PDA

View Full Version : Swavro's

Rubicon500
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Well in the market for a new spotter, was wondering if many guys have used and compared the swarvo 65hd with 80hd in the field ? How is it packing along on the hunt ? Weights not so much of a issue, ill take a good shiit at the trailhead and loose a few lbs right there. :mrgreen:

srupp
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
On a grizzly hunt 2 years ago, spring i had my Swaro 65 HD and Bigbore 14 had his Swaro 80 HD..and we compared them looking accross the tidal flat at eagles, seals, grizzly bears and the likes..

the size was immediatly noticable...I was not keen in packing even the 65 up mts on sheep hunt..and would not have taken the 80..noticable size and weight difference.

As for optics..we only compared on a afternoon or morning..not at the critical last moments when "perhaps" theoretically the 80 should have? might have the slight advantage ??In comparing JUST the SWARO 65 vs 80 in HD..I could not notice any difference at all.None.Maybe Dave sees it differently..I think myself by using such optically superior glass, coatings in HD the Swaro 65 is much better than most everything out there..I have not found anything I felt was better optically that includes Leupold HD Leica, Baush and Laumb, Nikkon,and even other German high end optics..(I am missing one comparrison the name just escapes me right now ZEISS..lol thats it)

So in the situation I described no difference..and high in the mts not sure the 80 would do any better due to heat waves??

Anyhow thats my take on it..100% satisfied with the Swaro 65 hd with the angled 20-60?? eyepiece...

I dont think that for backpacking the 80 is all that practical it isnt merely the significant weight its the sheer size of the instrument..it hunormous..takes up way to much valuable space in any pack..add a tripod..way overkill in space needed..

This is more suited to horseback, or boat, or ???one cant?? $$$$ 2 spotters..stick with the 65 HD and be happy very very happy....

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

sako_300
08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I pack an 80 around in the hills each year... works just fine, weight is subjective.

Unless you plan on taking a bunch of pictures through your spotter the HD isn't neccessary. All it does is "crisp" the edges, if that. Anyone who is looking at an animal on the outside edge of the FOV isn't using the scope correctly.

BlacktailStalker
08-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I am very happy with the 65HD.
The 80 truly is a big b!tch IMO.

Hunt'n Guide
08-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I'd go with the 65 again if I had to do it over again. The 80 is just too big for me to pack around. I don't see any benefit equal to the negative of the extra weight.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Buy the 80mm if you've got horses.

You'll have that spotter for life and soon you'll be old.

SSS

Spitzer
08-22-2010, 03:51 PM
High end Kowa's are the best optically FWIW.

srupp
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
whoa there Spitzer..:mrgreen:...that may be your opinion... and as valid as any other.. I have looked through a lot of glass over the years and some of the North American glass is admitadly getting better..and I have tried out Kowa...better than Bushnell IMO..but certainly not near the top 3..but again the costs may be something to be considered for some budgets..

Usually you get what ya pay for..hay being $20/ bale however once through the horse is slightly cheaper..:wink:

I do note that most of the big names that have their own shows..see a LOTY of Swaros from folks that could buy and use anything...exceptions being Shockey whose capitive branding to leupold(sponsorship)and the Alberta crew who use Nikkon again sponsorship...although Nikkon does make some mighty fine glass..still waiting to see some big names with Kowa...

cheers
Srupp:mrgreen:

blueboy
08-22-2010, 04:54 PM
65 hd for me , weigh is an issue also size , good luck

Rubicon500
08-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Ya its a toss up still, I was lookin at Matts 80mm Zeiss today, they look alot bigger but in reality they are only a inch longer and 5/8 " in diamter(as per swarvos specs). Kind of leaning towards the 65hd with the new magnesium body, and its roughly 700$-800$ cheaper as well.

dutchie
08-22-2010, 09:48 PM
whoa there Spitzer..:mrgreen:...that may be your opinion... and as valid as any other.. I have looked through a lot of glass over the years and some of the North American glass is admitadly getting better..and I have tried out Kowa...better than Bushnell IMO..but certainly not near the top 3..but again the costs may be something to be considered for some budgets..

I do note that most of the big names that have their own shows..see a LOTY of Swaros from folks that could buy and use anything...exceptions being Shockey whose capitive branding to leupold(sponsorship)and the Alberta crew who use Nikkon again sponsorship...although Nikkon does make some mighty fine glass..still waiting to see some big names with Kowa..

I am not sure if you are thinking about the same glass...

High end Kowa's are in the $3000 price range and have been voted to be equals to the Swaro, Leica, and German Zeiss. They also do not sponsor people to use thier optics, and neither with any of the other Big names.

If you are comparing the Kowa to Bushnell you are not thinking the same optics.

People buy Swarovski because they are amazing glass but they buy them without looking through anything else comparable.

Everyone own gear is the best, and they put pressure on others to buy it because they want to re-enforce that they made a good decision.

With all that aside, you are getting into more sheep hunting and I would get the ATM65HD because of size. The twilight factor difference between the 65HD and the 80HD is very very minor.

Dutchie