PDA

View Full Version : Stone's sheep hunting locations

Pages : [1] 2

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 01:37 PM
This thread has been started with a goal to provide resident sheep hunters information about areas to hunt for Stone's sheep. I will provide as much accurate information as my experiences will allow. I hope that others will contribute. It is also my hope that the thread will be kept free of useless comments and wasteful clutter. Cheers to all resident Stone's sheep hunters.

This thread provides my motivation:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54252

I will limit my comments to Stone's sheep hunting spots. Will be saving the info on Bighorns and the Dall's for another time.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Racing River

Access from the Alaska highway. Can walk, horse or use ATV (may be able to use boat but I would not bother as there is an ATV trail). Tentsi creek would be a good spot for a late September/early October ram.

shallowH2O
08-22-2010, 01:41 PM
starting to plan my first stone hunt for next year, look forward to this thread as it developes

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Macdonald Creek

Very popular spot to hike for Stone's ram. Also very, very productive. This has been a long time favorite place of many, many hunters. Watch out for high water crossings during periods of heavy rain.

leadpillproductions
08-22-2010, 01:49 PM
great thread , but how many hunters will help out with this one lots i hope lol .good on you stoneslinger.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Kechika/Gataga River

Riverboat access. Gataga mountain holds every type of game animal. It is huge and very productive. Spend the time to look carefully for sheep on the front side. Horse trails lead into the back country and are visible from Kechika river.

Denetiah Lake fly-in. Bring a rubber raft or canoe if Urs will allow.

pearljam
08-22-2010, 01:50 PM
This could be a great thread! The toughest part of planning a new hunt is trying to decide where to go. good on yah!

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Turnagain River

Riverboat access. Can also be safely done with an outboard propellor engine mounted to a small boat or raft.
Sandpile Creek on right above old Turnagain River Outfitters. Major Hart river on right. Head up to the left from the 1st spike camp (the one with the old snowmobile and cabins). There is a trail that heads into some fantastic sheep hunting knobs. Lots of timber and trail may be grown in by now unless it has been used by the outfitter.
There is good sheep hunting on the left side of valley beyond the old snowmobile heading up. Also try Nista Creek.

Moodie Lakes

Great fly in spot. Lots of good sheep country. It is a base for the GO. Do not be shy and do not for a second think that the rams are "all sewn up". This is and always has been a spot to get nice rams with very nice dark hides.

StoneChaser
08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
This could be a great thread! The toughest part of planning a new hunt is trying to decide where to go. good on yah!

Just remember to take any advice given by a sheep hunter on an internet forum with a BLOCK of salt :wink:!

After all, sheep hunters enjoy nothing more than hiking for days to share a drainage with a bunch of complete strangers:mrgreen:

Gunner
08-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Just remember to take any advice given by a sheep hunter on an internet forum with a BLOCK of salt :wink:!

After all, sheep hunters enjoy nothing more than hiking for days to share a drainage with a bunch of complete strangers:mrgreen:Are you trying to tell me that that ridge east of Chilliwack that you told me about doesn't have any sheep on it?:mrgreen:

srupp
08-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Ash Mtn. some good sheep to be had and the side benifit of GREAT caribou in the same area..GREAT CARIBOU..

Anywhere from the plane crash site..literally..down into the valley with lake to land on... and then south to the dark ash volcanic rock (black ) most stone sheep shit I have ever seen and the Ash Mtn is covered in sheep trails..

Along the lake is a grizzly trail that had some humungous grizzly tracks..

the lake can be landed on with a beaver plane very safetly...from there several directions that ALL hold rams..

I looked up the location and it is 59.18.520 x 130. 34.164.......thats the place we flew into and camped...

Steven

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks srupp. I was hoping people like you and Carl (maybe even Bill), StoneSheepSteve, Bridger, BCrams, Deaddog and others will add information.

Urs from Northern Rockies Lodge has been flying sheep hunters for a very long time. He is a wealth of information and provides a very good service - especially if you are not a cheapskate. There is also Jeff Browne from Steamboat Mountain Outfitters (good guy), Tetsa River Outfitters, and Riverjet Adventures. I believe High and Wild (formerly Big Nine) caters to residents in Gathto Creek area. Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek to stay at his cabin. Great rams and plentiful elk.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
The area between Toad River and Muncho Lake has many, many, many great sheep hunting spots off the highway. There are lots of "numbered" creeks. Take the one that goes up past Mount Socrates. Don't be shy about heading up any of the numbered creeks from the highway.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Churchhill Mine Road

Take a long walk into the Wokkpash, Upper Racing River and beyond. Do the loop and come out MacDonald Creek.

Road up the Toad

Take your ATV up the old mine road. Hunt any and all drainages along the way

Tetsa River Trail

This one is busy with the horse crowd. Try late season when they all go home. Bathtub Creek if you have the legs. Another good option is to fly into Tetsa Lake - pilot willing. If you have the legs this trail will lead you to some great ram hangouts. Henry Creek, upper Chischa river. Hunt in the direction of Stone Mountain Park from Tetsa Lake.

Summit Lake

Hike in on the trails and roads on the left towards Mount St. George. Good late season sheep hunting in the snow.

Nonda Creek Trail

Hunt the north side of the highway. Another good late season spot.

leadpillproductions
08-22-2010, 03:23 PM
has anyone used steamboat mnt outfitters , i have a brochur coming looks interesting

d6dan
08-22-2010, 03:53 PM
has anyone used steamboat mnt outfitters , i have a brochur coming looks interesting

Why hire a G/O Colin when you can do it yourself and feel satisfied you planned it all and were(with any luck) successful and also a hell of alot cheaper..:?

leadpillproductions
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
they just pack us in we do the rest

d6dan
08-22-2010, 03:59 PM
they just pack us in we do the rest

Whatever, It was just the way we did it years ago and enjoyed it from start to finish..Shooting a Ram is bonus.:wink:

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Jeff Browne is a very good man and has lots of knowledge of the area. I would not hesitate to use his service. His son was just a young lad when I met him but I am certain he is top knotch.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Tuchodi Lakes

This place can be busy but it has produced many, many very large rams over the years. walk up to Gataga Pass from the West Tuchodi Lake. From the top you can go down towards top end of Racing river or camp around the mighty Mount Campobasso. It is a long pull to the summit of the pass. Follow the horse trail. Hunt the drainages that rise up on the right or left. Lots of water for your drinking pleasure.

Upper Deaddog Creek

This area also has an outfitter trail and heads towards the Gathto. Lots of area to hunt and is known to be productive ram country. If you don't like main trails go make your own up any of the drainages or passes. Follow the horse trail. Save your legs for the steep stuff further in. No need to bushwhack. Horse trails are great to walk on - especially with a heavy pack.

sako_300
08-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Road up the Toad

Take your ATV up the old mine road. Hunt any and all drainages along the way

I was having a burger at Toad River two years ago before my sheep hunt and these two guys walk in - we get to BS'ing and they say you want to see the sheep we just shot. Well I walk out to there truck and they have two 40" + rams sitting there, needless to say I'm speechless. So I ask, whereabouts did you shoot these. Apparently they were quading this road, looked over the edge and spotted the two of them. I believe the story as they were both 50+, overweight and certainly weren't the backpacking type. Total fluke, yes, but goes to show you there are rams up there, and good ones.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Sheep hunting involves patience, good fortune and lot of eye work. Some of my most productive hunts occurred when I was being lazy, not moving for days, and napping at cozy vantage points. I have never been one to walk for miles and miles and I normally like to remain well hidden and always looking.

blueboy
08-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Hunt were the outfitters hunt and you will be successful

frenchbar
08-22-2010, 05:12 PM
this is great!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ramron
08-22-2010, 05:19 PM
The headwaters of the prophet were always good to me. And you can always drop down into the akie or muska.

Alpine85
08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Guy could always hit up one of Drinkall's daughters. When having dinner at his house, go steal all his maps.:mrgreen:

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Guy could always hit up one of Drinkall's daughters. When having dinner at his house, go steal all his maps.:mrgreen:

No need for that. I posted how to get to 3 different areas in his territory. For residents with ATV just head to the hairpin in the mine road and hunt down the creek towards Gataga River. Try around Dieppe Mountain or further south. Hunt the headwaters of the Toad. Or head past Moose Lake. Lots of walking and lots of sheep.

willy442
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks srupp. I was hoping people like you and Carl (maybe even Bill), StoneSheepSteve, BCrams, Deaddog and others will add information.

Urs from Northern Rockies Lodge has been flying sheep hunters for a very long time. He is a wealth of information and provides a very good service - especially if you are not a cheapskate. There is also Jeff Browne from Steamboat Mountain Outfitters (good guy), Tetsa River Outfitters, and Riverjet Adventures. I believe High and Wild (formerly Big Nine) caters to residents in Gathto Creek area. Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek to stay at his cabin. Great rams and plentiful elk.

Sorry I can't release info until Carl has his ram. Sounds like he will release all my spots next year anyway.:)

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Sorry I can't release info until Carl has his ram. Sounds like he will release all my spots next year anyway.:)

I welcome your input as I am certain other sheep hunters will. I hope that Devilbear does not emerge from the ashes and ruin this fine thread.

08-22-2010, 08:10 PM

We used Steamboat this August and had a great hunt. Saw lots of rams, but only one legal. Jeff's horses are great and he is a good guy. He can definately get you into decent country, plus you get to experience the romance of a horse packtrain :-D

pappy
08-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I like this thread,I have only hunted sheep unsucessfully once and that alone was worth the trip just for the scenery. It was only for a 4 day trip and thats just not long enough. I hope to get out there some time in September or if not then it will have to be next year.The Nonda is accessable by pick-up and then its hiking from where ever you park. When I was up in that area there were lots of hunters everywhere, but that was around opening day.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I cannot comment on region 6 as I have never hunted Stone's there. Perhaps some others could provide info. on this under utilized region.

TARCHER
08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Land on cottonwood lake north of dease and west of cassiar, there is a good base camp area. Look south towards blue river. Good sheep and caribou country. I don't think Bruce is flying anymore with bc yukon outfitters. Look sharp as the sheep are there.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 08:50 PM
North End of Muncho Lake Park

Hike the trail up the Gundahoo River. Hunt the southern drainages. Stay east of Netson River in MU 7-51.

Gundahoo Pass area to the west of Muncho Lake. Hunt the Folded mountains north from the highway or hike south off Nonda Creek road.

pearljam
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
There is a good horse trail at mile 410 on the alaska hwy. follow it for 5-6 hours in and look up.

dutchie
08-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I welcome your input as I am certain other sheep hunters will. I hope that Devilbear does not emerge from the ashes and ruin this fine thread.

HAHAHAH i think that he is banned for a few more days!

Thanks for this thread. It is very informative and helpfull!

Dutchie

leadpillproductions
08-22-2010, 09:06 PM
We used Steamboat this August and had a great hunt. Saw lots of rams, but only one legal. Jeff's horses are great and he is a good guy. He can definately get you into decent country, plus you get to experience the romance of a horse packtrain :-D

any pics of your trip

pappy
08-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Is there any info on the Liard River Corridor park access? It looks like another trail to get to the sheep mountains.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 09:20 PM

No need for that. I heard she likes to walk up mountains and sniff out resident backpack hunters.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
OK gents I'm done for the night. Time for some of you other chaps to post up some good info. My goal is to introduce as many resident hunters to Stone's sheep hunting as possible. What better way than to direct them to an area where they stand a good chance of harvest.

A high number of resident Stone's sheep hunters will provide a stronger voice with which to oppose GOABC initiatives. Perhaps some members of the Wild Sheep Society can post. Licensed BC transporters will benefit from more resident sheep hunters.

ufishifish2
08-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Good on you Stoneslinger, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact with "Deaddog" this year. He has been absolutely awesome in helping me to plan my first ever Sheep hunt this year in around the Moose lake area you mentioned. Only a few sleeps left....... can't hardly wait.
Thanks to all you die hard sheep hunters for being so helpful, I just wish everyone was so nice. Hope I get the opportunity to help one of you guys out one day.

srupp
08-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Another option is to contact Kevin Willis with Riverjet Adventures..exellent jet boats for the Muskwa and Tuchodi and ???He is very river safe and knowlegable and can get you up the river and into the sheep areas..he is a "transporter" but is in these mountains daily for 4-5 months a year..

reliable, trustworthy honest gentleman...certainly cant go wrong back in his neck of the woods..

cheers
Steven

i will add a couple more locations..with some lakes GPS'D out..

The ONLY stone sheep location I cant or will not give out is where I shot my 2009 ram..its how kevin makes his living ...and I am sure he is taking other hunters and dropping them off in the general location..as well as even better areas..

great idea,

Steven

Coming_out_heavy.
08-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Hunt were the outfitters hunt and you will be successful

I think you are on to something.

08-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Ask him to take you to Beckman Creek.

Horses required:

Go to the old York camp on Gathto Cr: 58deg 05' 32" x 123deg 46' 19" and hike north up the small valley just to the west of camp, go over a small pass and drop down into Beckman Cr (about 6 or 7 miles). Cross Beckman Creek and ride up to the three little foothills (about 2 miles) on the east side of the trail. Hunt both sides of this valley.

Go up Gathto Cr. past the Big Nine headquarters to the old abandoned WWII airstrip at approx 58deg 00' 40" x 124deg 20' 34", go halfway down the airstrip and pick up a horse trail that takes one over the ridge (steep and slippery when wet) to the north and down into Stern Creek (north fork of Gathto), proceed up Stern Cr to approx 57deg 59' 49" x 124deg 26' 22" and hunt both forks of the valley that runs in from the north at that location (good trail).

