PDA

View Full Version : Big Black Bear Taken

MooseSpotter
04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone, for my first post I though I would show people the bear
I got on Saturday April 22, 2006. I went hunting with my friend elkhound
and symon on the sunshine coast, for black bear. Our choices were kind of limited due to snow on the road so we went to a lower altitude area.
We were in the truck driving and I spotted him right away 187 yards off of the road in the shadeline ontop of a big rock. I said hey wait a minute is in't that
a bear??? Elkhound stopped the truck and I looked through my binos I saw a
unusally black thing quickly wondered why my binos were out of focus adjusted them to reveal a brown nose and some ears that were on the sides
of his head instead on top.. So I thought it was a big bear. we go out and
waited looking for other bears (cubs) did not see any and i sort of figured it
was a male bear its what i would have been doing just a lazy male bear i thought. I used elkhound's 338 because it had a scope and took aim from my
stump. The first shot hit him good and was a kill shot in the lungs but he stumbled and started to turn around so i took another shot the first shot was him looking at me from the front. When he turned it gave me a better
shot. It would have been a lung heart shot but i forgot about the rise and
hit him in the tenderloin and sholder. It knocked the legs out from under him. Then we lost sight of him. we heard him give out a chewbacca growl
that scared the beep out of elkhound. Then onbe of the trees started to shake back and forth then it stopped. We waited for what seemed like
forever (5 minutes) or so then slowly started walking up to him. I found him still moving basicly dead just reflexs. I put a kill shot in with my .444.
I was shaking when i approached him. With my safety off and my gun pointed at him.

I learnt four things on my trip

1 if you not sure if you can't hit the bear well with iron sights let him go
Elkhound's rope is not long enough to reach him for a simple pull out.

2 Elkhound and I would probabbly still be out in that slash getting the bear
in the truck if it was not for symon... thanks man..

3 Bear tastes great.

4. sunshine coast slashs suck for walking through.

I decided to have the hide done up for my dad so i won't be entering the
contest. Laying out flat it measured 88 inches 7' 5" The distance between
the ears was 9" 1/4 1/2 inch shy of Elkhounds last week. But my bear was longer....

good luck hunting everyone If interested in big bears try talking nicely to
elkhound.

Iron-Head
04-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey there Steve I wrote a story as well :grin: I got willyqbc to load up the pics ,go take a look.!
Symon