PDA

View Full Version : Quiet, lightweight stalking backpack

Brambles
08-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Hunting this year is gonna be limited to Late season Mulies, just too much going on to try for anything else.

I'm looking for a daypack size pack that is quiet for timber stalking but has enough room or straps for a spotter, extra clothes lunch etc etc.

Anyone tried any of the ones on the market?

Lets hear some suggestions

Thanks

troutseeker
08-23-2010, 01:32 AM
For a day pack I use an Eberlestock X1. Lunch, emergency gear, water and all the stuff I need for a day (and overnight if I get stuck). Plus it has the built in gun scabbard, convenient to stash you gun or some hiking poles and a 4 piece fly rod!

The pack material is quiet and strong and it has loop attachments to strap on extra gear if needed.

TheDuckinator
08-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Im about to purchase an eberlestock blue widow, day back that expands to a 7900cu inch behemoth. $289 in the states. No other pack comes close tothe just ones and blue widow imo.

Tanya
08-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Cabelas Bow and Rifle Pack (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20770&id=0014814515401a&navCount=2&podId=0014814&parentId=cat20770&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20770&hasJS=true). We've had a couple of them now for years, and they are great.

mcrae
08-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Eberlestock Gunslinger you can borrow mine:wink: Its an awsome little pack...

Bow Walker
08-23-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been using a Badlands Diablo for a couple of years now. Plenty of room for your stuff and it's not heavy or bulky at all.

mxracer328
08-23-2010, 07:55 AM
i have a sitka flash 20, and it is awesome, very quiet, lots of storage and straps, and many pockets for orginazition.

todbartell
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Badlands Diablo and Eberlestock X2 would be my picks

GoatGuy
08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Got an x1 and it's way too small for day hunts.

todbartell
08-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Got an x1 and it's way too small for day hunts.

you pack way too much TP :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
08-23-2010, 08:35 AM
you pack way too much TP :mrgreen:

There's a lot of bullshit out there.

In November I've got half of my clothes strapped to the outside nevermind packing a deer out on top of that. Look like a gypsy coming out of the bush.

Can't even fit a caribou quarter in one of those things. Carrying a quarter over each shoulder is no fun.

HD95
08-23-2010, 10:03 AM
FWIW Jeff;I use the Badlands Super-Day pack.Carries everything you need no problem. As an added bonus it has the ability to carry your rifle if you're needing two hands. For me,it is the most comfortable day pack I've ever used.

Buck
08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I have an X1 seems to have plenty of storage for me.Much bigger than a large fanny pack.There are several eberlestock models to chose from depending on your needs.

Gunner
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I picked up a Eberlestock Minime for my upcoming antelope hunt.It's small but carries my spotter,water,rifle,and the other small items I need very comfortably.I won't be too far from the truck,and I don't need to pack meat on it,so it fills my needs.I also have a Kifaru Daystalker,with the seat,and I could pack an antelope on that if I had to.It has more capacity and the Gunbearer if I need to hike in farther. Gunner

Ambush
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I've been using a Badlands 2200 for several years and find it fits the bill very well for long day hunts. It has gun/bow carry and you can pack 60# comfortably and way more if you prefer the misery of heavy loads to making two trips. Few "daypacks" allow you to pack your game if you are successful, which is your intended goal.
I'd rather carry a bit more pack than be under-packed.

There are daypacks and then there are the packs that you stick a water bottle, sandwich, gloves and TP in and sit on a stump 1/2 hour from your truck. Your hunting style will dictate your pack choice.

huntcoop
08-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Sitka packs. I have an Eberlestock Just One pack and I find it too heavy for a day pack, 8+ pounds for the empty pack!

I also am looking for a day pack than can carry meat out in a pinch. When your 10 miles from camp you certainly don't wanna make 2 trips if you can help it...

Brambles
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Well the Diablo and the Superday look alright as does the X2 but 4.5 lbs for 1800 cu in is a little hefty.

Now can someone clarify for me? The Badlands website show the 2200 @ 6 lbs 4 ounces and the 2800 @ 4 lbs 15 ounces.

Seems a little backwards to me, did they get the weights mixed up between the two, anyone have a 2200 that they can weigh?
The schnees website say the 2200 is 4.5lbs

pearljam
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a MR dragon slayer on the way. should be here any day now. 2300ci 4lbs im pretty stoked.

todbartell
08-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Well the Diablo and the Superday look alright as does the X2 but 4.5 lbs for 1800 cu in is a little hefty.

Now can someone clarify for me? The Badlands website show the 2200 @ 6 lbs 4 ounces and the 2800 @ 4 lbs 15 ounces.

Seems a little backwards to me, did they get the weights mixed up between the two, anyone have a 2200 that they can weigh?
The schnees website say the 2200 is 4.5lbs

my X2 (2009 model) is 3.4 lbs

Does anyone have experience with the Sitka packs. I have an Eberlestock Just One pack and I find it too heavy for a day pack, 8+ pounds for the empty pack!