Resident hunters are not utilizing their sheep allocation. If they did it would not hurt the sheep populations if the AAH is sustainable, if not it might scare MOE into revising their AAH more to realistic levels which would result in revised non-resident quotas.

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Is there any info on the Liard River Corridor park access? It looks like another trail to get to the sheep mountains.

Ckeck here for general information:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/liard_rv_corr/

One of the trips on my todo list has been to run down the Toad and hunt both sides. Very good chance to be visited by a griz and to go home with a giant moose. You still have to do lots of walking but you are in a wildlife wonderland. I wont say where to launch a boat. Easy to figure that one out for yourself.

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Good on you Stoneslinger, I have been fortunate enough to be in contact with "Deaddog" this year. He has been absolutely awesome in helping me to plan my first ever Sheep hunt this year in around the Moose lake area you mentioned. Only a few sleeps left....... can't hardly wait.
Thanks to all you die hard sheep hunters for being so helpful, I just wish everyone was so nice. Hope I get the opportunity to help one of you guys out one day.

Back in the 80's one of the local natives used to take hunters to the far end of Moose Lake by boat.

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Now, now don't be stingy with the info or protective of a person making a living off of the wildlife resources of this province. He will always have customers regardless. Hunters are strange. They like to flock to areas where bruisers are already dead. A very priviliged business for sure.

Lots and lots of fine resident sheep hunters have intimate knowledge of the Muskwa sheep hunting spots. :-D Lots of us have been running that river and hunting those places. Your spot was a good spot for you. Lots of those up that way for people that care to make the time, take the trip and burn the fuel.

Another option is to contact Kevin Willis with Riverjet Adventures..exellent jet boats for the Muskwa and Tuchodi and ???He is very river safe and knowlegable and can get you up the river and into the sheep areas..he is a "transporter" but is in these mountains daily for 4-5 months a year..

reliable, trustworthy honest gentleman...certainly cant go wrong back in his neck of the woods..

cheers
Steven

i will add a couple more locations..with some lakes GPS'D out..

The ONLY stone sheep location I cant or will not give out is where I shot my 2009 ram..its how kevin makes his living ...and I am sure he is taking other hunters and dropping them off in the general location..as well as even better areas..

great idea,

Steven

Rodd
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Yedhe Creek, Tensi Creek, Magnum Mine all easily located and within range of the Highway are full of trophy Rams. My first trip up(NEVER HAVING BEEN UP THERE BEFORE) I did as much research as possible before hand, and the above locations were my choice, and planned accordingly, only once I got up there, I decided before heading out for 10 days, I was going to glass what I could see from the highway. I never have actually been back into the areas mentioned above as I had planned. I have been up there twice, and been fortunate enough to kill 4 Rams(partner and I). All the Rams were seen and stalked from the highway.... Just my two cents worth... Don't overlook any of those hills!!!! Cuz ya never know when the Big ones will show themselves... Talked to several Resident Hunters that had been up there hunting for a couple of weeks with no success, and they said they only seen non-legal rams?? Within an hour of talking to them I spotted a band of 13 Rams of which 7 were for sure legal?? Stalked and killed 2.... So GLASS GLASS GLASS!! and they all arn't necessarily in the alpine..... Good Luck to All Residents!

srupp
08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Tim and I went in the Magnum mine rd..seen sheep everyday...and a bull elk that just didnt fulfill the legal requirements..
Sheep were just accross the creek ,,, a couple rams came right down to the lake..

I updated my first post to include GPS location of our camp spot...true we didnt shoot a stone but seen sheep daily and did shoot 2 fine caribou one that was around 400..believe it was 397 and change...

Steven

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Big, old rams love the timber and the steep ugly spots where most folks fail to look.

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Horses required:

Go to the old York camp on Gathto Cr: 58deg 05' 32" x 123deg 46' 19" and hike north up the small valley just to the west of camp, go over a small pass and drop down into Beckman Cr (about 6 or 7 miles). Cross Beckman Creek and ride up to the three little foothills (about 2 miles) on the east side of the trail. Hunt both sides of this valley.

Go up Gathto Cr. past the Big Nine headquarters to the old abandoned WWII airstrip at approx 58deg 00' 40" x 124deg 20' 34", go halfway down the airstrip and pick up a horse trail that takes one over the ridge (steep and slippery when wet) to the north and down into Stern Creek (north fork of Gathto), proceed up Stern Cr to approx 57deg 59' 49" x 124deg 26' 22" and hunt both forks of the valley that runs in from the north at that location (good trail).

Resident hunters are not utilizing their sheep allocation. If they did it would not hurt the sheep populations if the AAH is sustainable, if not it might scare MOE into revising their AAH more to realistic levels which would result in revised non-resident quotas.

That Beckman area that is accessed from the old Yorke camp on the Gathto used to be one of the greatest places to shoot a ram. Not uncommon to see 50 or more rams during a trip. Sadly, the area has been pounded hard over the years by 2 different transporters (can you say packed in like sardines), outfitter, coyotes, and wolves. Water is scarce if you venture away from Beckman creek in either direction.

08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
That Beckman area that is accessed from the old Yorke camp on the Gathto used to be one of the greatest places to shoot a ram. Not uncommon to see 50 or more rams during a trip. Sadly, the area has been pounded hard over the years by 2 different transporters (can you say packed in like sardines), outfitter, coyotes, and wolves. Water is scarce if you venture away from Beckman creek in either direction.

That's a shame, shot a nice ram there in 1993. Guess my info is badly outdated.

Mountain Man
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
I gotta give props on this thread !!! We all need to appreciate others opinions and think back sometimes to remember that most of our favorite hunting spots for any species where from word of mouth. Sheep hunters are more zipper lipped then any other!! But fact is Goats and Sheep are tough to hunt and that weeds out the week and road hunters. I can hunt elk for not much more then the price of a tag. With sheep its flights,gas,river boats, horses, ect. It can be pricey just to pursue sheep when you live in the lower portion of the province. Truth is the more spots a guy knows about the more likely it will spread people out if there is options. If we all hunt the popular main arteries we continue to frustrate ourselves. Thanks again !!

bridger
08-23-2010, 03:30 PM
makes sense!!

Deadshot
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Agreed, it makes sense.
Region 6 still seems to be in the dark regarding info.
All the info is great, but it's still sending hunters into heavily pressured areas.

pro 111
08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Someone Ban this guy, totally uncalled for. People that are going or will go sheep hunting, with or without this thread. So quit your whinning.

I know I don't stand alone on this issue , you are right people will go , and so they should , I was always under the impression that there were a few things you just didn't openly blab about and Stone sheep spots are one of those things. Correct me if I am wrong but this thread can only have a negative affect on our already thinning sheep herds. I am just not willing at this point in my life to have Stones go to LEH. These types of threads like it or not will only speed up this process.

killman
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I know I don't stand alone on this issue , you are right people will go , and so they should , I was always under the impression that there were a few things you just didn't openly blab about and Stone sheep spots are one of those things. Correct me if I am wrong but this thread can only have a negative affect on our already thinning sheep herds. I am just not willing at this point in my life to have Stones go to LEH. These types of threads like it or not will only speed up this process.

I doubt anyone who reads this that doesn't already have a sheep spot, will pick up and go. I for one like the idea but am to lazy to make the trip.

Sheep hunters are high and mighty hunters far above that average joe hunter, correct me if I am wrong. You sound like one of them.:-D

stoneslinger
08-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I am still an active sheep hunter. I enjoy introducing new and experienced sheep hunters to the places I know about.
It would be great if some of the other folks on this board shared some info.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Would it be "out of line" to hire a plane to land me on an outfitters main camp run way?

Those horse trails they have almost always lead to sheep.

Seriously though. Would the operator land me there and would it be a major hassle once the people come to greet the plane? Anyone done this before? Theres a spot I saw on google earth, i want to check it out. I asked someone at Villers air in Fort Nelson about landing near there, and I was told that there was a runway nearby but it had been recently salted, so it was not usable anymore. He said the next closest runway was right at the outfitter camp like 8 km away. I never asked him if he would land there, I just ruled that option out since the other runway was salted.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2010, 05:00 AM

Not everyone who heads up there will shoot a ram, of course....but there are some guys who want to head sheep hunting that don't have a network of friends to get them started and have no idea where to go.
This thread may just help them get started.....and hooked on sheep hunting. We all know how addictive it can be:wink:.

SSS

willy442
08-24-2010, 05:01 AM

To most this is a useless thread as I have not seen a post on an area that is not already a well known spot to all and most are already pressured to the max. No doubt some lucky people will go and get Rams out of these places every year but they are far from good Sheep hunting like they used to be because they are known. The best this thread can do due to pressure in these areas is assist in more dink Rams being taken by rookie sheep hunters.

pro 111
08-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Well said , Willy 442.

stoneslinger
08-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Not everyone who heads up there will shoot a ram, of course....but there are some guys who want to head sheep hunting that don't have a network of friends to get them started and have no idea where to go.
This thread may just help them get started.....and hooked on sheep hunting. We all know how addictive it can be:wink:.

SSS

I am happy that you feel this way about Stone's sheep hunting. It may inspire you to post some info for folks.

kootenayslam
08-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I enjoy HBC but think posts like this are the downfall of the site. Some guys put years into spots and others just couldn't care less about spreading the word, whats wrong with burning some boot leather, learning your sheep country and earning a Ram, i thought that was always the fun in finally connecting. None of these are my spots and none may even be any good it's the principle i don't like. my 2C.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2010, 08:09 AM
I am happy that you feel this way about Stone's sheep hunting. It may inspire you to post some info for folks.

I'm not the brains of our organization so I'll have to leave that up to my partner in crime.

SSS

bridger
08-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I have mixed feelings about this thread. on one hand i am a total advocate of resident sheep hunting, but on the other I am not certain that pinpointing exact locations are in the best interest of the resource. It took my partner and me years to learn the how to"s and where to's of sheep hunting and although I am in total support of increased resident sheep hunting opportunities I am not certain that giving up our favorite sheep mtns to the general public is in the sheeps or the sheep hunters best interest over the long run. There are other although more difficult ways for beginning sheep hunters to find a good ram spot. Just a few thoughts from an old sheep hunter.

burger
08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
To most this is a useless thread as I have not seen a post on an area that is not already a well known spot to all and most are already pressured to the max. No doubt some lucky people will go and get Rams out of these places every year but they are far from good Sheep hunting like they used to be because they are known. The best this thread can do due to pressure in these areas is assist in more dink Rams being taken by rookie sheep hunters.

Then post some not so well known!!:wink:

budismyhorse
08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'd start looking at the fringe hunts for the majority of those off highway places. If you are inclined to hunt off the highway, I know of two seperate groups that went out this opener and let pressure from "the obvious places" create rams for them. Both crews had lots of success. One killed a nice 38 inch 10 yr old ram and the other passed everything up (and some nices ones apparently).

StoneChaser
08-24-2010, 08:37 AM
I enjoy HBC but think posts like this are the downfall of the site. Some guys put years into spots and others just couldn't care less about spreading the word, whats wrong with burning some boot leather, learning your sheep country and earning a Ram, i thought that was always the fun in finally connecting. None of these are my spots and none may even be any good it's the principle i don't like. my 2C.

x2

I have never killed a ram in the same spot, and enjoy chasing rams as much for the dead ends as the success.

Took me until my 4th hunt to connect on a ram (hell, I never even saw a ram until my 3rd trip), and it made the 100's of hours of homework and countless KM's hiked that much sweeter.

It will be a cold day before I post a spot on an internet forum.

However, if any sheep hunter that has tried and not connected wants an X to a spot that I killed a great ram, PM me and we'll meet up.

NO better way to ruin a population of sheep (or a sheep hunting experience) than fill it up with skyline hiking dink killers!

budismyhorse
08-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I have mixed feelings about this thread. on one hand i am a total advocate of resident sheep hunting, but on the other I am not certain that pinpointing exact locations are in the best interest of the resource. It took my partner and me years to learn the how to"s and where to's of sheep hunting and although I am in total support of increased resident sheep hunting opportunities I am not certain that giving up our favorite sheep mtns to the general public is in the sheeps or the sheep hunters best interest over the long run. There are other although more difficult ways for beginning sheep hunters to find a good ram spot. Just a few thoughts from an old sheep hunter.

I know what you mean.......however, I think this thread is supposed to be a starting point, no "x's" from what I've seen.

Look what happened in the Tat this year for the opener. A cloud of hunters and almost no sheep taken. From friends that were up there it was a nightmare. A bunch of free, easy information and they all run up to shoot at all the rams running around on every mountain..........reality is, you still have to get up there, learn the area and work your guts out (usually). Not exactly what beginner sheep hunters understand when they hit those types of spots.

I promise you, not many will return to those areas with all the "free, easy info" unless they are willing to go one or two steps further....and even more will head somewhere else once they see get a taste for what being in sheep country with no one around feels like.

skibum
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Keep the rookie sheep hunters out god damnit :???:

Buck
08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I know what you mean.......however, I think this thread is supposed to be a starting point, no "x's" from what I've seen.

Look what happened in the Tat this year for the opener. A cloud of hunters and almost no sheep taken. From friends that were up there it was a nightmare. A bunch of free, easy information and they all run up to shoot at all the rams running around on every mountain..........reality is, you still have to get up there, learn the area and work your guts out (usually). Not exactly what beginner sheep hunters understand when they hit those types of spots.

I think this is a great way to get young people interested in sheep hunting.Soon enough the( not meant to be sheep hunters) will be weeded out.
As far as the skyline hunting dink shooters are concerned. I have seen on this site some rams taken by guys with several sheep under there belt that should have been left on the mountain.
Educating newbs on aging sheep will go along way on people being selective.

