PDA

View Full Version : Going with a hunting party without a hunting license?

Ridge_Fridge
08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
So this is my first post here and I would like to apologize if there is another thread out there on the same subject, but I failed to find it.

My question is this, I hold a valid PAL and currently own a .22 I use for target shooting. I have never hunted before and have never given it too much thought. Now a friend of mine who has been hunting for a number of years is going hunting for mule deer in the upcoming months and I am curious if it is legal for me to go hunting with him but not shoot anything? I would like to carry my rifle if we come across any schedule "C" animals, but of course I would not fire on anything else.

Would anyone have a suggestion or a personal experience to share? I want to be a responsible firearms owner and respect the laws and regulations in place, hence this post. Thank you all in advance!

eaglesj
08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
You can carry your firearm because you have a valid PAL, but you are not allowed to hunt. It may be pretty hard to convince a CO that you are not hunting anything if you are packing a .22. I would just go with him, and forget the rifle. That's what I did with my buddy.

I will be talking to the CO in this area tonight, and see what his thoughts are, and PM you.

RJ
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Or just do the course, get your license and then not have to worry about it :-D

RJ
08-23-2010, 06:19 PM
From the BC hunting regs

Hunt and Hunting - includes shooting at,
attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, fol-
lowing after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
those things, whether or not the wildlife is then
or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b) while in possession of a firearm or other
weapon.

I would say leave the rifle, unless you have a valid license

Ridge_Fridge
08-23-2010, 06:26 PM
eaglesj: I appreciate that, and look forward to your PM

RJ: good find, I did not come across that but its pretty clear, thank you!

Rev.
08-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Just take the CORE and get your hunters number, once you have it you don't have to worry about it again. If you have no intention to hunt big game at this point, you are still able to just get a license without the tags and go bag yourself grouse, rabbit etc. Until you do this, just leave your guns at home.

BCBRAD
08-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Just take the CORE and get your hunters number, once you have it you don't have to worry about it again. If you have no intention to hunt big game at this point, you are still able to just get a license without the tags and go bag yourself grouse, rabbit etc. Until you do this, just leave your guns at home.

until then it sounds like camp bitch is in your future

shawnwells
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
like i tell the guys i know that wanna get into hunting...you gotta get on this shit early in the year...and dont put it off...because you will be bummed when the season gets here....because its still just a spectator sport for you...but get 'er done before next year !!

bearhunter338-06
08-23-2010, 09:13 PM
You have enough time to get the core book and study it. then chalange theand test, get your licens ans shoot grouse.

Marlin375
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
You were OK untill you got to here

if we come across any schedule "C" animals

You can pack a gun and kill all the rocks and stumps you want, but draw down on a critter and you need a licence (unless you are in a self-defence situation, or a farmer but thats also been covered a zillion times,) Animals are wildlife, even if they are vermin.

Get your core, you won't regret it.

NorthShoreX
08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
You were OK untill you got to here

You can pack a gun and kill all the rocks and stumps you want, but draw down on a critter and you need a licence (unless you are in a self-defence situation, or a farmer but thats also been covered a zillion times,) Animals are wildlife, even if they are vermin.

Get your core, you won't regret it.

I have to disagree with you.

Page 14, 2010-2012 BC Hunting & Trapping Synopsis:

Schedule C
4Schedule "C" animals can be captured
or killed anywhere and at any time in BC.
Schedule “C” birds may be hunted using electronic
calls. You do not need a hunting licence
to hunt or kill the following
Schedule “C” wildlife:
(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae -
snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American
opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray
squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic
pigeon)

Your post is right concerning this part....

4You do need a hunting licence to hunt the
following Schedule “C” wildlife UNLESS you
are hunting them on your property or they are
damaging your property:
(a) Corvus caurina - Northwestern Crow
(b) Corvus brachyrhynchos - American Crow
(c) Pica pica - black-billed magpie
(d) Molothrus ater - brown-headed cowbird
and the eggs of this bird species may be
destroyed.

shawnwells
08-24-2010, 03:08 AM
ummmm frogs and starlings for dinner it is !!

hunter1947
08-24-2010, 03:18 AM
Why not take your core then get your hunting license and one deer tag and your good to go or.

If you don't want to take your core I would say it would be ok to take a shotgun with you for back up.

If your partner shot a deer with his rifle and you two where stopped by a CO I'm sure the CO would know that this deer was shot by a rifle and not a shotgun slug.

Just don't shoot no birds with your shotgun as for anything else ,this shotgun is only for protection and that all..

Marlin375
08-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I have to disagree with you.

Page 14, 2010-2012 BC Hunting & Trapping Synopsis:

I stand corrected, and I like hunter1947s idea to take a shot gun...it works better on starlings and most other pests.

Squamch
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I called the co's office last year about this. My hunting partner had PAL but no hunting liscence. Guy I talked to said he could carry an UNLOADED shotgun, basically acting as my gunbearer, while I'd carry my deer rifle.