PDA

View Full Version : How long you sit in your stand?

5/10/85
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Tried hunting from a stand last year, and eventually got my buck (in the rut), but I also sat in my stand (a ton) during the first week of hunting season and never saw a deer. In my experience blacktails are only moving early in the morning - from about 830am-noon they're bedded. How long do people normally sit in their stands (for blacktails?)

358win
08-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Depends on if your scouting has shown the area has recient activity. If you have a stand that is active and you approach is undetected, you should see deer.

Drillbit
08-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't know how people can sit in a stand.

To me it seems like following a car doing the speed limit on the highway. Painfull.

As far as movement goes, I think your on the right track with the early morning action. Hopefully it'll pay off for you!

greybark
08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
:-D Hey 5/10/85 , You sit till absolutly frozen , can`t think , and can`t move , then you sit some more :-D
:wink: Three hours in morn and three hours in evening......

Evolution
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I try to get to my stand an hour before daylight. I am usually home by 9:30 as most deer are not moving by 8:30. In the evening I try to get to it by 4:30 and stay until dark. That being said I hate stand hunting. And honestly, I usually do a walk through an area I know hold deer. I ve shot most of my deer at 8 ish in the morning. I always worry that a late deer will just result in looking in the dark for a blood trail. They are hard enough to track in the daylight. One thing I do try to do is clean my "usual" path of any noisy debris so I can stalk in silence.

Bow Walker
08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Given how fat and old I am, I'd be there at least 30 minutes before daylight.

Depending on the time of year and the conditions, I'd stay there for at least 4 hours and then come back about 3 pm and sit there until it was fully dark.

Sounds like I've been watching too much Realtree TV, huh?

wolverine
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I hunted a ground blind last year for the first time. We bagged a double header. I was amazed at how well it worked and plan on doing the same this year. How long were we in it? About 4.5 hours.

Lil Bow Pete
08-23-2010, 09:07 PM
The whole idea of a stand is to be in it when a deer walks by. If you are confident in your spot and the wind is right, spend as much time there as you can. You are more likely to spook game on the walk in and out so make the best of the time you are there. Don't be afraid of trailing in the dark. Blood shines under a good flash lite or headlamp.