KB90
08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
NO better way to ruin a population of sheep (or a sheep hunting experience) than fill it up with skyline hiking dink killers!

What makes you more entitled to areas, the fact that you have experience? Where do we (as new sheep hunters) get to learn? Who showed/told you where to go the first time?

Can I ask, how were you introduced to sheep hunting?

bigwhiteys
08-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Where do we get to learn then?
Kyle you will learn a LOT on your first hunt, and you just keep on learning from there. After your first hike up a long drainage you will start to realize why these spots are so secret... :)

Carl

KB90
08-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Kyle you will learn a LOT on your first hunt, and you just keep on learning from there. After your first hike up a long drainage you will start to realize why these spots are so secret... :)

Carl

That's why I am so appreciative of the help you have given me! nobody else was willing to help. If it weren't for you, with your gear list and help I would not be going for my first hunt at the end of this week.

It just seems that so many sheep hunters are reluctant to help, at all.

StoneChaser
08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
What makes you more entitled to areas, the fact that you have experience? Where do we (as new sheep hunters) get to learn? Who showed/told you where to go the first time?

Can I ask, how were you introduced to sheep hunting?

Wow....talk about sensitive!

I went into generic areas (like the ones posted so far) with everybody else and learned the ropes...sheep behaviour, ram country (summer vs winter) and learned as I went along how to read a map at my kitchen table to cut down on the ground I had to cover (ie likley looking basins).

What some obviously fail to realize here is that sheep hunting isn't about killing a ram, it is about hunting sheep in the mountains, the dead ends, the highs and lows of busting your hump for 10 days and returning home with a fistful of scenery shots and lifetime of memories, and no ram.

Sheep hunters on here know what I'm talking about (read BCR and SSS's thread, that is sheep hunting).

Filling a basin with a bunch of hunters looking for an easy ram (be them rookie or not) will not benefit the sheep or the hunters, as the allure of Stone's country is the lack of human presence.

There are no secret sheep areas left, if rams exist, others know about them.

I'm no more entitled to the areas I hunt than few others that hunt them, but won't advertise this (and I keep hunting new areas to avoid crowds, as nothing stays quiet for long these days).

My offer stands....put in an honest effort and I'll sit down and throw an X on some ram filled basins over a coffee.

Ask for free info on the net to cut corners and you'll get exactly what you pay for!

KB90
08-24-2010, 10:33 AM

I went into generic areas (like the ones posted so far) with everybody else and learned the ropes...sheep behaviour, ram country (summer vs winter) and learned as I went along how to read a map at my kitchen table to cut down on the ground I had to cover (ie likley looking basins).

What some obviously fail to realize here is that sheep hunting isn't about killing a ram, it is about hunting sheep in the mountains, the dead ends, the highs and lows of busting your hump for 10 days and returning home with a fistful of scenery shots and lifetime of memories, and no ram.

Sheep hunters on here know what I'm talking about (read BCR and SSS's thread, that is sheep hunting).

Filling a basin with a bunch of hunters looking for an easy ram (be them rookie or not) will not benefit the sheep or the hunters, as the allure of Stone's country is the lack of human presence.

I'm no more entitled to the areas I hunt than few others that hunt them, but won't advertise this (and I keep hunting new areas to avoid crowds, as nothing stays quiet for long these days).

My offer stands....put in an honest effort and I'll sit down and throw an X on some ram filled basins over a coffee.

Ask for free info on the net to cut corners and you'll get exactly what you pay for!

Not sensitive, it was just a question. And I get exactly what you mean.

But what I was curious is how were you introduced to these "generic spots" Having never been up north I had no idea what I was even looking for. I had made posts and and asked people and very few people were willing to help. With no friends who hunt, or family who sheep hunt, where am I supposed to look for help? I read books, went to the WSS convention, bought the gear, exercised and that still did not leave me with any idea on "Where to go."

I am going to go on friday into one of these "generic spots", I don't plan on killing a sheep, as a matter of fact I have never even seen a stone sheep, so seeing one will make my trip. I want to do exactly as you have said go learn, hike hard, and make memories. I am only 20 years old and I can guarantee you this will be the first of many many trips. And hopefully in a couple years I will have learned enough to sit down and look at a map and choose an area myself.

I don't want a hand out, I wanted information like I received, a general area to go out and give it a try, and isn't this all this thread has done?

bridger
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
finding a place to go sheep hunting for new sheep hunters is tough unless you live in a part of the province that has sheep. Even tho I live in Fort St. John it took a few years to learn the sheep hunting ropes. New or inexperienced sheep hunters would so well to get a map of 7b that shows the boundaries of the various outfitting areas. As someone said earlier on this thread hunt where the outfitters do and you will find sheep. That is true. The bulk of the resident stone sheep harvest comes from the rocky mtn trench, the Toad River Drainage, and the stone mtn racing river areas. Access into the trench is usually by float plane as there are several lakes to land on. Access into the other areas is easily obtained on foot from the alaska highway. the highest concentration of stone's in 7b is found in the trench around scoop lake. As a rule of thumb most outfitters take most of their sheep hunts in the first two weeks of august before the antlered game seasons open on the 15th. most residents hunt that time as well so things can be a little crowded so you might want to consider going later. in any event get the map study it well, decide on a place and see if you can talk to someone that has been there. then pack up an go hunting and don't be discouraged if you don't get a ram on your first hunt; most of us don't. When you do find a good spot it will be interesting to see how ready you are to share it. good hunting.

SHAKER
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
finding a place to go sheep hunting for new sheep hunters is tough unless you live in a part of the province that has sheep. Even tho I live in Fort St. John it took a few years to learn the sheep hunting ropes. New or inexperienced sheep hunters would so well to get a map of 7b that shows the boundaries of the various outfitting areas. As someone said earlier on this thread hunt where the outfitters do and you will find sheep. That is true. The bulk of the resident stone sheep harvest comes from the rocky mtn trench, the Toad River Drainage, and the stone mtn racing river areas. Access into the trench is usually by float plane as there are several lakes to land on. Access into the other areas is easily obtained on foot from the alaska highway. the highest concentration of stone's in 7b is found in the trench around scoop lake. As a rule of thumb most outfitters take most of their sheep hunts in the first two weeks of august before the antlered game seasons open on the 15th. most residents hunt that time as well so things can be a little crowded so you might want to consider going later. in any event get the map study it well, decide on a place and see if you can talk to someone that has been there. then pack up an go hunting and don't be discouraged if you don't get a ram on your first hunt; most of us don't. When you do find a good spot it will be interesting to see how ready you are to share it. good hunting.

Well said........ Pointing a direction is one thing, burning the boot leather is another. Sure is nice to know that your not wasteing your time in an area after putting the time and effort in to get there. Sheep hunting is not easy for some of us younger guys to justify. They don't fill the freezer and the taxidermy bills suck! I can point to a mountain out my front door with sheep on it but if you don't know where to look you'll probably end up like 90% of the guys that go up and see nothing! As some know I'll give you some info on my country but X's on the map don't happen but I will often give you enough info to get you started in the right direction.

08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
...My offer stands....put in an honest effort and I'll sit down and throw an X on some ram filled basins over a coffee.

StoneChaser, how do you like your coffee?:-D

You did mention reading topo maps for likely looking basins, do you care to educate us stone sheep greenhorns on what you look for?

By the way congratulations on your ram!

branthunter
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Horses required:

Now there's an easy stroll.

BCrams
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I am a strong advocate of doing more to inspire would be sheep hunters to go sheep hunting, what they need to do, what they need to consider, what they need to pack etc ... but like many others have stated. I won't be putting down X's or exact locations where to go.

I take a lot of pride doing research and just hitting the mountains to get to know an area through hunting. I know lots of places to go sheep hunting and many places where I know there's a high rate of success but I avoid going to those places because I prefer success on my own merrits versus where all the people go.

Over time and when you get more sheep hunting experience and meet people with equivalent experience, you will find information being shared more readily.

Deaddog
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I won't publish over the internet the x's and o's of each spot either, that said I am more than willing to help people who are serious out...... as are most of the guys on this site. Sheep hunting is a time investment, you truly do have to get out and wear some rubber of your boots to find the sheep. Bigwhitey's SSS, BC Rams and numerous others help out individual people on quiet and regular basis..I believe this is what will help to continue our hunting tradition, that said, it is good to make the new guys "work" a little for the info!!LOL to all the new guys out there this year.. Good luck, DD

Skull Hunter
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I am in a similar situation to KB90. I am young (28 and fairly new to hunting. I have found it difficult to find hunting partners, and gather info, but I am eager to learn and try new things. With that said I have done my best to get out and try new spots and new techniques. This site has been truly helpful in that as well. I don't expect anyone to share their honey hole, certainly not on the internet, but any help, in any form is certainly appreciated.

With that said I am interested in possibly planning my first Stones trip for next season. I've read a few books, and looked over a few maps but I still feel pretty lost because I don't know what I'm looking for so I was excited when I saw this thread. Personally I'd like to know what land features to look for on maps that might indicate sheep and what kind of spots to stay away from.

Kody94
08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I am a strong advocate of doing more to inspire would be sheep hunters to go sheep hunting, what they need to do, what they need to consider, what they need to pack etc ... but like many others have stated. I won't be putting down X's or exact locations where to go.

I take a lot of pride doing research and just hitting the mountains to get to know an area through hunting. I know lots of places to go sheep hunting and many places where I know there's a high rate of success but I avoid going to those places because I prefer success on my own merrits versus where all the people go.

Over time and when you get more sheep hunting experience and meet people with equivalent experience, you will find information being shared more readily.

I won't publish over the internet the x's and o's of each spot either, that said I am more than willing to help people who are serious out...... as are most of the guys on this site. Sheep hunting is a time investment, you truly do have to get out and wear some rubber of your boots to find the sheep. Bigwhitey's SSS, BC Rams and numerous others help out individual people on quiet and regular basis..I believe this is what will help to continue our hunting tradition, that said, it is good to make the new guys "work" a little for the info!!LOL to all the new guys out there this year.. Good luck, DD

Ditto what these guys said.

Too many people want something for nothing, and aren't prepared to work to achieve goals. I am not about to cater to that.

Like the old saw about teaching a man to fish....I'd much rather help a guy get started by showing him how to research and how/what to pack and what to look for, etc, then just hand over a map with an X.

Its a lot easier to be generous with folks that do their homework, go out and get blistered up, and rained on for days, etc, etc, and still need more help. And "comparing notes" can be mutually beneficial, instead of entirely one-way.

SHAKER
08-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I think this is getting a little off topic with the x's and o's........
Some other areas' to look at is south of Fart Nelson too... Nevis creek, Sikani Chief and have heard of rams come'n out of the Halfway river area too.

willy442
08-24-2010, 04:19 PM

You did mention reading topo maps for likely looking basins, do you care to educate us stone sheep greenhorns on what you look for?

To really be successful at sheep hunting you have to study sheep enough, you are able to think like one. Rams will be in different places depending on the following, time of year, weather, human pressure, nutritional value of feed, predators and others.

The common factors of where you may find Rams are; Along faults in the mountains ( by this I'm talking about places that have steep preferably black shale cliffs on one face and nice grassy fingers on the other). They also require water and many of these types of areas have summer run of in high places or small lakes in the basins that can be easily accessed when needed. When pressured sheep will nearly always go out of a piece of country exactly in the same track they made coming in. This won't hold true if you are standing in those tracks. Very often in the last few years they are moving down into timber on occassion, so glass, glass, glass every where. Stay off sky line and off sheep trails, sheep can see far and will move from sky lined rookies for a couple of ridges.
Sheep once spotted and left alone if comfortable will do the same thing day after day. ie Rams that were laying in a patch of cliffs will come out and go to the same feed they were on earlier. Many times I have taken Rams out of hard places by waiting them out and letting them come to me, while I sit between them and thier feed. One mistake made by many new hunters is to force a stock, often by trying to come from below. To sheep all danger comes from below, so put odds in your favor come in from above or wait until you can put all odds in favor before stalking, after all it takes alot more work to find a good ram then it actually does to kill one. Don't screw up a stalk by taking a chance on spooking the sheep. If you do I can guarantee the sheep will win away more often than not.

Hope this helps a few rookies take MATURE RAMS

Krico
08-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Rams that were laying in a patch of cliffs will come out and go to the same feed they were on earlier. Many times I have taken Rams out of hard places by waiting them out and letting them come to me, while I sit between them and thier feed.

Had I done this on my first attempt, there would be an extra set of horns on my wall. Oh well, it was one of those learning experiences...

Lots of good advice for new guys on this thread.

If I hadn't had the initial help of someone with some sheep knowledge I wouldn't have known where to start...ended up taking my first and only stone on a hunt with the same guy who gave me some intel on that first try...$hitty thing is he still doesn't have a stone, just the way things worked out. I'm hoping to get him back out there so I can return the favor some day.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Carl

And then you realize that none of these secret spots are secret.

If I am not running into outfitters, im running into more residents. The GO...whatever, get outa my way with your pack string. But to the other residents... I gotta tip my hat and say good work, their feet have to be as smashed as mine. I have not been on one sheep hunt yet where I havent had others pressuring the area, GO's or residents or both. And I hunt sheep quite a bit, living in Fort Nelson its NP to get away for 4 day hunts a few times each season.

I'm not going to tell anyone where I have found a big ram if I want to go back there, but I have no problem sending a new sheep hunter in the right direction.

StoneChaser
08-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Thanks...

While I hate rules and categorizing things, here are is some general ram behaviour I've noticed to be very consistant year to year, east to west over the past 11 years of sheep hunting:

I typically look for hanging valleys/basins that are just on the verge of goat country....rams like grass, but require craggy, broken ground for bedding areas.

If it's too grassy and gentle, you're likely in the winter range.

