View Full Version : About ATV

hawkfu
08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I am looking for a atv.
HONDA FOREMAN 500
KAWASAKI BRUTE FORCE 750
YAMAHA GRIZZLY 700

or JEEP RUBICON, 2 DOOR.

For hunting use only, which one is better?
THX

mxracer328
08-23-2010, 07:56 AM
last year we had a jeep yj, 4 cylinder and we went everywhere that the quads did, they were very suprised. we also had a heater and cup holders when the quads didnt. but if i was goin for a quad i would get a honda, you cant beat them

Drillbit
08-23-2010, 08:39 AM
^ I agree.

CanuckShooter
08-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Get the jeep or a Polaris, get north american produced.......:wink:

Bobfl
08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
had a 2001 honda forman E/S and a 2009 polaris 500 EFI. Both good machines other then the newer machines are heavier and will pull more before the front end lifts. newer is better

375 ultramag
08-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I've got 2 700 Grizzly's........I like them. If your shopping have a look at them.

Barracuda
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Get the jeep or a Polaris, get north american produced.......:wink:

there all north american produced i think

hawkfu
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
any difference between honda 500 foreman and rubicon?

my brother got a artic cat 750 utv, and park in my place, we use it once for hunting, and not feels good.:(

by the way, personally i prefer honda motor, but just concern about the power"500cc" is smaller than the others. any ideas about it?

mxracer328
08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
my dad has a rubicon 500 and it pulls our moose out every year, thru deactication and mud puddles with no problem. before that quad he had a polaris sportsman 700 and had nothing but problems with it. electrical woes, blown belts. nice thing about a honda is that it has a hydrostatic drive on the rubicon, so you dont have to worry about blown belts.

yzchamp
08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
suzuki samurai, suzuki kinquad or yamaha grizzly... in that order..:)

srupp
08-27-2010, 07:50 AM
I have the Honda 500 Canadian Trails edition,,LOTS OF POWER ...your not logging ..lol?? are you ??lol..gets me anywhere and everywhere..pull out moose bear, never had any problems with Hondas for past 16 years of using spring summer fall winter all year round...no leaks, no failures , no letdowns...and when your anywhere in the back country reliable will top that extra 100 ccs every time..thes ecan be expensive to purchase and repair..so do tha maintenence..drive sanely and enjoy...the Honda..

cheers Steven:mrgreen:

r106
08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
suzuki samurai, suzuki kinquad or yamaha grizzly... in that order..:)

X2.........................

Peters Wildlife
08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I have the Honda 500 Canadian Trails edition,,LOTS OF POWER ...your not logging ..lol?? are you ??lol..gets me anywhere and everywhere..pull out moose bear, never had any problems with Hondas for past 16 years of using spring summer fall winter all year round...no leaks, no failures , no letdowns...and when your anywhere in the back country reliable will top that extra 100 ccs every time..thes ecan be expensive to purchase and repair..so do tha maintenence..drive sanely and enjoy...the Honda..

cheers Steven:mrgreen:

I have to agree with Srupp, the Honda will get you home every time.

.330 Dakota
08-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I've got 2 700 Grizzly's........I like them. If your shopping have a look at them.
Same I have a 700 Griz as well, great unit love the power steering.
I had a Yamaha outboard that ran 20 years without a hickup, and thats what made me look to Yamaha quads

shadow1982
08-27-2010, 07:58 AM
If you are shopping around, how about a TRACKER?

Caveman
08-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Get the one with the heater is you're soft and want some tunes to hunt with like Fisherdude, or any of the quads are fine, even with only a 500cc engine. It will pull what ever you can knock down with you Mag! I too like the Trackers or Samurai they will go about anywhere

yzchamp
08-27-2010, 09:56 AM
If u decide to get a quad dont go to big displacement.. stay around 500 cc, not that much of a power difference but gas milage is brutal... my KQ 750 burns as much as V8... all though big tires and all of the other mods contribute to that... My samurai on the other hand will go all of the places Kingquad will , it has a heater ,tunes, roof if u need it and u can drive it right from your house , 1/3 of a price of a new quad, cheap to insure and great on gas !!! cant beat that..
check out craigslist in van and bc4x4.com for some sweet rigs..:)

