PDA

View Full Version : Huge bear surprise

5/10/85
08-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Went to check my trail camera tonight. Got there and my heart dropped...gone! I thought some idiot had stolen it. It was fastened to a dead log which was buried in the dirt and it and the log was gone. It was on private land and I didn't think anyone else hunted or walked there, since it was pretty thick, but I figured I must have been wrong. Then, I decided to walk around a bit and look for it to see if someone had just moved it...and there it was! Face up on the ground about 8 yards away - the window to the infrared flash was broken, but it was still working! I figured some trespassing anti-hunter had tried to break it. Then I got it home...Wow. Found this pic, http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20189&ppuser=2303and one minute later...on the ground facing the sky. Ever happened to anyone else?

shawnwells
08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
a dude at my work lost 2 cameras to bears this year...shitty deal but fairs fair when we leave our stuff in their house i guess...im waiting for it to happen to me...on my shawn wells 2010 trailcam thread you see the giant elk nose picture...they know the cameras are there ....they just don't know what they are

Steeleco
08-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice looking bear. Doesn't like having hi picture taken though!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/MDGC0034.JPG

Stone Sheep Steve
08-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Not a huge bear but it doesn't take a monster to wreck a camera.

I had my cam for maybe a week before the same thing happenned(mid Nov). Finally got a new rear housing for it a month ago.

Hang it higher. Use some screw in treestand pegs if you have to.

SSS

ianwuzhere
08-23-2010, 06:20 AM
i had the same thing happen to be- ripped rite off the tree and missing- was a lil ways away too from where i had it to the tree. the strap had come out of the buckle and was another 10 feet away from the cam- the cam was face down and still working ok..

.300WSMImpact!
08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
my dad has had two taken off trees by bears, neither broke but good marks put in the trees

OutWest
08-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Had a bear gnawing on one of ours and almost pulled it off the tree if it wasn't for the lock. We've got bear boxes for all of them now and no problems.

luckynuts
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Funny! My neighbor just absouletly hates bears is terrified of them, though every year he hangs 3-4 cameras out and loses 1-2 due to bears. anywise last year we built a treestand where he was getting good elk and moose pics and he decided to put of a couple more cameras in the area. We went to check it one day and lo and behold 2 cameras chewed up and the "bears" climbed up and all around his stand, there were chew marks on the hand rails claw marks on all 3 trees, oh it was priceless. Don't think he ever hunted it alone.

W.