I've seen rams hole up for a few days like a goat in the rocks (w/very small patches of grass nearby to feed on) before finally dropping down to the easy pickings for a quick meal.

They may be near/on a plateau, but you can bet they'll have cliffs very close for an escape route.

Easy advice once you're in the hills.....if you're seeing goats, you're close to ram country (rams typically like the transition ground between the gentle slopes and goat cliffs).

If you're seeing lambs and ewes....look a little higher/nastier (rams will frequent the same areas BTW (although they often get up and move when the ladies and children arrive)- can you blame them :mrgreen:.

Other factors I consider:

Early August, the Rams love snowpack (ESPECIALLY in the hot weather) those small residual slivers in the folds that don't melt often. I've seen rams bed on them frequently, visit them often, and even slide down them occasionaly (seemingly for kicks). Furthermore, Ray Charles could have spotted dark rams on white snow....what's not to like!

They also like to bed deep in the shadows of creek beds/crags in the steef stuff to keep cool and clear of the bugs....this makes them hard (impossible) to spot bedded, so be patient (don't go pounding down a large valley below likely bedding areas without hanging around for at least 1 feeding time...SLOW DOWN AND GLASS)!!!!

If the bugs are nasty....look way, way up.....not uncommon to see them right in the cliffs in the breeze, right on a mountain top at times (I've even seen them get up and make a run for it to bed down again, irritated by the bugs).

WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!

Rams are best spotted early, especially in the heat of August....no better time to spot a ram than while he feeds at first light before it heats up for the day....mirage is at an all time low now as well, and smoke has usually not drifted into the valleys yet (remember those white @sses are a dead givaway).

Typically rams feed early (I usually get up by 4:00 AM on August hunts), and then head to nearby broken ground by early morning (quite often before lazy sheep hunters even wake up) often up midday for a quick feed, and then back to the feed by early evening....most often they'll be bedding down well before the sun sets.

Put them to bed undisturbed, and likely they'll be there at first light.

I've found that in the mid-late part of Sept and into October, the rams will feed more througout the day and wander a little more in search of the good stuff.

When it's hot, I hunt bedding areas on the shady sides of the cliffs (North West), and when it's windy or pissing rain, hunt the nooks and crannies where they can get shelter (hunt high and look down in the folds).

Above all else, and this takes YEARS to figure out (even after we're told time and time again), especially as a young, fit, keen hunter..........PATIENCE!!!!!!

Undboutedly we've all burned past rams after an hour or two glassing session in a seemingly empty basin.

Sit for a few extra hours however, and that basin can/will often come alive.....GLASS, GLASS, GLASS, and then GLASS some more!

A band of rams typcially won't sit in one spot all day, and while they may bed all day, there are always rams getting up for a quick piss, stretch, and nibble of nearby vegetation (often you'll not even see it in the rocks from your vantage point, that is how sparse of vegetation they can live on).

Spot that flicker of movement, and likely you'll be amazed to see that cliff dotted with rams, right under your already straining eyes (you'll be blown away by how they can blend in when bedded).

Look for sheep trails and watch them, look for fresh beds (nests as I like to call them) where the rams have pawed themselves a little perch....fresh sheep $hit is a good thing too:wink:.

Anyhow, this is very general info, and as always - plenty of exceptions to the rules.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but these are a few of the things I factor into my day to day plans when sheep hunting......

Hopefully this will help

Good Luck!

Stone Sheep Steve
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM
While I have relatively limited experience compared to many on this forum, rookies please heed the advice of Willy and Stonechaser. I think we witnessed pretty much everything they have offered in our recent 14 day hunt(aside from later season advice). Novices would be wise to print off their advice.

SSS

ianwuzhere
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
great thread- for us new and old sheep hunters to be able to chat and learn more gets us more eager to go out and set up a hunt..
Thanx for the thread and any info, and even some pix of the landscape or sheep would fire up some wannabe and advid sheep hunters!! only place ive sheep hunted was 3-17-last year..

killman
08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
So all you super Sheep hunters just straped on your fancy boots and just headed to a mountian that you figured you would find sheep. No one helped you out at all. I doubt it!:wink:

Coming_out_heavy.
08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks...

While I hate rules and categorizing things, here are is some general ram behaviour I've noticed to be very consistant year to year, east to west over the past 11 years of sheep hunting:

I typically look for hanging valleys/basins that are just on the verge of goat country....rams like grass, but require craggy, broken ground for bedding areas.

I've seen rams hole up for a few days like a goat in the rocks (w/very small patches of grass nearby to feed on) before finally dropping down to the easy pickings for a quick meal.

They may be near/on a plateau, but you can bet they'll have cliffs very close for an escape route.

Easy advice once you're in the hills.....if you're seeing goats, you're close to ram country (rams typically like the transition ground between the gentle slopes and goat cliffs).

If you're seeing lambs and ewes....look a little higher/nastier (rams will frequent the same areas BTW (although they often get up and move when the ladies and children arrive)- can you blame them :mrgreen:.

Early August, the Rams love snowpack (ESPECIALLY in the hot weather) those small residual slivers in the folds that don't melt often. I've seen rams bed on them frequently, visit them often, and even slide down them occasionaly (seemingly for kicks). Furthermore, Ray Charles could have spotted dark rams on white snow....what's not to like!

They also like to bed deep in the shadows of creek beds/crags in the steef stuff to keep cool and clear of the bugs....this makes them hard (impossible) to spot bedded, so be patient (don't go pounding down a large valley below likely bedding areas without hanging around for at least 1 feeding time...SLOW DOWN AND GLASS)!!!!

If the bugs are nasty....look way, way up.....not uncommon to see them right in the cliffs in the breeze, right on a mountain top at times (I've even seen them get up and make a run for it to bed down again, irritated by the bugs).

WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!

Rams are best spotted early, especially in the heat of August....no better time to spot a ram than while he feeds at first light before it heats up for the day....mirage is at an all time low now as well, and smoke has usually not drifted into the valleys yet (remember those white @sses are a dead givaway).

Typically rams feed early (I usually get up by 4:00 AM on August hunts), and then head to nearby broken ground by early morning (quite often before lazy sheep hunters even wake up) often up midday for a quick feed, and then back to the feed by early evening....most often they'll be bedding down well before the sun sets.

I've found that in the mid-late part of Sept and into October, the rams will feed more througout the day and wander a little more in search of the good stuff.

When it's hot, I hunt bedding areas on the shady sides of the cliffs (North West), and when it's windy or pissing rain, hunt the nooks and crannies where they can get shelter (hunt high and look down in the folds).

Above all else, and this takes YEARS to figure out (even after we're told time and time again), especially as a young, fit, keen hunter..........PATIENCE!!!!!!

Undboutedly we've all burned past rams after an hour or two glassing session in a seemingly empty basin.

Sit for a few extra hours however, and that basin can/will often come alive.....GLASS, GLASS, GLASS, and then GLASS some more!

A band of rams typcially won't sit in one spot all day, and while they may bed all day, there are always rams getting up for a quick piss, stretch, and nibble of nearby vegetation (often you'll not even see it in the rocks from your vantage point, that is how sparse of vegetation they can live on).

Spot that flicker of movement, and likely you'll be amazed to see that cliff dotted with rams, right under your already straining eyes (you'll be blown away by how they can blend in when bedded).

Look for sheep trails and watch them, look for fresh beds (nests as I like to call them) where the rams have pawed themselves a little perch....fresh sheep $hit is a good thing too:wink:.

Anyhow, this is very general info, and as always - plenty of exceptions to the rules.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but these are a few of the things I factor into my day to day plans when sheep hunting......

Hopefully this will help

Good Luck!

Solid info.

pearljam
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Awesome info guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has taken me years of research to figure out the info you guys just gave. Awesome to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!

livingston
08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
One mistake made by many new hunters is to force a stock, often by trying to come from below. To sheep all danger comes from below, so put odds in your favor come in from above or wait until you can put all odds in favor before stalking, after all it takes alot more work to find a good ram then it actually does to kill one. Don't screw up a stalk by taking a chance on spooking the sheep. If you do I can guarantee the sheep will win away more often than not.

This piece of information sure hits home when your ram hits skyline gives you a great look at him then turns tail and disappears into the mountains:(

bigwhiteys
08-24-2010, 07:41 PM
This piece of information sure hits home when your ram hits skyline gives you a great look at him then turns tail and disappears into the mountains:sad:

He knew you and I would read that.... lol.... That ram would have been tough to get from above without getting busted in the shale... F^*K Willy, if we'd made it the last 100 yards that ram would have been dead :mrgreen:... In retrospect, waiting him out for a better stalk might have been a good idea, the plane was definitely an unexpected variable.

Carl

BCrams
08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
He knew you and I would read that.... lol.... That ram would have been tough to get from above without getting busted in the shale... F^*K Willy, if we'd made it the last 100 yards that ram would have been dead :mrgreen:... In retrospect, waiting him out for a better stalk might have been a good idea, the plane was definitely an unexpected variable.

Carl

I know what it feels like. I recall telling a tale about Drinkall's plane a few years back screwing things up on a hunt.

bigwhiteys
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I know what it feels like. I recall telling a tale about Drinkall's plane a few years back screwing things up on a hunt.

We can't blame it all on the plane... He offered a nice finishing touch though.

Carl

BCrams
08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
We can't blame it all on the plane... He offered a nice finishing touch though.

Carl

How did the finishing touch happen? A fly by?

killman
08-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Excuse me people can we get back to the secret sheep spots!!!:mrgreen:

willy442
08-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks...

WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!

Hopefully this will help

Good Luck!

Stone Chaser: Excellent post a must remember for new sheep hunters and valuable info for the rest. Also congratulations on one heck of a Ram.

bigwhiteys
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
A fly by?
To me a "fly-by" would consist of a flight overtop of ones camp, or adjacent too, so they could see where you are at. I wouldn't have an issue with that. This was definitely not a fly-by.

Carl

willy442
08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
So all you super Sheep hunters just straped on your fancy boots and just headed to a mountian that you figured you would find sheep. No one helped you out at all. I doubt it!:wink:

How about having your ass kicked out of bed at 3 am when you're 12 years old to go gather horses that had been loose all night. Then if you were lucky and had them ALL in before the guides and hunters left, you could go with them, climb your ass off all day, go to bed sore and tired, just so you could do it all over again the next day. This was the routine every July and August until I 16 years old and we had a guide injured while skinning a Moose that had been out all night in October. I was pulled out of school to guide the last sheep hunt( actually on this my first attempt at guiding, I filled 2 grand slams at the same time). Guess I must have proven myself as my guiding career spanned from 1970 to 1993. Oh and when I started guiding wages were 35.00 dollars per day. I got 15.00 for wrangling. You also got to have a broke horse to use and call your own along with a bronc or two that you had to break during the fall. There was no such thing as getting hurt, sleeping in or a day off.
So if you want to learn the way I did Princess toughen up and go guiding.:)

killman
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
How about having your ass kicked out of bed at 3 am when you're 12 years old to go gather horses that had been loose all night. Then if you were lucky and had them ALL in before the guides and hunters left, you could go with them, climb your ass off all day, go to bed sore and tired, just so you could do it all over again the next day. This was the routine every July and August until I 16 years old and we had a guide injured while skinning a Moose that had been out all night in October. I was pulled out of school to guide the last sheep hunt( actually on this my first attempt at guiding, I filled 2 grand slams at the same time). Guess I must have proven myself as my guiding career spanned from 1970 to 1993. Oh and when I started guiding wages were 35.00 dollars per day. I got 15.00 for wrangling. You also got to have a broke horse to use and call your own along with a bronc or two that you had to break during the fall. There was no such thing as getting hurt, sleeping in or a day off.

Princess?? Whatever. So you where lucky enough to be born into the livestyle. I guess that would make you my ****in sheep hunting hero.:mrgreen:

moosinaround
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Princess?? Whatever. So you where lucky enough to be born into the livestyle. I guess that would make you my ****in sheep hunting hero.:mrgreen:
Princess??!!!! Holy Killman you gonna take that??? I think a fight outside the Husky is in order!!!:wink:

willy442
08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
F^*K Willy, if we'd made it the last 100 yards that ram would have been dead :mrgreen:

If we had patience, If we had patience, If we had patience. That ram may have been dead. lol:)

killman
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Princess??!!!! Holy Killman you gonna take that??? I think a fight outside the Husky is in order!!!:wink:

Are you kidding Willy was a "wrangler". You don't mess with wranglers I may just be a "princess" to some of them.:-P:-P

willy442
08-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Just stirring you up with the princess thing. Yes you are right I was lucky enough to be involved in hunting sheep through what was most likely the best years there ever was or will be. I totally enjoyed every minute of it and would do it all over again if given the chance in the same era. To do it today would be alot different. The country would still be enjoyable, I don't know about the clients and there are no where near as many sheep.

blackbart
08-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Some fantastic information contained within this thread. Good on the experienced guys for sharing strategy as opposed to location. Take the strategy information to heart - it will work where ever mountain game is found, not just Stone's sheep.

There is lots of info regarding sheep density both on the web and through MOE reports. My advice would be look this info up and start planning a hunt where there is sheep. If you want to see sheep go to a high density area such as those already mentioned. If you want an old ram, probably best to head to the fringe areas and be prepared to do more sight seeing than sheep viewing.

Qoute of the year both for accuracy and not beating around the bush comes from Willy "Princess toughen up" - Pretty much sums it up! Sheep hunting is not meant to be easy, it is memorable though.

Time spent glassing tends to be more productive than time spent moving ie: hiking. Use your brain and not your stamina to get your sheep.