coquitlam
08-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I dont know why you dont have the kingquad. I have a 700 and 500 powersteering and they are great. the best machine is the grizzly then the kingquad. Yes the honda has a great motor but the rest of it is from the stone age. The syspension on most do not have independant rear which is a huge difference. not fuel injected some no pull start if electrical problems and the list goes on. If you really want good info go to quad.ca . As far as power if a 700 is better than a 500 .The only thing my 700 can do more than the 500 is top speed . I could probably pull a moose and an elk at one time with it as long as I get traction with the 500. By the way there cheap in the states

yzchamp
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda has a good engine ,thats about it , transmission and suspension is way behind other atvs... polaris makes a good atv also, its at lest 100 lb heavier then any thing else though..

takla1
08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
suzuki king quad 750 hands down fav,and the fuel economy is great being fuel injected.And i know for a fact no suzuki sidekick will go into the same spots,not even close,we kill our moose every yr half way up a cutblock with a stream and wetlands,swamp ect and fallen trees,stumps ect,youd never get a sameri up into that but the kingquad hands it no problem

pete_k
08-27-2010, 04:58 PM
All great units.
There is a Polaris Sportsman 700. Brand new 2009 on sale in Vernon for $7500 at the dealer. Might be gone already.

Moose Guide
08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Yamaha
Can-Am
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Honda
Argo
Artic cat
old trike
bicycle
boots
Polaris if I have to!

r106
08-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Yamaha
Can-Am
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Honda
Argo
Artic cat
old trike
bicycle
boots
Polaris if I have to!

switch the kawi for suzuki and I agree
________
VAPIR NO2 (http://no2vaporizers.com)

longwalk
08-29-2010, 05:08 AM
All new model big name quads are good, it just depends what is important to you. I was doing some scouting with a friend a couple of weeks ago. He has a 800 Sportsman, I have a 420 Rancher. I went every where he did and most of the time speed was not an issue because of where we were riding. I was more agile on my quad and could fit through tighter spaces that he had to crawl over or go around. He did have a more comfortable ride with better ground clearance and IRS. The big difference though was at the end of @ 100kms of steep rough riding mixed with some road riding I put in 5.5 liters of fuel, my buddy put in close to 12l.

Benthos
08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
i personally have a yamaha kodiak 450 and love it. Must have's include IRS, locking Front Diff, and check for ground clearance.

The kodiak is also compact so fits very well in the back of a pickup and is lower so can fit in small garage while in your pickup.

Most recently I have rode a 2008 honda, and I much prefer my yamaha for ride comfort, the automatic tranny, and compact package

2x4x16
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Will have to agree with most about the function if the big engined quads. I have a 04 foreman 450, it will go anywhere the large new quads will go, just a little slower on the open logging roads, but the fuel usage also hurts on the larger bikes.
As for jeeps and Suzuki's - first the Suzuki will out perform and last any stock jeep. but their size is still a limitation in the bush, I still would not consider a vehicle over the quad - even considering the extra comfort.

hawkfu
08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
I try my friends UTV(artic cat) this hunting season, feel not bad, but too heavy! we stuck once and three adults pull it out hard.(winch rope too shot, 50' , can not reach the tree) I love north american product, personally own a 150 fx4, tough and heavy duty. but for ATVs, i prefer japanese motors cus they are more realiable.(reference to all the feedback from friends) just got a 500 rubicon from dealers, testing drive and feels prety good.

Moosetang
09-06-2010, 08:01 AM
any difference between honda 500 foreman and rubicon?

my brother got a artic cat 750 utv, and park in my place, we use it once for hunting, and not feels good.:(

by the way, personally i prefer honda motor, but just concern about the power"500cc" is smaller than the others. any ideas about it?

The Foreman 500 is an electric shift standard transmission and the Rubicon is an automatic fluid drive type. Best auto out there bar none. I have a Rubicon and just love it.

nerka992003
09-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I've only ever owned Yamaha right now have a 660 with 26" Swamp lites which just goes and goes. Second is my 400 Big Bear with mud-lites both are awesome, have no worries about ever getting back to where I started from.

Phreddy
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Yamaha
Can-Am
Kawasaki
Suzuki
Honda
Argo
Artic cat
old trike
bicycle
boots
Polaris if I have to!

Switch the Kawasaki and the CanAm and it'll be a lot more accurate.

