PDA

View Full Version : Moose With A Bow

kako
08-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I Am Planning On Taking My Moose With A Pse Compound Bow With A Draw Weight Of 72 Lbs.without Getting Into A Great Debate On Broadheads And Shot Placement Etc ,my Buddies And I Sat Around Trying To Figure Out The Minimum Draw Weight.what Do You Guys Think Is Your Minimum ?

Bow Walker
08-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I've got a 60 lb '06 diamond Liberty that's maxed out and is pulling 61 lbs. I'd take that up against a moose any day. The thing I'd do though is to make sure I had an arrow that weighed in at around 450 to 500 grains (all in) to do the job with.

Heavier arrow = deeper penetration and most probably a lethal wound - providing you do your part.

Of course I'd have to re-sight for the heavier arrow before going out after said moose.

StoneChaser
08-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I'll be using a 60lb Bowtech Admiral w/arrows just under 400gr (100gr Slick Tricks).

I'm not too worreid about penetration or lethality (hopefully I'll confirm this in October).

pg83
08-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm no bow expert, but anything over 60lbs. would be fine with the right broadhead and a good shot. If you miss bone you are going straight through the moose at that point.

Bow Walker
08-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah....keep your shot(s) to less than 40 yards. Good luck. We'll be looking forward to the story and pictures.

Bigbruin
08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
I have an 65 lb PSE X Force I use either 100g Slick tricks or 100g Grim Reapers on 300 Radial X weave I've anchoredots of Bear and Deer. I am gonna be trying for a Moose with it in Oct but I'm not sure where I wanna go. I'm thinking out by Qusenel. Good luck

Kirby
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
40lbs would be my minimum and I'd happily shoot that out to 40 yards on moose.

People with bows are like guys with magnums, more energy, more speed, bigger, better faster... cause suddenly we now have mutated freak animals that are next to impossible to kill with anything less than a howitzer.

Sharp head in the right spot from 40 lbs will easily kill a moose.

Kirby

Cdn-Redneck
08-22-2010, 08:58 PM
My cousin got a moose with his bow about 8 years ago. It was an XI bow with just round wheels and 60 lb draw. dropped it no problem.

skhunter
08-23-2010, 01:50 AM
I have successfully taken 2 moose with my bow and lost one, which sickens me:icon_frow. I shoot a mathews cranked to the max, 70 lbs. I honestly think that anything less than 60 would be a huge mistake. I guess if you have some kind of physical disability and can't pull more than that then do what you can. I wouldnt want to tell someone they cant hunt because of it. My hunting partner has also shot moose while i was with him at the same draw weight and I have yet to see a pass through.
This young bull had a large body but the arrow only went in about 12 inches. Luckily my hunting partner kept cow calling and i fed him another one. Of course broadheads have all the difference too. I think you should use a long blade with the blades right to the tip. In my experience they sure penetrate better.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/saskhunter/moosetrent.jpg

The bull on the left here is my hunting partners and he shot this one at less than 20 yards and no pass through. I think pull what you can handle.Remember too your b.c. bulls are definately larger than our prairie moose. I wish i still had my old hoyt with 80lbs.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/saskhunter/normtrentmoose20051.jpg

I am not saying you need pass throughs everytime but it sure helps. of course this is just my opinion but i guess thats what you were asking for.

mikek blacktail
08-23-2010, 02:35 AM
I shot my moose with a 60lb draw and it was a complete pass through.I believe 55lbs or better would do just fine out of a coumpound bow with proper shot placement.

gitnadoix
08-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I know of many pass throughs with bows in the 55 lb range ....they were of course shooting heavy arrows with razor sharp cut on contact 2 balde style broad heads......Read the Ashbury Reports on arrow lethality and it will give you al sorts of good info.

Mountain Man
08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
We have hunted with Vicki Cianciarulo and this lady has taken a many bull moose and bull boo with her bow at well under 60lbs. A well placed shot at 50lbs will kill em. Lower poundage keep the shot closer. Watch Moose Mania she kills a bull at 50 yards with a 55 lb bow. Just food for thought, I know its TV but the most popular draw weight for BG Hunting among male bowhunters is 65 lbs.

calvin L
08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
The moose in my avitar was shot with a bow at 45 yards . Almost a pass through just the flech stayed in the hide after breaking ribs . 63 lbs 3 blade mech rocket steel head

calvin L

Kudu
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
As others have said - 50 lbs and up will be fine - use a good broad head and place your shot well - moose are not hard animals to kill.

Btw - I know of six moose all downed with 50 - 60 lb bows shooting 450 grain arrows tipped with 125 grain Grim reapers - don't hoover up all the trash about fixed blade versus mechanical's.