One final piece of advice, particularly for the anti guide crowd: Surf the GO websites and get an idea as to the quaulity of rams and terrain that they are shot in - how many of the real crankers have some trees in the photos??? Does the vegetation look lush like summer or is there indication of fall or even winter? Many of the very best rams do not get killed during August. Same thing seems to bode true for Bighorns.

Enjoy the trip more than the destination.

dana
08-24-2010, 09:11 PM
While I ain't no sheep hunter, I certainly can see how a thread like this one isn't much different than Jelvis' many many threads trying to weed out my monster muley spots. Info like this don't do much good for nobody. The only difference here is when a diehard sheep hunter says so, he's telling the truth. If I dare say anything contrary to Jellystoned Donut, I'm just protecting a honey hole.
There seems to be a trend of the modern internet hunter than they want info to all the monster bucks and monster rams without ever putting in any legwork themselves. While I agree we need to help our fellow hunter to keep alive this sport we so dearly love, I think that info needs to be earned.

pappy
08-24-2010, 09:40 PM
To see how many guys have been reading these posts and to think about how many of them are going to go out and shoot "Your sheep" in "your spot". lots of these fellas are just looking for a good read. I haven't found a reliable hunting partner yet to go for most day hunts let alone go for 4 days or longer. I went for one sheep trip last Aug. and realized I brought too much of what I don't need and the gear I did need was too bulky. I invested in some gear, books and all the online info & videos I can get. Now its time to keep learning so I for one appreciate this thread and all the info, thank you to those of you who will share.

Old & Fat
08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Just replying to someones post about landing on a guide outfitters strip. Through a series of cirmcumstances I was flown in to the Gathto and landed on Barry's tompkins strip. As it is his private land he kicked us off right quick and we had to take off and land over on Kluachesi. If you are not a paying customer there is no chance you can hunt out of his area. The strip to the north of his lodge is rumoured to be out of commission. Lots of wild west stories have come out of that area.

Its very interesting hearing all the reaction to the sudden flow of info. I can tell you with certainty that there are some spots left that very very few people get to. Thinair and skyline know exactly what I am talking about, and it would take more than hunting altruism to pry that gem away. i guess it does no harm to point in a general direction though. Another thing, is not part of the fun of sheep hunting concealing your spot and trying to figure out someone elses? The dock at muncho lake during hunting season is a GREAT place to try your hand at sleuthing out where the sheep come from. Good luck everyone, and finally I say there is significant evidence that sheep in fact CAN fly.

08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Willy and Stonechaser,

Thank you for the education.

dutchie
08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
How about having your ass kicked out of bed at 3 am when you're 12 years old to go gather horses that had been loose all night. Then if you were lucky and had them ALL in before the guides and hunters left, you could go with them, climb your ass off all day, go to bed sore and tired, just so you could do it all over again the next day.
So if you want to learn the way I did Princess toughen up and go guiding.

Ok... Seriously I do want to become a guide. I have gone the route of trying to become the camp bitch as a wrangler to work my way up, I have tryed to get into guideing by working for free...

What is the secret to becoming the Guide? I want to REALLY bad, but where, how, who?

I will give up my "princess" status to become a guide ... I would just like to know were to start... any hints?

Dutchie

KB90
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

This is exactly what I mean though. You were born into it. And that is why you have the knowledge and skills you do. I could only dream of being born into a hunting guide family, being a guide would be a amazing. I bet 8 of 10 sheep hunters are born into it.

So yeah this thread is jelvis like, pretty general, but it gives the other 2 of 10 a chance to start somewhere.

Just ask yourself where you would be if you didn't have the family who introduced you into sheep hunting?

Times are different now, and it may be a little too easy to ask for help with this site, but it is what it is. I definitely don't want a free handout and what carl has done to help is more than generous. I can't wait to start my sheep hunting career :)

mark
08-24-2010, 10:37 PM
This is exactly what I mean though. You were born into it. And that is why you have the knowledge and skills you do. I could only dream of being born into a hunting guide family, being a guide would be a amazing. I bet 8 of 10 sheep hunters are born into it.

So yeah this thread is jelvis like, pretty general, but it gives the other 2 of 10 a chance to start somewhere.

Just ask yourself where you would be if you didn't have the family who introduced you into sheep hunting?

Times are different now, and it may be a little too easy to ask for help with this site, but it is what it is. I definitely don't want a free handout and what carl has done to help is more than generous. I can't wait to start my sheep hunting career :)

I agree 100%.
Im a pretty good Moose, elk, bear, and muley hunter! Because that is what I grew up hunting, with dads and older guys etc...
If it wasnt for this website, I wouldnt have the slightest clue about northern sheep hunting!
Something Id surely like to try soon, so I sure do appreciate threads like this, and those that offer help and advise!

pro 111
08-24-2010, 10:55 PM

BCR and SSS had an awesome story , one thing you should have noticed. They never said where they went. They did there homework busted there balls . Got a great sheep. Thats how its done , and as for where they were , thats for everyone else to wonder about.

willy442
08-25-2010, 12:05 AM
BCR and SSS had an awesome story , one thing you should have noticed. They never said where they went. They did there homework busted there balls . Got a great sheep. Thats how its done , and as for where they were , thats for everyone else to wonder about.

Want to start bidding. I know the spot. :-D

willy442
08-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Ok... Seriously I do want to become a guide. I have gone the route of trying to become the camp bitch as a wrangler to work my way up, I have tryed to get into guideing by working for free...

What is the secret to becoming the Guide? I want to REALLY bad, but where, how, who?

I will give up my "princess" status to become a guide ... I would just like to know were to start... any hints?

Dutchie

A good starting point is Collingwoods. Second is put your name in with the GOABC. Be willing to start by doing anything and work your way up.
One of the best sheep guides I ever helped was a young kid from Ontario by the name of Gary Vanhee. He came walking into our ranch looking for a job. Had zero experiance and had no idea what a saddle was. He has now hunted and guided sheep all over North America. It does happen so like sheep hunting never give up. No doubt you find it difficult being from the LM. Guides are probably not to eager to show you thier sheep spots, keep trying and you will succeed.
Try to get on in either the Yukon or NWT to eliminate that problem.

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Ditto what these guys said.

Too many people want something for nothing, and aren't prepared to work to achieve goals. I am not about to cater to that.

Like the old saw about teaching a man to fish....I'd much rather help a guy get started by showing him how to research and how/what to pack and what to look for, etc, then just hand over a map with an X.

Its a lot easier to be generous with folks that do their homework, go out and get blistered up, and rained on for days, etc, etc, and still need more help. And "comparing notes" can be mutually beneficial, instead of entirely one-way.

Not even if they were willing to show you a place to hunt those elusive bighorn rams in the timber away from the flowing water.:-D

willy442
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
You were born into it. And that is why you have the knowledge and skills you do.

Wrong. I was born with the opportunity. 100 plus days a year with sore wet feet, tired legs and eye balls that felt like they had been sucked out of my head at times taught me what I know.

You have yet to face the elements and test yourself as sheep hunter once you do. You will change your mind on my experience or any other successful sheep hunter. Nothing comes easy or for free in the mountains. I must say hunters have better gear now though.

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 12:35 AM
To really be successful at sheep hunting you have to study sheep enough, you are able to think like one. Rams will be in different places depending on the following, time of year, weather, human pressure, nutritional value of feed, predators and others.

The common factors of where you may find Rams are; Along faults in the mountains ( by this I'm talking about places that have steep preferably black shale cliffs on one face and nice grassy fingers on the other). They also require water and many of these types of areas have summer run of in high places or small lakes in the basins that can be easily accessed when needed. When pressured sheep will nearly always go out of a piece of country exactly in the same track they made coming in. This won't hold true if you are standing in those tracks. Very often in the last few years they are moving down into timber on occassion, so glass, glass, glass every where. Stay off sky line and off sheep trails, sheep can see far and will move from sky lined rookies for a couple of ridges.
Sheep once spotted and left alone if comfortable will do the same thing day after day. ie Rams that were laying in a patch of cliffs will come out and go to the same feed they were on earlier. Many times I have taken Rams out of hard places by waiting them out and letting them come to me, while I sit between them and thier feed. One mistake made by many new hunters is to force a stock, often by trying to come from below. To sheep all danger comes from below, so put odds in your favor come in from above or wait until you can put all odds in favor before stalking, after all it takes alot more work to find a good ram then it actually does to kill one. Don't screw up a stalk by taking a chance on spooking the sheep. If you do I can guarantee the sheep will win away more often than not.

Now this is good stuff. Thanks Willy. And yes indeed they do like the timber if it is available. I've seen them cover 500 yards running downhill into the timber in the time it takes to say "WTFWT"?

A bit off topic, but lately I have been stumbling into many a bighorn and lots of tracks while hunting mule deer in the timber. So much so that I will try hunting mule deer a month early this year. Nobody sees these rams. They live in the forest like a cagey old buck. And certainly not in "textbook" sheep country with cliffs, rocks, or steep slopes.

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 12:41 AM

Dutchie

Go talk to the folks in the Muskwa. Just dont dare show up with a pair of mocassins and a 2 lb. bag of weed. lol

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
One more comment. Many folks get information because they work within the ministry or know such persons. Lots of folks have very priviliged access to fancy maps, data, photos, inventories, etc.

It has nothing to do with wearing out boot leather. More like licking boot leather.

bridger
08-25-2010, 06:44 AM
i think you are wrong on this. there may be a few guys that get inside info but i suspect that access is extremely limited. if you live in an area that has sheep and outfitters and assistant guides they are a better source of info. the other great source of info are hunting magazines like the fnaws hunting reports, the grandslam club etc

StoneChaser
08-25-2010, 07:06 AM

I always tell the spot chasers this:

"Finding out where a good ram has been killed is the easy part....finding out where they haven't been killed is the tough part."

I could care less where other sheep hunters kill their rams, and avoid other sheep hunters like the plague....last thing I (or they) want is a footrace on opening day after a 40" ram!

Plenty of country if we spread out.

Wild Images
08-25-2010, 07:16 AM
I always tell the spot chasers this:

"Finding out where a good ram has been killed is the easy part....finding out where they haven't been killed is the tough part."

I could care less where other sheep hunters kill their rams, and avoid other sheep hunters like the plague....last thing I (or they) want is a footrace on opening day after a 40" ram!

Plenty of country if we spread out.

AMEN :mrgreen:

StoneChaser
08-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Stone Chaser: Excellent post a must remember for new sheep hunters and valuable info for the rest. Also congratulations on one heck of a Ram.

Thanks Willy!

Coming_out_heavy.
08-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Just replying to someones post about landing on a guide outfitters strip. Through a series of cirmcumstances I was flown in to the Gathto and landed on Barry's tompkins strip. As it is his private land he kicked us off right quick and we had to take off and land over on Kluachesi. If you are not a paying customer there is no chance you can hunt out of his area. The strip to the north of his lodge is rumoured to be out of commission. Lots of wild west stories have come out of that area.

Its very interesting hearing all the reaction to the sudden flow of info. I can tell you with certainty that there are some spots left that very very few people get to. Thinair and skyline know exactly what I am talking about, and it would take more than hunting altruism to pry that gem away. i guess it does no harm to point in a general direction though. Another thing, is not part of the fun of sheep hunting concealing your spot and trying to figure out someone elses? The dock at muncho lake during hunting season is a GREAT place to try your hand at sleuthing out where the sheep come from. Good luck everyone, and finally I say there is significant evidence that sheep in fact CAN fly.

That dock at Muncho is hilarious. Urs lights up his big board in the restaraunt there. Whenever he flies to a lake, he lights up that lakes light, so after you ask the lieing sheep hunter, go check the board before Urs shuts the light off!

Barry Tompkins!!! God I have half a mind to go hunt that area now! Land right there and click my heals along his horse trails. So many outfitters to piss off and so little time........

Hey if you ever see Barry Tompkins again, ask him if he ever paid Dan Bridge for building his big lodge....

Kody94
08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Not even if they were willing to show you a place to hunt those elusive bighorn rams in the timber away from the flowing water.:-D

LOL. That could qualify as "comparing notes". :)

GoatGuy
08-25-2010, 08:24 AM
LOL. That could qualify as "comparing notes". :)

Too funny.

leadpillproductions
08-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Ok so who want to take me sheep hunting lol

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 09:24 AM

I promise you, not many will return to those areas with all the "free, easy info" unless they are willing to go one or two steps further....and even more will head somewhere else once they see get a taste for what being in sheep country with no one around feels like.

The Tat is a gong show on opening 2 weeks. Lots of folks skylining themselves and lobbing Hail Mary shots. You need to know the hiding spots. Any fool can walk up the roads.

08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Now there's an easy stroll.

Not denying that, what were you expecting? These are remote areas that require horses or a very long hike but still spots worth going to, no use posting the easy spots a days walk off the highway if that's what you're looking for, those spots are already well known and over-used. Looking for info on sheep hunting areas is one thing, looking for an easy ram is a completelly different matter, ain't happening...!

willy442
08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Not denying that, what were you expecting? These are remote areas that require horses or a very long hike but still spots worth going to, no use posting the easy spots a days walk off the highway if that's what you're looking for, those spots are already well known and over-used. Looking for info on sheep hunting areas is one thing, looking for an easy ram is a completelly different matter, ain't happening...!

Something wrong here. In prior posts when I spoke off over use and too much pressure along the hwy, alot of resistance came from some of the same people that are now falling in line with what I was saying. Why the change of mind? Hopefully people are going to switch to looking at sustainable harvest instead of the Dream World ALLOWABLE HARVEST. Lets get good numbers and start enhancing sheep is my opinion.

stoneslinger
08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Lets just face facts gentlemen. Sheep hunters are selfish, jealous, secretive, envious, devious, two-faced, obsessive, lying humans!

