PDA

View Full Version : Native roadblock at Ketchika Access

Rock Doctor
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
The Kaska Dena have locked the landing at the Ketchika River access (Skooke's Landing) near Coal River.
Kaska Dena Council have given the reason as "Over Hunting"
Negotiations are in progress with the Council.
If you have questions you can contact the Kaska Dena Council at 250 779 3181

That's all the info available at the moment

RD

hillclimber
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
your a bit late... repost:)

Riverratz
08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
RD

There was a thread on this subject 5 days ago or so;
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53958
Last word from the band up there was that the road-block at Skooks had been taken down while they negotiated with Environment Minister Penner.

Is your info since that time ? Is the block back up again ?

Angel
08-24-2010, 01:25 PM
this is getting so frustrating listening to all the blockades, why dont they just do something about this. Illegal is illegal or isnt it?

Rock Doctor
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
OK, sorry:confused:

I just got back into town and heard about it. I did do a quick search through post since my last visit but didn't see anything.....My Bad.

Lock it up if you want Mods

RD

08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Ibtl..........

Not quite as fun this way

2SHALLOW
08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
The gate is open, i contacted the ministry of enviroment and they opened it the same day it was locked.

Glassman
08-24-2010, 02:25 PM
If the natives lock whiteys out of there land, then we should be able to lock natives out of our land.

Gunner
08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
If the natives lock whiteys out of there land, then we should be able to lock natives out of our land.The problem is,it's not their land that they are locking us out of.At least it's not theirs YET. Gunner

CanuckShooter
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
If the natives lock whiteys out of there land, then we should be able to lock natives out of our land.

You whiteys don't own any land there....it is unceded territory...it is private property of the Dene...don't you understand no tresspassing signs?? It's not whiteys land until they TREAT for it....and that hasn't happened yet. :wink:

2SHALLOW
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Its an illegal gate period. Pull up to it know it down and theres not a damn thing they can do, its just a scare tactic they use but its not gonna work with me, come 31 of august im pulling up with my boat, plus four other boats that i know of, gate or not were going through. People dont let this stop you from going up there that is what they want. I will be sure to post my hunt when i get back.

Caveman
08-24-2010, 02:58 PM
You whiteys don't own any land there....it is unceded territory...it is private property of the Dene...don't you understand no tresspassing signs?? It's not whiteys land until they TREAT for it....and that hasn't happened yet. :wink:

The same could be said to defend the other side of the arguement as well. It's not Dene lands until Treatied either, because it is still being disputed. IMHO!

Gunner
08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
You whiteys don't own any land there....it is unceded territory...it is private property of the Dene...don't you understand no tresspassing signs?? It's not whiteys land until they TREAT for it....and that hasn't happened yet. :wink:You whiteys?Whats with that?And private property of the Dene....my ass! Gunner

r106
08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
If it's crown land then F**kem. It pisses me off listning about these native road blocks. If they think an area is over hunted then they should stop hunting it year round. I'm sorry but, all but 5 natives that I have met are racist. Time for Canadians to have one set of laws for everyone period.. There need to hunt for food is no greater than our need to hunt for food.
I realize that this blockade is over but how any people got arested?

I passed some indians selling sockeye today I guess there ceremony is over and don't need it anymore.

Sorry for that ............. rant over

r106
08-24-2010, 03:43 PM

If you are native, Thanks for proving my point on the racist thing

MIL720
08-24-2010, 05:11 PM
nuke em all..........greedy *******s

Fisher-Dude
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM

I've been TREATING them to free medical, free houses, free from taxes, monthly handout cheques, etc, all their lives.

2SHALLOW
08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
:wink::wink::wink::wink:

SO if you dont own it and we dont own it then why put up a gate, why not wait until they TREAT for it....and that hasnt happend yet? Your not making sense Its crown land period. I know the process of Unceded territory and that there will be no end to it because there were very few agreements that where ever negotiated (except for pre-confederation Vancouver Island treaties), and this has left a legacy of unsettled land claims issues throughout the province. Until then its ours And i mean Canadians, we are all canadian. NO racisim here just facts about the law of canada. please comment if i am wrong here. Have a nice day.

Mooseter
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Too bad we didn't "TREAT" them like happened in Newfoundland instead of being humanitarian.

killman
08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Iblt!!!!!

Nasty LOL

2SHALLOW
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
WOW this thread is gonna end soon!!!

Jagermeister
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but are they not east of the Great Divide and covered under Treaty 8?
I'm under the impression that if they are under Treaty 8, they are not at liberty to enter into negotiations with the provencial government. I think that they would have to negotiate through the federal government.
Of course, I could be out in left field on this.
Here is a link that shows the area of Treaty 8, the area encompassed by the light brown border is the land under that treaty and includes the red area of northern Alberta.
http://www.treaty8.ca/upload/images/0-0-01b.jpg

youngmooser
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
I have always wondered why they have no problem allowing people in when there is a forest fire, No roadblocks then.

Jagermeister
08-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Further to the above post, here is a quote from this webpage http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/al/hts/tgu/pubs/t8/trty8-eng.asp, please take note of the words, "the territory ceded".
Quoted from http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/al/hts/tgu/pubs/t8/trty8-eng.asp,
"When we conferred, after the first meeting with the Indians at Lesser Slave Lake, we came to the conclusion that it would be best to make one treaty covering the whole of the territory ceded, and to take adhesions thereto from the Indians to be met at the other points rather than to make several separate treaties. The treaty was therefore so drawn as to provide three ways in which assistance is to be given to the Indians, in order to accord with the conditions of the country and to meet the requirements of the Indians in the different parts of the territory. "
So it would appear that Canuckshooter is out to lunch with this blurb of his, "You whiteys don't own any land there....it is unceded territory...it is private property of the Dene...don't you understand no tresspassing signs?? It's not whiteys land until they TREAT for it....and that hasn't happened yet. "

Wild_Dog
08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
With regards to ceded territory. Please refer to Haida Nation v. British Columbia (Minister of Forests), [2004] 3 S.C.R. 511, 2004 SCC 73. (Supreme Court of Canada).

The scope of this case, while dealing specifically with timber rights, is about the color of title and the duty to accommodate. The SSC found that while the Crown has duty to consult and accommodate Aboriginal peoples prior to making decisions that might adversely affect their as yet unproven Aboriginal rights and title claims that same duty does not extend to third parties.

Furthermore, "the Crown is not under a duty to reach an agreement; rather, the commitment is to a meaningful process of consultation in good faith".

The Crown has engaged their duty to accommodate. Until such time as the land claims are proven and not asserted, the position of the Supreme Court of Canada is quite clear....

NOT YOUR F****** LAND!

Granted, their language is not so colorful.

f350ps
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
It's just another case of the tail wagging the dog. I'm not sure of the demograghics but if I remember correctly First Nations make up about 3% of the population, if that's correct what's wrong with this picture?? K IBTF

NaStY
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
And with that. It seems all these threads go the same way. No where......