PDA

View Full Version : Is It Too Hot?

PointMan
08-24-2010, 07:30 AM
How many of you guys are going to let oening day (Sept 10) slip by and wait a few extra weeks before heading out into the bush for that elusive buck? I have been talking to a few "seasoned" hunters that I know and they feel it is much too hot to consider an opening day hunt, I'm still on the fence, partly of course because I love to spend time in the bush. My worry is, if I see even a reasonable buck in 25 plus heat, I wont be able to let it pass and risk meat spoilage. What's your thoughts?

ufishifish2
08-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I personally prefer to go after the big one (mule deer) late November to early December. I tend to hunt the whitetails just a bit earlier.
As far a meat bucks, there is nothing at all wrong with going for them in early September. The wife usually nabs one each year for her lasagna's.
Don't get me wrong, you can get a beauty buck early season, but generally it means a little more luck, and a lot more effort.
Unless you are a die-hard whom exclusively hunts deer, there are so many other animals to hunt early in the season. Sheep start early August and Goats in September. Add Moose to the list and you are busy until November anyways. Enjoy!!

hillclimber
08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Last year for Junior hunt when I shot my buck the thermometer in the truck read 31 or 33 celcuis. We gutted it and then we put it in the crawlspace under the cabin we were staying in and it felt cool to the touch after a few hours. This year were just going to bring a cooler full of ice for the deer or maybe stay at a place with a freezer

igojuone
08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
It all depends on how quick you can get it cooled down and in the freezer. Do it fast enough and no problem. Just getting out there is nice too and if you see the big one all the better.

ufishifish2
08-24-2010, 08:08 AM
As far as the meat spoilage you mentioned, are you going to do-bone it yourself, or take it in somewhere to be procesed? You could debone it and take it to Ritters Sausage - he's a little off but does really nice work. Helmets Sausage is IMO Okay at best, but the good thing is they always have room to accept your deboned meat.(Something about that last sentence really could be mis-construed, don't ya think!)
I think BX Sausage will take your entire deer and hang it immediately, therefore no risk of meat spoilage.
Basically, as long as you don't gut shoot it, the meat will be fine if you are hunting locally and get it in to the processing facility or atleast someones cooler that day....IMHO

bearhunter338-06
08-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I try and Make the August moose hunt in Dawson area every year. I have built a cooler for the back of my truck out of plywood and ridgid insulation. I through in 5 or 6 blocks of ice, good to go for the 14 hour drive.

3kills
08-24-2010, 08:18 AM
its already cooler now then it was last year when i shot my white tail buck last year. we had gone out just to look around and maybe pop some grouse when i spot a white tail doe. then along came the buck. i shot him gutted him real quick dragged him up to the road as fast as we could and then i had a cooler that i had taken with a block of ice in it just in case i put the ice in his chest cavity and hauled ass to town.

rocksteady
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
No such things too hot, as long as you have:

1) The ability to get it out of the bush quickly (friends/quad)

2) The ability to get the hide peeled and into cold storage very quickly. (Variety of methods, some described above)...

On the other hand, when I have hunted when it is extremely hot, I find the game movement is during the cool hours of the morning and then the game goes and hides in teh black, thick , cool timber that its almost impossible to find a critter in...

hillclimber
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
On the other hand, when I have hunted when it is extremely hot, I find the game movement is during the cool hours of the morning and then the game goes and hides in teh black, thick , cool timber that its almost impossible to find a critter in...

I have also found animals out during the mid day. They get thirsty too!

ufishifish2
08-24-2010, 10:16 AM
If you are going to try and hunt early for the deer, PM me and I'll give you a nice alpine spot I've connected on for a couple monsters in the early season.

nano
08-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Will be up there for opening weekend to hunt mostly grouse but if I see a deer I will probably shoot it .If not thanksgiving weekend will be serious deer time.

wolverine
08-24-2010, 06:26 PM
I'll be looking for a fall bear right away and lots of grouse. If I see something really too good to pass up well...... but other than that, I like to hunt when there is frost at night and it feels like hunting should in this province.