No different than the rest of the folks out there.

08-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Something wrong here. In prior posts when I spoke off over use and too much pressure along the hwy, alot of resistance came from some of the same people that are now falling in line with what I was saying. Why the change of mind? Hopefully people are going to switch to looking at sustainable harvest instead of the Dream World ALLOWABLE HARVEST. Lets get good numbers and start enhancing sheep is my opinion.

No change of heart, just really no point in identifying those spots for folks, everyone already knows about them, no different than the acessible heavily hit areas for other species all over the province. Passing on info is OK but it's not reasonable to do if someone is only looking for a cake walk. I pointed out a couple of good spots, one of them may not be as good as it once was, the other I'll bet is still pretty good, I didn't indicate either was real easy to get to, no info here for the guys looking for a two day sure-fire ram hunt, even if there is such a thing.

yamadirt 426
08-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Well this IS one of the better threads on the site. Too bad not everyone read the first post about no useless comment posts to keep the clutter down. If you don't like it don't post. Not hard. No one cares if you don't like it. I will likely reference it when I try for sheep in a couple of years. Big thx to the contributers and a big tissue for the cry babies. I didn't no big tough hunters whine so much.

GoatGuy
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
One 'low pressure' spot in Region 6 is Yoheniko lake. Have to fly in from Tatogga as the operator out of Telegraph will not fly you in. Trail heads east at the south end of the lake. Outfitter camp there. Trail splits north and south a couple hours up the trail (depending on how fast you hike). South is relatively quick, north is a pretty good hike before you're 'hunting'. There's a supercub strip up north, but it's probably been 'dismantled'. If you can figure out where it is you'll know you're close to sheep country. The outfitter is nasty but there are good rams that come out of that spot and that country, seldom to never are there residents in there.

South of Todagain is another area that doesn't get hunted (burridge creek etc). Weather's normally the shits, sheep aren't high density but there are some good 'uns. Can fly into tumeka and head north or west to get into the sheep.

Also seen sheep east of todagain outside the bowzone up tsatia creek, don't know if it gets hunted much, doubt it.

There are plenty of 'hot spots' in 6 that people regularly hunt (blue sheep, cassiar, klastline, tatogga, todagain just to get started), these are a couple that don't see too much pressure. Don't have the numbers you see in 7b, but seems to be good age for the rams that are harvested.

Maxx
08-26-2010, 06:49 AM
[quote=GoatGuy;733187]One 'low pressure' spot in Region 6 is Yoheniko lake. Have to fly in from Tatogga as the operator out of Telegraph will not fly you in. Trail heads east at the south end of the lake. Outfitter camp there. Trail splits north and south a couple hours up the trail (depending on how fast you hike). South is relatively quick, north is a pretty good hike before you're 'hunting'. There's a supercub strip up north, but it's probably been 'dismantled'. If you can figure out where it is you'll know you're close to sheep country. The outfitter is nasty but there are good rams that come out of that spot and that country, seldom to never are there residents in there.

quote]

Did you mean to say the outfiters camp is on the North end of the lake?

GoatGuy
08-26-2010, 06:56 AM
[quote=GoatGuy;733187]One 'low pressure' spot in Region 6 is Yoheniko lake. Have to fly in from Tatogga as the operator out of Telegraph will not fly you in. Trail heads east at the south end of the lake. Outfitter camp there. Trail splits north and south a couple hours up the trail (depending on how fast you hike). South is relatively quick, north is a pretty good hike before you're 'hunting'. There's a supercub strip up north, but it's probably been 'dismantled'. If you can figure out where it is you'll know you're close to sheep country. The outfitter is nasty but there are good rams that come out of that spot and that country, seldom to never are there residents in there.

quote]

Did you mean to say the outfiters camp is on the North end of the lake?

ooops, yes you're right, north end.

stoneslinger
08-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Could you please define nasty in a tiny bit more detail. Interfere with hunts, damage your camp and hunting gear, shoot over your head, threaten???
Helps me to determine the best suited hunting partners for such trips.:-D

GoatGuy
08-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Could you please define nasty in a tiny bit more detail. Interfere with hunts, damage your camp and hunting gear, shoot over your head, threaten???
Helps me to determine the best suited hunting partners for such trips.:-D

No shooting but pretty much everything else. Aluminum boats don't work real well full of holes.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Wicked Witch of the West!:wink:

Flew over what I believe was Tumeka on the way from YVR to Whitehorse. Looked like pretty easy access to the alpine.

SSS

325 wsm
08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
long walk from tumeka to any rams

BromBones
08-26-2010, 07:17 PM

stoneslinger
08-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe we should change the thread to read: "Where to hunt Stone's sheep in Creyke, Gutfrucht, Drinkall, Olmstead territories".

Let er rip boys.

frenchbar
08-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I think its time i took up sheep hunting .. beware stones:-D

lange1212
08-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Stonelinger, Ive been in some of the areas you have pointed out and your information is accurate. So I will also add to the list targeting areas in the Skeena Region and those of R7 that boarder on it.

Region 6

Todagain Mnt, stellar sheep hunting but is archery only. Hike in off the HWY
Tatsameni Lake East End east, fly in
Klastline Plateau can acces trail on west side of tatogga lake or boat across Edontenajon Lake and hike up from there, no trail.
Moon Lake (fannins) with a dominating dall gene mid way down the lake south side you will find a trail heading towards Skelly Lake. East end of Moon out of the guide camp you wil find a trail south east to the Rancine area.
Victoria Lake East range, this is south of Atlin, fly in.
Little Blue Sheep lake walking over to Blue Sheep. Little Blue is in the Alpine and Bruce will only land you on it so you will have to walk out to Blue Sheep Lake that's larger. The LBS lake area is excelent to hunt and easy terrain to hike. You will have to cross ranges to get to BS lake there are 3 basins the sheep like on this range and found they cycle in and out of them every 3 or 4 days. Ther's a horse trail from little Blue to Big Blue and will find the start of it by the small guide camp right on the lake, you will need to cut off it and go up the ridge if you want to hunt the range above big Blue. fly in
Ewe Lake has some sheep and is a great area to combo hunt if you are also looking at moose and caribo. fly inA few areas to consider and good luck.

lange1212
08-29-2010, 12:00 PM

The allowable harvest is a biologically "sustainable" one established by MoE biologists. Nothing to switch to here! Regulations and opportunity needs to be provided to allow stakeholders to achieve their AH not hinder it.

willy442
08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
The allowable harvest is a biologically "sustainable" one established by MoE biologists. Nothing to switch to here! Regulations and opportunity needs to be provided to allow stakeholders to achieve their AH not hinder it.

The case in point is. What makes the ministry bio's correct. When did biology become an exact science. There is a huge difference between allowable and sustainable. Allowable is what can be taken now in the view of people that don't exactly have the best track record. Sustainable is what the Sheep out there can take for pressure and maintain the numbers we have. If predators rise hunting has to slow or a predator control program and hunters florish for example. The view that bio's are always right is very much one of convenience to many. To me our Sheep are more valuable then that, I want to see proof of accurate counts, then maybe I would be more supportive.

Deaddog
08-29-2010, 12:35 PM
do you have examples of how conrad thiessens track record is not "exactly the best" he is the bio in 7b,... our sheep our valuable, counts are being done by air as they have for a long time...including when you were in the business..... so now you are out of the business and they are no longer accureate??? 7-50 in particlular has been exstensively flown and charted in the past three years.. not sure what else you can expect

lange1212
08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
The case in point is. What makes the ministry bio's correct. When did biology become an exact science. There is a huge difference between allowable and sustainable. Allowable is what can be taken now in the view of people that don't exactly have the best track record. Sustainable is what the Sheep out there can take for pressure and maintain the numbers we have. If predators rise hunting has to slow or a predator control program and hunters florish for example. The view that bio's are always right is very much one of convenience to many. To me our Sheep are more valuable then that, I want to see proof of accurate counts, then maybe I would be more supportive.

With the full curl/8year ram restriction the hunt is sustainable as only a small proportion of the population is targeted.

I agree that the science is not exact and why margins of safety are incorporated when an AH is established to ensure sustainable yield. We've often heard from both GO's and residents that MoE is too conservative and AH targets could be increased and or restrictions lessened. Can they?

If sheep populations and protecting a portion of mature rams is paramount then I suspect you are dead against the GOABC proposal to remove sheep from quota which we all know will devistate the mature ram component of the population. What's your stand on this?

Deaddog
08-29-2010, 01:24 PM
sheep must stay on quota, the aah is set with safety margins built in and should stay this way.. I believe overall the miinistry is doing a good job of managing the sheep in the north... we do have issues in the south with wild domestic sheep mixing, currently it is a political issue with no short term resolution in sight....

willy442
08-29-2010, 03:56 PM
do you have examples of how conrad thiessens track record is not "exactly the best" he is the bio in 7b,... our sheep our valuable, counts are being done by air as they have for a long time...including when you were in the business..... so now you are out of the business and they are no longer accureate??? 7-50 in particlular has been exstensively flown and charted in the past three years.. not sure what else you can expect

Show me any of his back ground that is on sheep. ie; studies, papers etc. He has none except for general study of Biology. Also when my family was in the business we and others assisted majorly with these studies both by aircraft donations and our on the ground counts of all game through the fall. Some out there stopped this flow of information because of claims it was not trust worthy.

The amount of sheep seen on these air counts is usually erronous at best and the ministry then goes back to thier mathematical formula's to arrive at what they deem a reasonable number plus or minus a percentage. Really the whole system right now is unacceptable. They need the funds to do things properly and until they do we work on poor information. Then we come up with what is called an allowable harvest while sheep continue to decline if you speak to those that have the means, time and experience to see what is happening.

Do you not sit on the board of the WSSOBC. Can you truly tell me they are happy with whats happening in the management of sheep. I think not.

willy442
08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
With the full curl/8year ram restriction the hunt is sustainable as only a small proportion of the population is targeted.

I agree that the science is not exact and why margins of safety are incorporated when an AH is established to ensure sustainable yield. We've often heard from both GO's and residents that MoE is too conservative and AH targets could be increased and or restrictions lessened. Can they?

If sheep populations and protecting a portion of mature rams is paramount then I suspect you are dead against the GOABC proposal to remove sheep from quota which we all know will devistate the mature ram component of the population. What's your stand on this?

I'm 100% against any relaxing of regulation on G/O's. I'm totally in favor of 1 Stone Ram every three to five years for the nonresident and one in three for residents that harvest young rams every year if rams eight and over are taken by the hunter. If you want to hunt sheep every year I see nothing wrong with hunting by a little higher standards. If this was to be implemented soon, I think we can stay away from leh for a few more years. Without something like this I don't believe LEH is far away.

Deaddog
08-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Show me any of his back ground that is on sheep. ie; studies, papers etc. He has none except for general study of Biology. Also when my family was in the business we and others assisted majorly with these studies both by aircraft donations and our on the ground counts of all game through the fall. Some out there stopped this flow of information because of claims it was not trust worthy.

The amount of sheep seen on these air counts is usually erronous at best and the ministry then goes back to thier mathematical formula's to arrive at what they deem a reasonable number plus or minus a percentage. Really the whole system right now is unacceptable. They need the funds to do things properly and until they do we work on poor information. Then we come up with what is called an allowable harvest while sheep continue to decline if you speak to those that have the means, time and experience to see what is happening.

Do you not sit on the board of the WSSOBC. Can you truly tell me they are happy with whats happening in the management of sheep. I think not.

Once again willy it is a show me attitude.. you are the one trashing moe staff, the bios make their decisions based on science, flights etc, you continue talking about how their facts and figures are wrong and your opinion , based on your experience decades ago must be right..you continue to whine and bitch about declining sheep populations..yes it is down compared to the era right after the wolf kill's however as stated numerous times before historically the sheep are at a normal population. I do sit on the board of the wssbc and we are satisfied with the manner in which sheep in the north are being managed.... I would encourage you to once again become engaged in that process and perhaps you could speak from a factual point of view rather that a negative , the sky is falling position based on nothing more than your impressions.

willy442
08-29-2010, 04:13 PM

The issue I have with this statement is. When we take game counts and set "allowable harvest" large tracts of land are looked at, To a point we may be taking very close to what is a realistic allowable harvest for that large area. However when that allowable harvest comes out of a couple of small accesible herds confined in that large land mass our hunting has a detrimental effect on the whole formula and the sheep. I believe there are better ways.

Just a suggestion and one the G/O's would be dead against is if we want to talk allowable harvest, reduce the size of the management area to single sub units or G/O area. Set the allowable accordingly under the allocation system.

willy442
08-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Once again willy it is a show me attitude.. you are the one trashing moe staff, the bios make their decisions based on science, flights etc, you continue talking about how their facts and figures are wrong and your opinion , based on your experience decades ago must be right..you continue to whine and bitch about declining sheep populations..yes it is down compared to the era right after the wolf kill's however as stated numerous times before historically the sheep are at a normal population. I do sit on the board of the wssbc and we are satisfied with the manner in which sheep in the north are being managed.... I would encourage you to once again become engaged in that process and perhaps you could speak from a factual point of view rather that a negative , the sky is falling position based on nothing more than your impressions.

I've never said the sky is fallng. Yes I may be a little negative because over many years we've seen many bio's try many things in the North on enhancing and regulating sheep. Unfortunately the only thing that really made a huge difference was the predator control years. Which let me add were mainly funded and backed by G/O's and donated time and aircraft. Just like all the issues faced by the managers in place right now, politics and lack of funding prevents true advancement.

