PDA

View Full Version : wallow/lick?

brock77
08-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Found a few licks and wallows last season that i will be hunting this year.....my ? is.....when do elk tend to use these wallows....early, late afternoon, in the heat off the day.
There is a good food and water source near by that they come up from in the early hours of the morning (still dark of course) smart bugers......
Just looking for some good info.... thanxs

northof49
08-24-2010, 06:21 PM
From my experience I wouldn't focus too much on the wallows when it comes to elk. Good to check em out for fresh sign, but can be frustrating playing the waiting game in my oppinion. If there is fresh sign around and lots of good feed just cover the area and lots of calling to locate them and bring em on in. Weather is the biggest factor.

meathead
08-24-2010, 06:28 PM
go to the wallow at dark start bugling cow call and wait for response they will come. we shot one last year right in a wallow. he jumped ito our trap and it werked out.

northof49
08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
If conditions are right and they are in the area they will respond wallow or no wallow. Played the wallow/lick game many times with limited results.

todbartell
08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
we pulled this guy out of a wallow on opening day 2008. We found the wallow the year before and figured we'd go check it for activity. Cow called our way into the area and had a bull bugling back at us, he slipped around us but this guy came out of the ravine the wallow is in, breathing fire like a dragon. This all happened early in the morning

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/Elk081.jpg