I also am looking for a day pack than can carry meat out in a pinch. When your 10 miles from camp you certainly don't wanna make 2 trips if you can help it...

I have a Sitka Bivy 45. Haven't hunted with it but have done some hiking with 30 lbs total pack weight. Its pretty comfortable!

frenchbar
08-23-2010, 07:38 PM
i believe my badlands 2800 is just over 4 pds ..great pack ...it would be my choice.

Ambush
08-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I just weighed my 2005 model Badlands 2200 at 3.8# on a kitchen scale. One nice feature of the 2200 is the front entry access. It really does make finding things easier.

swampthing
08-28-2010, 07:59 AM
I bought a sitka bivy 45. I traded it in for an eberlestock j 107 which i love. I use it as a daypack but it is heavy. The sitka 45 I traded in was light and fit like a glove. The material was super quiet too. It may be a bit big for your needs but it will pack out a boned deer too.

The Hermit
08-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I just sold a Badlands 2200. Very comfy, tough, and carries a LOT of stuff including spotting scope sleeve and game.

The down sides are:
it is pretty heavy empty;
it is hot to wear in the early season;
insufficient pockets for organization;
all the zipper fobs broke off in the first few outings if not the first time you use them;
and the worst feature IMHO is that the zipper for the main compartment has a very sharp turning radius and ALWAYS hangs up on the material that COVERS it.

I am saving up for a MR Nice Frame with upgraded waist belt and a CrewCab for day/weekend trips, AND a 6500 bag with extra pockets etc for longer trips. I'm thinking that always having the frame will deal with any situation with game and the two bags will be sufficient for any hunting I'm likely to be doing.

The Hermit
08-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I bought a sitka bivy 45. I traded it in for an eberlestock j 107 which i love. I use it as a daypack but it is heavy. The sitka 45 I traded in was light and fit like a glove. The material was super quiet too. It may be a bit big for your needs but it will pack out a boned deer too.

What didn't you like about the SITKA?

mark
08-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Bramb's when you say "day pack" do you mean just a pack to pack your daily accessories.....if so any crappy ol pack will do.
I would think you want a pack capable of carrying out a boned out deer as well????? In which case why not yer J-107
I packed out a couple big bucks last year with a medium quality frame, and was seriously wishing I had a better pack!
I just got the MR 7500, It will be my everyday pack if Im going more than 1 hour from the truck! (comfy like jacket!)

Brambles
08-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Bramb's when you say "day pack" do you mean just a pack to pack your daily accessories.....if so any crappy ol pack will do.
I would think you want a pack capable of carrying out a boned out deer as well????? In which case why not yer J-107
I packed out a couple big bucks last year with a medium quality frame, and was seriously wishing I had a better pack!
I just got the MR 7500, It will be my everyday pack if Im going more than 1 hour from the truck! (comfy like jacket!)

I want a pack for November timber hunting mulies, Carry some gear ie clothes spotting scope water lunch knives etc and be quiet as I travel through the thicker stuff. Not terribly worried about being able to pack out a deboned animal as sliding a buck down hill in the snow is pretty easy work. If I decide to go way back then I can use my other packs, but sometimes depending on snow conditions you don't need to do the big treks beause the deer are down lo, you just gotta go into the timber and be quiet.

The J107 tips the scales at 8.5 lbs if you don't take the spike duffle, a smaller pack that weighs half as much will move through the timber better and allow me to carry my gear with less weight.

Buck
08-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I want a pack for November timber hunting mulies, Carry some gear ie clothes spotting scope water lunch knives etc and be quiet as I travel through the thicker stuff. Not terribly worried about being able to pack out a deboned animal as sliding a buck down hill in the snow is pretty easy work. If I decide to go way back then I can use my other packs, but sometimes depending on snow conditions you don't need to do the big treks beause the deer are down lo, you just gotta go into the timber and be quiet.

I think the X1 fits your reguirements.It has hydration lots of storage rides close to your body and you can put the rifle in the scabbard when skidding your deer.It also has an adjustable torso for a good fit.

gun_rat82
08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
badlands hypervent is awesome. light and comfy carries enough gear but not so much to bog you down

Wrongside
08-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Anouther vote for the MR dragon slayer. I have one and use it just as a light easy to carry pack. It is large enough to carry my spotter and tripod if I want. The quality of this pack is next to none. Its nice that all the straps tuck up out of the way and dont get hung up on branches when going through the thick stuff. It is also narrower then the ave. guys shoulders so it has a good profile.... You wont be dissapointed with this pack!

I really like mine too. With the upgraded waistbelt it'll carry more than a day pack should. Or it chinches down nice and compact when needed. Great, quality pack.

stoneslinger
08-28-2010, 10:05 PM
This year I will be using a big pack frame for November mule deer timber hunts. Will be packing in a big square bale of alfalfa each time.