PDA

View Full Version : Strange Looking Blackie

TheProvider
08-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Was out this morning on my way up to a few areas to scout around near Squamish. A black bear ran out in front of me. I've seen an awful lot of blackies in my life but none like this one. The height of it Im presuming it was 3.5 to 4.5yr old. The funny thing is tho it had long legs but its body size of its chest and waist was only the size of a wolf. I'm guessing it was pretty malnourished even tho it seemed to have lots of energy and a nice shinny black coat. The legs were way to long for its body. Unfortunately didn't get a pic of it before it disappeared. On a positive note tho I did see a few more grouse than normal:-D

Barracuda
08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
it could simply be a very young large framed blackie that could turn into a monster in a few years

TheProvider
08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Thats very true also. Hopefully cause if so he'd be a monster.

pappy
08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I seen a blackie that had a similar description up north once, it acted and looked young to me. Its funny to see black bears up in northeastern B.C. as they look like slightly overgrown black labs compared to most of the bears on the island. Their still aggresive thou for small bears.

aliagha
08-22-2010, 08:29 PM
be cautious...... it might be a warewolf....;)

k-zone
08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
I saw two that fit that description up near fort at james. I thought they were dogs.

TyTy
08-22-2010, 11:54 PM
How do you exactly presume an animals height by its age. doesn't make any sense.

TheProvider
08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense. Height was the only characteristic that I saw other than the abnormal body size compared to its lengthy legs. The bear was running quartering away from me so I didn't see the head. I look ed at his height and judged it against bears I've either watched or taken. Is it a good method? No. But only having one characteristic to go by doesn't make it easy. Having at least two or more is much better specially with bears. I presume I'm like most hunters and judged an animal every time I see one. Estimating the weight, age, antler size and yardage.

islander7mm
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Could of been a big bear in skinny jeans?