driver when I do my job! They have developed quite a following State side where they are more readily avaliable and I can understand why. Very high value for the money. Turns out Cabela's Canada is carrying a few of there bows - you should definatley not overlook these!
As always tho the very best thing you can do is get your hands on as many bows as you can and shoot them all - that will help you narrow it down for you. Spending extra dough doesn't always get you a better bow!

hardnocks
08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I think they are just a...ROSS ...witch had a real good following stateside. But after getting stuck with a newberry i would be carefull of these small bow companys.

Slugman
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
G5 was actually under contract to make bows for Ross, but somehow the business relationship went south and G5 had the rights to manufacuture the Ross designs. Thats how they got into bow building. Ross was in real financial trouble after that and have since been bought out by Bowtech, so the new Ross line is made by them.

G5 has definatley refined and improved the designs with only the single cam models bearling any old Ross resemblance.