Deaddog
08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree, the only thing that made a substaintial difference was predator control....and you bet they were mainly funded by outfitters as is the vast majority of predator control programs that are going on today... and politics aside we as resident hunters should be happy that goabc is willing to fund such projects.. politics and lack of funding are preventing further enhancements for sheep at this time, we (you and I amongst others) need to stay in the "game" in order that we can continue to push gov't in a sustained, meaningful and proffessional manner to move towards the objectives (predator control) that you have pointed out.... you are quite right when you state that pockets of sheep are of concern due to pressure and predators, these pockets are being looked at and discussed, overall in the north things are satifactory, ..... rest assured that I would fully support whatever measures it took to ensure the health of the herds if and when the data shows they are in trouble..

srupp
08-29-2010, 06:09 PM
WOW ! THE BEST SHEEP THREAD ever posted..

Guys LISTEN TO WHAT STONECHASER said about HABITAT and stone sheep likes and dislikes and reaction to humans and pressure..COPY IT read it ..KNOW IT...amazing..100 %

As well as Willy 442 reading your stuff I now have a newfound admiration for you...well done..great info on HOW TO HUNT..not X...

Blackbart MAKES A EXELENT point...study photos of successful stone sheep hunts..notice the topography, the feed, the rocks , the season LOOK..

HOW is THE MOST IMPORTANT..that will lead you to the where...

GLASS with GREAT OPTICS..you are hunting not shooting...

I can speak ...I spent 17 years , most of em flying into differnt lakes and hiking...man i wish i had Stonechasers , Willy442, dedadog, BCRAMS , info THEN..it wouldnt have maybe takens so long..

I seen rams every year/ but not the big boys..I walked slow (my only speed...glacier...slow and steady..) never skylined..and just never found a respectable ram...but know every place I went held stone sheep..seen em..

How many months over the years did I spend glassing ..lol:mrgreen:

But I dont regret it..experienced so much wonderful beautiful scenery..

Most spots were help from other hunters..however some we/ I just headed into because it had the same characteristics that the places I knew held Stone sheep had...

The biggest couple rams I seen were indeed not on the mountain top but down low in the trees...

however when hot and buggy I looked up waaaay up and found rams every time...

To those that have spent the years, the shoe leather, the sweat, effort,the grit and determaination..that inner will and now share with the new sheep hunters NOT where exactly BUT HOW EXACTLY.... the tips and tricks learned from those years..on what makes a stone sheep tick what he does daily..and the sheeps habits ...habitats and how as a hunter to go about defeating this magnificant animals amazing defenses and by doing so...harvest or get an opportunity to harvest a ram... an old twister ram...

i have learned So much...and never forget the lessons of BC RAMS AND SSS...from their posts look at the distances covered.. the exellent spotting practices... and the constant use of optics...and NEVER EVER GIVE UP. AMEN.!!

Steven

stoneslinger
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Some of the best Stone's sheep hunting is fast approaching. Early snow will really make things interesting in some of those nice spots between Summit Lake and the the north end of Muncho Lake park.

WoodOx
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
at what period of time do stones typically rut, and is there any specific hunting dos or dont you experienced sheep hunters would note, for hunting duing that late part of the season?

luckynuts
09-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm 100% against any relaxing of regulation on G/O's. I'm totally in favor of 1 Stone Ram every three to five years for the nonresident and one in three for residents that harvest young rams every year if rams eight and over are taken by the hunter. If you want to hunt sheep every year I see nothing wrong with hunting by a little higher standards. If this was to be implemented soon, I think we can stay away from leh for a few more years. Without something like this I don't believe LEH is far away.

I like this concept and totally agree. Though it must be province wide. There was talk that some guys were going back into their favorite haunts in 7B and then claiming region 6 in order to keep hunting every year. Also this will effect only the new sheep hunters as most hardcore types are already looking for mature rams.

W.

stoneslinger
09-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Lots of greedy, obsessive resident sheep hunters out there. Make no mistake about that.

pappy
09-03-2010, 02:07 PM
You get greedy hunters for most types of game, and even for fishing spots. sheep hunters that are greedy just seem worse than the rest because guys like me have no where to start and no one to learn from. Its harder to start sheep hunting from scatch than it is for most other types of hunting. I know lots of guys that love to hunt but don`t want to sheep hunt.

BlacktailStalker
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
It has nothing to do with wearing out boot leather. More like licking bag

Fixed that for you;)

bridger
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree, the only thing that made a substaintial difference was predator control....and you bet they were mainly funded by outfitters as is the vast majority of predator control programs that are going on today... and politics aside we as resident hunters should be happy that goabc is willing to fund such projects.. politics and lack of funding are preventing further enhancements for sheep at this time, we (you and I amongst others) need to stay in the "game" in order that we can continue to push gov't in a sustained, meaningful and proffessional manner to move towards the objectives (predator control) that you have pointed out.... you are quite right when you state that pockets of sheep are of concern due to pressure and predators, these pockets are being looked at and discussed, overall in the north things are satifactory, ..... rest assured that I would fully support whatever measures it took to ensure the health of the herds if and when the data shows they are in trouble..

the funding for the wolf program came from the moe budget and a raffle run jointly by the bcwf and the goabc. the funds from the raffle were used to buy chopper fuel. a joint venture that worked well.

stoneslinger
09-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Fixed that for you;)

As in virtual bag. Reduces wear and tear on the bad knees.

willy442
09-03-2010, 06:26 PM
the funding for the wolf program came from the moe budget and a raffle run jointly by the bcwf and the goabc. the funds from the raffle were used to buy chopper fuel. a joint venture that worked well.

Who paid the cost for the spotter planes? Each G/O participator paid his own as far as I remember.

bridger
09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
could be can't remember exactely but what does it matter the results were spectcular and most outfitters got an increase in sheep quota's as a result. worked out well for everyone.

moose2
09-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Stoneslinger has started quite a thread here , all his info seems to be accurrate and very interesting. I was just wondering if you (stoneslinger) ever plan on hunting any of the spots you have been mentioning on this thread. Or are they spots you never plan to go to again. You said you had a shallow water boat and most of the spots mentioned are by truck , quad or deeper water boats. So I was just curious if I go to the head waters of the Muskwa where the sheep and goats can be seen and even shot from the river. Or up the rabbit or the frog if I might run into you sometime.
MIKE

stoneslinger
09-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Not so sure about the Rabbit. The other places yes. Whirlpool Canyon presents a problem with safety for me. (unless you know of a place to launch below and care to share). One of those center console tubs with the 175 SJ would be nice for the top of Frog and Muskwa.

leadpillproductions
12-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Well there sure is a lot of info on here decisions decisions where to go

canadianyoda
01-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Solid info.
Thanks alot for the great advice. I am planning a 10 day hike in trip for stones. I have hunted goats before and love mountain tops. Hunting is not all about killing but I do enjoy wild game on my table.

squeege
01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Well I have been following this post with mixed emotions for quite some time but have finally made a decision to help the newbies to the sport. Ive spotted this ram on three consecutive hunting trips to the Muncho area but just never had a chance as there was either other people in the area or was getting too dark for a stalk. I know that he is a world class ram as you can see by the picture. The last place I saw him was NAD 83 Unit10V E516413, N6518330. He does not seem to move too far each year as he hides right off the highway (hence the power lines in the picture).http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/P1000658.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22317&size=big&cat=500)

kuiu
02-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow, some great info on here. Good to see guys help each other out. The more guys we get in the mountains the better!

deepheavytwisty
04-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Well i think this is a good thread. Just went through and wrote down every tip you old dogs had to share. Got 2 full pages thanks. You might call me a dink killer from the ram in my pic but he was 8 1/2. It took me 5yrs and hundreds of km's of hiking to get him. That trip i flew out to a lake in the cassiars by myself and got dropped off with an inflatable kayak. floated down the river at the outlet of the lake for a few hrs hiked up a creek bed and shot the ram at 4:30am opening morning. After sleeping on the windy mountain peak waiting for first light to see if he was legal. Then 12hr hike back to the kayak loaded. Then 4days and a 100 miles of rivers put me back at Skook's landing. Trip of a life time i'll never forget it.

Anybody

deepheavytwisty
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Anybody looking to do a fly in should check out denatiah lake. Get dropped at the west end of the lake buy the outfitter camp. Follow the horse trail north and then hook west up onto the huge plateu. Head strait west into the sharktooth range. You'll run into a nice basin at the peak of the mountain. Seen a nice band of rams in there. Tough hike though.

04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
This was a great thread, what happened to stoneslinger, stepped on too many toes?

BlacktailStalker
04-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh he's around ;)
Likely busy topping up his bank account right now in preparation for the coming fall.
Don't forget his classic EK thread, it's a gooder too !

KB90
04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Oh he's around ;)
Likely busy topping up his bank account right now in preparation for the coming fall.

Yup, out working in the land of money :D

Buck
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for that always wanted to go there.Looks real steep in that area .Anyone been around that country?

Anybody looking to do a fly in should check out denatiah lake. Get dropped at the west end of the lake buy the outfitter camp. Follow the horse trail north and then hook west up onto the huge plateu. Head strait west into the sharktooth range. You'll run into a nice basin at the peak of the mountain. Seen a nice band of rams in there. Tough hike though.

kgriz
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
I have...but not quite where deepheavytwisty was...i got drooped off at other end of lake at "public" cabin where the said GO had nicely wrecked the roof previously....after fixing that we headed up the mnt straight behind the cabin for 9 days....saw some rams but didn't shoot one although my buddy's friend got a 40" ram day 1 the year before...after hiking for 9 days we saw most of the sheep on the mountainside face above the cabin...nice and sunny there in afternoons and lots of grass.
Got 1 griz and 2 nice goats though..the goats are somewhat of a gimme....you can spot them across the lake from the beach at the cabin..take your fishing rod...lots of trout in the lake...also saw biggest bull moose I've ever seen there but of course he's the one that got away!

backpacker
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
wow!
I never met a sheep hunter who honesty shares his knowledge of areas, don't read anything in to what people say on here about sheep hunting and where to go. I am not going to even try and share any areas because I am tired of lying about where I sheep hunt to other hunters. Remember no one will give there sheep hunting secrets away to anyone except their real sheep hunting partners and a good sheep hunting partner is a lot harder then finding a good wife.

kgriz
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
believe what you want....thats exactly where i was.....I'll tell anybody where I've been, very few have the time, money or ability to be successful there anyway....not being a prick but don't like being called a liar...i've helped many non-close friends get sheep in the spots I hunt

Tyler21
04-10-2011, 10:26 PM
wow, info everywhere.

be the day i ever even slightly told anything about where i hunt on an internet forum

04-10-2011, 10:27 PM
wow!
I never met a sheep hunter who honesty shares his knowledge of areas, don't read anything in to what people say on here about sheep hunting and where to go. I am not going to even try and share any areas because I am tired of lying about where I sheep hunt to other hunters. Remember no one will give there sheep hunting secrets away to anyone except their real sheep hunting partners and a good sheep hunting partner is a lot harder then finding a good wife.

If you are tired of lying about it why don't you stop? Since you are a self confessed liar I'll take kgriz's word over yours.

stoneguide
04-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I see alot of guys that are afraid to give info on here. No one said you need to give out your secret honey hole, but almost every sheep hunter out there know of spots that they rarely hunt that they can pass on to other hunters.
The areas ive guided in are tougher to access than some just due to there being no lakes and are a ways back in.
No one has mentioned the Tetsa from the posts that I have seen. It does get pressure but also produces rams everyyear. Onve you hit SMS lower cabin the sheep can be anywhere. Skirt around Mary Henry Mtn. and dont just look in the rugged stuff here. Ive seen and killed rams here at all parts of the season. A couple grassy knobs to the east that alot of guys over look but they hold rams especialy when they get a little pressure. All the basins on the Tetsa up to and past the lake hold sheep just have to beet the Guides to them as they take at least 4 hunters out of this camp each year. Most years with 100% success.

Also like has been stated all the drainages off the highway from Summit to Muncho hold good numbers of sheep. We killed a hog in the Chiska that the outfitter took pics at the Rock Cut that summer so them rams move around and you never know where you will bump into a legal ram.

Use your binos lots even when on the highway.

Hope some new sheep hunters get some info from this thread and kill some rams. Always great to see a new sheep hunter get a ram rather than the guys that already have 2 or 3.

SG

kgriz
04-10-2011, 10:54 PM
This thread covered most of the areas....when my buddies and me started hunting in the mountains we got a book called
"Hooved Mammals of British Columbia" blew up the maps to match the BC Rec Atlas and went to the sheep high spots....try it...you will be surprised how accurate it is.

backpacker
04-11-2011, 07:06 AM
I wasn't calling anyone a liar I was just warning others to be careful what they hear and make sure you do your own research. That is part of sheep hunting and really a big part of what makes it special. Research your areas strap on a pack in the off season and do the scouting then when you find a great area be in there during the season and make it happen. Sheep hunting is the most rewarding type of hunting in the world and all the research and work that goes in to it is what makes it the best. As for the self admitted lying it was more of a figure of speach, as soon as anyone asks me where they think they should go that is my answer, please don't make me lie to you, you seem like a good guy and I like you, lol

deepheavytwisty
04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for that always wanted to go there.Looks real steep in that area .Anyone been around that country?

We got dropped off at the public cabin on the east side of the lake too. Never seen anything up behind the cabin but heard about that guy walking up and shooting a 40 on the first day. We seen most of the sheep half way down the lake on the north side. Beautiful high basin with lots of little plateu's and tarns. Sure there had to be some legal ones somewhere but being rookies and impatient after 5 days we stomped for 16hrs and wound up in the shark tooth. There is a burn to the south of the mountain i mentioned befor. Its where i would go if i was to go back. I'm done with the flyin's doing the horse thing these days.

