PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 moose

.300WSMImpact!
08-24-2010, 09:10 PM
so over the last three or four year I have noticed a lot of moose in region 8, why do you guys on this wonderful site think this is? Is it because they give out so little tags? or is there other reasons?

r106
08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm under the impression they have been moving further south slowly for the past 100 years

.300WSMImpact!
08-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Is that like that the great west whitetail migration as well,

sparkymacker
08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Given the few LEH tags given out for all of Region 8; I would say they consider it a safe haven.

Gunner
08-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Given the few LEH tags given out for all of Region 8; I would say they consider it a safe haven.Yep,and the changes to the Spike/Fork season ain't gonna help. Gunner

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep,and the changes to the Spike/Fork season ain't gonna help. Gunner

Ahh, but the "expert opinion" from region 8 GOABC about a "declining" bull:cow ratio was all that was needed to cut resident opportunity by 35%. And, adding S/F to allocation is another "expert opinion" from GOABC that Victoria lapped up.

bad arrow
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
A few more big fires would increase the moose pops considerably, the logging has helped the moose and deer, when they open up wolves then shoot one or three.

peashooter
08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
No moose in reg 8 keep moving. Lol.

bad arrow
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
No moose in reg 8 keep moving. Lol.

Thats right.

Peters Wildlife
08-25-2010, 07:41 AM
My opinion is when young animals get pushed out of an area that holds larger numbers, come the rut, young bulls will travel the distance to find a cow in heat. There for, occupying new territories.
I'm no expert, this is only my thoughts.

Steeleco
08-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Ahh, but the "expert opinion" from region 8 GOABC about a "declining" bull:cow ratio was all that was needed to cut resident opportunity by 35%. And, adding S/F to allocation is another "expert opinion" from GOABC that Victoria lapped up.

Well this NON expert!! was in the field for seven whole days in the month of May looking for bruins. We never have trouble finding them in there, till this year :-| But this year, me and the kids spotted 25 moose, of which 18 were bulls and at least 7 look like they may actually be legal come spike fork season. My only worry now is the weather forecast, with the later season and the prediction of colder and snowier winter, I may not be able to get into where I know they seem to be??

FishandHunt
08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
I think a big reason behind the moose in reg 8 is the lack of wolves. There is not really anything besides a large black bear population that would give them trouble.

Gunner
08-25-2010, 08:34 AM
I think a big reason behind the moose in reg 8 is the lack of wolves. There is not really anything besides a large black bear population that would give them trouble.What gives you the idea that there is a lack of wolves in Region 8?There are lots,from the Princeton area,east and west of Kelowna,the Kettle,and all kinds of them in the North OK.One of the reasons for the increasing wolf population is the increase in moose.More prey=more predators.There is moose sign everywhere around here,and lots of wolf sign as well. Gunner

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Well this NON expert!! was in the field for seven whole days in the month of May looking for bruins. We never have trouble finding them in there, till this year :-| But this year, me and the kids spotted 25 moose, of which 18 were bulls and at least 7 look like they may actually be legal come spike fork season. My only worry now is the weather forecast, with the later season and the prediction of colder and snowier winter, I may not be able to get into where I know they seem to be??

where is that I am sure I can help you get there,:wink:, I have only seen three legal moose this year, and countless others

Elkhound
08-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Steeleco
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm so SHHHH I'm not even telling you :mrgreen::mrgreen:

doubled
08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
That is funny, over the last three years, we have seen less and less here to the point that we are changing our hunting areas. Not sure where you guys are seeing them all but they are few and far between in our areas.

Gunner
08-25-2010, 01:02 PM
There are a number of core areas around here where we always see moose.The last 5 years we are seeing them all over,including a couple transiting our yard.Problem is,over the last 5 years the amount of wolf sign we have seen is increasing as well,to the point that every mulie wintering area I've been on in Region 8 and eastern Region 3 is showing wolf tracks,lots of them. Gunner

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I get out 3 days a week from July on, I have yet to see any wolves, but if I tell you more you will know were I hunt,

Gunner
08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Don't expect to see wolves,but if you do or see tracks,please send that info along with date and location to Brian Harris,MOE Penticton.I haven't seen a wolf here in 10 years,plenty of sign though,as well as listening to them howl in the wintertime from my porch.They get every coyote and dog in the valley going! Gunner

FishandHunt
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Don't expect to see wolves,but if you do or see tracks,please send that info along with date and location to Brian Harris,MOE Penticton.I haven't seen a wolf here in 10 years,plenty of sign though,as well as listening to them howl in the wintertime from my porch.They get every coyote and dog in the valley going! Gunner

I hunt a lot around princeton and have seen many moose, Ive even seen a nice bull on Calcite road by placer, never wolves though. I take your word for it but would still imagine that the wolf population in Reg 8 compared to anywhere else in BC where moose are would be much less.

Gunner
08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
You'd be suprised,there were three packs within 15 miles of my home last winter,plus a pair on their own. Gunner

.300WSMImpact!
08-25-2010, 05:46 PM
wow, I would love to see some here, but with seeing them I would love to shoot them too. I go to manitoba for whitetail and they are over running the bush there so you get to see them all the time and shoot them too.

Phreddy
08-25-2010, 10:09 PM
There have been a lot of sightings of wolf in the 8-4, 8-5, 8-6 mu's this past year. Had a pack up baldy chasing a bunch of goats around last spring Just up the hill from my place.