Moosetang
09-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Ditto on the Polaris... Of course you will need the boots to walk out of the bush.

moosetaken
09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Go for a suzuki samurai or sidekick get a set of mattrax and you'll go anywhere

.330 Dakota
09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I have 4 Yamaha's, 1-700 Griz, 1-450 Kodiak, and 2-400 Kodiak's, the only change I would make if I had to do it all over is to buy 4-550 Grizz's as the power steering is a real treat as is the EFI for high altitude running etc. As far as Yami products I think they are #1 for relablity and engineering

Squamch
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Well if you must have a heep (proper espanol pronounciation), a rubicon's where it's at, d44's instead of balsa wood 30/35 combo, and a 4:1 case, plus it's got real tires.
But a Suzuki samurai or tracker is better cause anyone with a set of mastercraft wrenches and sockets can fix it.
On that topic, my hunting partner has a sprung over Sami, locked front and rear, 5.13:1 diff gears, and an arb-clone winch bumper for sale...you can drive this quad on the street!
Pm me if ya want more info.

BigfishCanada
09-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Well I just sold my Yamaha Kodiak, and it was so reliable, and I would always buy a yamaha in regards to ATV, or Boat motor. I sold my ATV because I found I froze my ass off a few times to many, I hunt with kids now and wanted a small truck which was warmer and safer, I spent months looking on craigslist. It needed to be an automatic, small and built tough. I ended up with this, I added new shocks, complete top end rebuild, New alternator,starter,muffler and a few other things to make it last a very long time. I want to ad a UHF and Winch and Roof rack, then im done! (Its a right hand drive 1990 Pajero, built like a rock)

http://www.chriscade.ca/cades4x4huntingmachine2.JPG

www.bclakefronts.com
Lakefront cabins for rent.

ufishifish2
09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
This is a rediculous thread, but I can't help but weigh in here. It's like asking which is the best pickup. Anyways, for quads, go with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawasaki. As many have said, the Hondas really are still in the stone ages when it comes to advancement in technology. It can't harm those who don't know the difference though, cause they'll still get you there eventually, even if you are more battered and bruised up from the ride.
As far as displacement goes, get a bigger motor unless you are an old fart. The 700's have a much better top speed which makes it more fun. They are also much better for powering through early winter, or early spring snow. If you never test it by pushing the boundaries, you'd be oblivious to the facts, but if you work it hard the answer becomes pretty clear.
Are big motors harder on fuel. Yes, of course, but not enough to notice unless you buy crazy big tires. I get about 250 kms on 10L of fuel. Good enough, and if you are riding farther than that, bring a jerry can and a tent, cause it's going to take you all day to drain that tank.
Here are a couple common issues:
Honda = Vintage technology plain and simple.
Grizzly = Belt drive floods out easily when crossing streams. There are fairly inexpensive simple mods to fix this.
Can-am = I-beam style frame is terrible. Bent and broken frames are extremely common. Awesome machines, but stupid frame designs. Aluminum skid plates will help to reduce this common problem, but overall, is it really worth the hassle for something the warranty won't cover???

yzchamp
09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
250km on 10l of fuel?? maybe on a 50 cc scooter....lol

ufishifish2
09-11-2010, 03:34 PM
250km on 10l of fuel?? maybe on a 50 cc scooter....lol

Nope, I have put over 2500 kms on a 2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 and virtually always get over 250kms/tank unless in really tough terrain (mud, rocks, and especially snow). I know this because I always reset the tripometer after every refueling. Cross me heart!!!:)

Hydrojet
09-11-2010, 05:11 PM
had a samuri...worked great until I rolled it...have a sportsman 500 ho which is fun when goofin' off with the guys...hunting is now my mazda b4000 short box reg cab....34 tires, dana lockers front and back. winch front and back...little harder on fuel than the samuri but I can tow a decent trailer of gear with no problems! gets camp in and out with animal as well!

yzchamp
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Nope, I have put over 2500 kms on a 2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 and virtually always get over 250kms/tank unless in really tough terrain (mud, rocks, and especially snow). I know this because I always reset the tripometer after every refueling. Cross me heart!!!:)
hmm my 08 kingquad 750 with the same tank as yours i assume, takes 17l of gas and i get around 150 km....