04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I wasn't calling anyone a liar I was just warning others to be careful what they hear and make sure you do your own research. That is part of sheep hunting and really a big part of what makes it special. Research your areas strap on a pack in the off season and do the scouting then when you find a great area be in there during the season and make it happen. Sheep hunting is the most rewarding type of hunting in the world and all the research and work that goes in to it is what makes it the best. As for the self admitted lying it was more of a figure of speach, as soon as anyone asks me where they think they should go that is my answer, please don't make me lie to you, you seem like a good guy and I like you, lol

So....what are you saying, you're not going to tell us where you hunt sheep after all?:-D

safarichris
04-14-2011, 07:10 AM
My advise would be to concentrate on locating the ewe mountain in the area. They do have mountains that they prefer to hang out on. The closer to the rut, the rams will be making their way to that area. They could be as far as twenty miles away from it one week and on it the next. It could be a tough hunt as the North is not that forgiving weather wise, but then again it could be just one of those good years and you could easily get a nice ram with a great cape. Best of luck.

limit time
04-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Tag for interest. I have wanted to do this for a while now. Thanks to all.

big game chaser
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
were is macdonald creek?

moose2
06-10-2011, 12:28 AM
were is macdonald creek?

This should help you out http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stone_mt/hiking.html
Mike

rusty3547
06-13-2011, 09:23 AM
has anyone ever tried 7-39 or 6-18

vip_ruger
06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Has anybody been to Frog lake sheep hunting is there sheep around there im not asking to pinpoint but some info on the area . I was talking to some pilots and the said they havent seen outfitters in there in years or horses or other hunters, i am spending lots of bucks to get to a remote lake where i wont be fighting on ever mountain i go up hopely on see a few people or none. I heard there are lots of cariboo in there but havent heard about sheep

leadpillproductions
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
btt the sheep are going to haunt me untill i get one

sizedoes matter
12-25-2011, 11:32 PM
some great info
thanks

vortex hunter
12-25-2011, 11:59 PM
OKAY GOAT GUY"S what if a hunter can drive anywere from Vancouver to lets say Stewart B.C. BUT HAS NO RIVER BOAT COULD PROBLEY NEVER GO ON A FLY IN HUNT what and were would you tell them to go for a hike in hunt......Vortex

AND ALSO THERE A ROOKIE..........A.K.A ME lol

ryanb
12-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Tip 1: You're not going to see many sheep if you don't go past Stewart. Try the other branch at PG or go further.

snareman1234
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Tip 1: You're not going to see many sheep if you don't go past Stewart. Try the other branch at PG or go further.

He said GOAT

Rackmastr
12-27-2011, 09:48 AM
This is a really cool thread for a guy like me. I'm a pretty dedicated hunter out here in Alberta and have spent a pile of time learning areas, understanding different WMU's, etc.

I'll be moving to BC in January and starting at square 1. I've hunted a couple areas in BC in the past so understand a few areas, but getting a grasp on all the places a guy can go, backpack, horeseback, fly-in, etc is pretty interesting just to see some names, look on a map, etc.

My goal will obviously be a Stone's sheep in the next few years, and I know that will be a tough goal. However, the opportunity for different types of sheep, goats, grizz, caribou, etc makes it a very cool prospect to just get out and hike some spots. I'd imagine a guy could only hit about 1-3% of all the great spots out there (if that) so I'm pretty excited just to get out there!!

Thanks for the cool post guys...

sheepsheen
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
well said stonechaser!

Buck
12-27-2011, 11:13 AM
OKAY GOAT GUY"S what if a hunter can drive anywere from Vancouver to lets say Stewart B.C. BUT HAS NO RIVER BOAT COULD PROBLEY NEVER GO ON A FLY IN HUNT what and were would you tell them to go for a hike in hunt......Vortex

You can find Goat around Terrace lots of good info if you do a search.Good guy to pm would be BC Billies

vortex hunter
12-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks BUCK...

vortex hunter
12-28-2011, 01:29 AM
I really would enjoy Chasing those WHITE GHOSTS ... Enen a SHEEP IS A MUST FOR ME...

GoatGuy
12-28-2011, 01:50 PM

If you live in the LM I'd go hunt GOS in the WK or put in for LEH in the EK. Lots of goats, less than half the drive, plus other species available depending on when you go.

Unless you're looking for a whopper, then head north.

12-28-2011, 02:17 PM
If you live in the LM I'd go hunt GOS in the WK or put in for LEH in the EK. Lots of goats, less than half the drive, plus other species available depending on when you go.

Unless you're looking for a whopper, then head north.

There's whoppers in the EK as well if you're up for some rugged hiking, look north of Golden in the GOS MUs.

aggiehunter
12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey MOM....Word......

Everett
12-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Lots of big goats in region 4 took me 4hrs to get a 9 3/4 inch goat this year most of the billies in region three are dying of old age from what I can see.

GoatGuy
12-28-2011, 11:06 PM
There's whoppers in the EK as well if you're up for some rugged hiking, look north of Golden in the GOS MUs.

Depends on perspective.

Goats in the ek don't typically have the bases for the folks that are adding up inches.

12-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep, if one's up to it, a little selective, and knows what to look for, there's big billies in pretty much every MU in the EK.

12-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Depends on perspective.

Goats in the ek don't typically have the bases for the folks that are adding up inches.

It's true there are many more book goats taken in the Skeena, it's a much bigger area and has lots more goats. However there are 48, 49, and 50 inch goats taken in the EK every year and I'll bet with much less effort and easier access - one day hunts (or 4 hours) if you know the country. But your right, if a Boone and Crockett goat is the goal the Skeena's the place to go, but, I'd also bet that if an experienced EK goat hunter devoted his hunting season to getting a book goat close to home he would succeed, they're out there in good numbers in almost all MUs. Seems in the last few years no one hardly hunts goats anymore in the EK except a few die-hards. Like Everett says most big billies just die from old age without anyone ever bothering them.

vortex hunter
12-29-2011, 12:39 AM
I like this post people helping people you dont see that MUCH now a days . Everyone who help US rookie's out or put up some great info. I TIP MY HAT TO YOU

troutseeker
12-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I took a 51 inch goat in the EK a couple of years ago, so I kn ow thy are there...

Amphibious
12-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Took a 49.5" Goat (after both tips broke off in a fall) in west Koots. There are quality goats in the south east of the province, just need to really put your time in. luckily lots of logging roads, so access issues are not on the same scale as the north west. Goats are my Favorite.

Seems in the last few years no one hardly hunts goats anymore in the EK except a few die-hards. .

seems in the last few years everyone I meet hunting in the koots is obese and idling along the road in their truck ;)

GoatGuy
12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Took a 49.5" Goat (after both tips broke off in a fall) in west Koots. There are quality goats in the south east of the province, just need to really put your time in. luckily lots of logging roads, so access issues are not on the same scale as the north west. Goats are my Favorite.

seems in the last few years everyone I meet hunting in the koots is obese and idling along the road in their truck ;)

Like I said it's all relative. Big to some is high 40s, others it's shooting something that's well in to the 50s.

Finding a book goat in the skeena is not a huge feat. Seen goats that are 5 years old go book up there, and 11" billies in the EK - yes 11" that don't. On average the goats down south don't have the bases when you've got the extender measurer out.

Shouldn't have said anything, probably end up with SCI creating a new sub-species.

Amphibious
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
lol, I don't really care about records. Every goat's a trophy, love every drop of blood, sweat and tears spilled on a good mountain hunt.

Unless I end up getting pulled overseas again this year, I'll be chasing them again, and hopefully stones.

this thread has been properly derailed :)

GoatGuy
12-29-2011, 07:11 PM
lol, I don't really care about records. Every goat's a trophy, love every drop of blood, sweat and tears spilled on a good mountain hunt.

Unless I end up getting pulled overseas again this year, I'll be chasing them again, and hopefully stones.

this thread has been properly derailed :)

agreed, it's the adventure that makes goat hunting so enjoyable.

just hunt
12-23-2012, 06:59 PM
What ever happen to stoneslinger love to see this thread carry on. has anyone hunted 7-39 or 6-18? What about some Dall spots?

frenchbar
12-23-2012, 07:06 PM
What ever happen to stoneslinger love to see this thread carry on. has anyone hunted 7-39 or 6-18? What about some Dall spots?

he's alive and well ....

Rackmastr
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
back to sheep, pelly lake holds good sheep, outfitter is a total **** ,, very few residents hunting there these day, good trail in.. pm me if you want to go in as i am more than willing to share..

Aint that the truth!!! In more ways that one!

You're a good man Jim.

This thread has some cool information for sure. A lot to 'sift' through but its exciting for a new BC resident trying to just understand the 'well known' spots and try to figure out some spots out of the way. Gotta plan up a hunt for this year on my first Stone's trip!!!

d6dan
12-23-2012, 07:24 PM
back to sheep, pelly lake holds good sheep, outfitter is a total **** ,, very few residents hunting there these day, good trail in.. pm me if you want to go in as i am more than willing to share..

You can avoid him.Just fly into tucha lk. A couple of mean creeks to cross and a very steep climb will get you past his camp.

Rackmastr
12-23-2012, 07:29 PM
You can avoid him.Just fly into tucha lk. A couple of mean creeks to cross and a very steep climb will get you past his camp.

We considered going in that way last year via plane...ended up hiking instead. I think that Tucha lake way could be a good way to get into that country for sure.

Course...having the outfitter fly by you ever day and run circles over the mountains in his airplane is a ton of fun as well.....lol

d6dan
12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
We considered going in that way last year via plane...ended up hiking instead. I think that Tucha lake way could be a good way to get into that country for sure.

Course...having the outfitter fly by you ever day and run circles over the mountains in his airplane is a ton of fun as well.....lol
That was my route and it worked, but that was in 1990. Never ran into him on that hunt, but know some others who had issues with him..

just hunt
12-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Have you had success in there. Isn 't pelly in 7-40 just wondering have seen pics from there but further in on a small lake.long hike but no pressure.

d6dan
12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
the hike in isnt to bad, he doesnt even know the trail is there!!! and after the first couple of weeks he is done sheep hunting and you have it pretty much to yourself

How true, we went in for the opener but should have waited until goats were open. Seen a booner up there when we were coming out.

just hunt
12-23-2012, 08:14 PM
This thread has been started with a goal to provide resident sheep hunters information about areas to hunt for Stone's sheep. I will provide as much accurate information as my experiences will allow. I hope that others will contribute. It is also my hope that the thread will be kept free of useless comments and wasteful clutter. Cheers to all resident Stone's sheep hunters.

This thread provides my motivation:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54252

I will limit my comments to Stone's sheep hunting spots. Will be saving the info on Bighorns and the Dall's for another time.

Were are you oh wise one

elknut
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Fort Nelson sheep....Turned him down..Only 50 inches..LOL

bowhunterbruce
12-28-2012, 05:48 AM
i dont know how this thread managed to elude me until today but i'm glad it was resurected. just finished reading all 24 pages and have to say there is alot of incredible information and advise here. thanks everyone
bhb

canadianyoda
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Last year went on my first stone hunt. Hiked 16 km in, 60 lb pack, got rained on hard for 3 days, had to get out of the high valley before we could not cross the creek. Saw sheep, caribou and had to use a bearbanger on a grizz. I am hooked. 57 years young so have to keep at it. I have hunted all my life and hunting stones and the country they are in is just great! Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. BTW, I came back and immediately gave my gear a diet. If the first time was sunshine and lollipops it would not be a challenge! Round two, this year!

just hunt
12-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Still would like to hear more about areas not on here though.. 6-18 7-39.how close to the Alaska border are stones.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Still would like to hear more about areas not on here though.. 6-18 7-39.how close to the Alaska border are stones.

Bennett lake is the "official" western boundary for stones' although colored sheep seem to be slowly migrating west over the years.

SSS

just hunt
12-29-2012, 09:54 PM
What about further south sss .like west of telegraph

just hunt
12-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Okay thanks boxhitch

Cordillera
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Tatsamenie lake and the lake at the old golden bear mine are known stone sheep locations. Both will see someone fly in during the first week of August. Access to alpine is not bad at tatsamenie and easy at golden bear. Further south of telegraph edziza is good but a long hike from mess lake or maybe another lake. I'm not sure how hunters access it but there are decent sheep. Sheep are also found a little further west of edziza (yehenico) but not much west of yehenico or south of edziza due to snow depths.

stonefever_14
12-29-2012, 10:11 PM
I see that golden bear is the outfitter close to the border. I have never been there but have always been interested in the area. Would be nice to have some info from the area

just hunt
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks cordillera very interesting. and you to stonefever iv always wondered but not to sure about area . ic goldenbear take some pretty nice sheep.

leadpillproductions
01-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Might as well bump it back up

drgame
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Are you allowed to drive that Magnum Mine road up by Toad River with your pick up or is there motor vehicle restrictions on that road?

Robert
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
You can drive you atv to the very end- past the magnum mine to the 2nd mine, i think its called Davis Key mine. You can also take your pick up across the Racing River then you have to stop at the gate (the posts are thats left) about a 1 km or so up from the Racing.

just hunt
01-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Just read a story about Davis key wondered were it was thanks.lead pill you got any input

leadpillproductions
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Just getting into sheep hunting. I'm 0 for 2 on hunts lol. I did drive the magnum rd lots of trucks down there . Must be some sheep in there

Whonnock Boy
07-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Thought I would give this thread a bump just in case some sheep hunters were having a hard time deciding where to go. :wink:

Ram Down
08-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had information about the northeast area of region 6 and if they could share some tips or sweet spots.

Rubicon500
08-30-2014, 08:12 AM
It seems to be a another good year for stone sheep hunters in BC. Have seen 2 resident rams at the infamous 180 mark