PDA

View Full Version : Hungarians in Okanagan?

RoadKing
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Not the people - although I do love a good goulash... Has anyone hunted or seen Hungarian partridges around Kelowna? I have permission on a big piece of the range land around Tower Ranch, and it seems like it would be good habitat for these birds. I haven't seen any around though... Thoughts?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Only ones I've ever seen in the OK were just north of Penticton right on the side of the hwy.

SSS

britman101
08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Unless huns were introduced into the area you are hunting years ago there probably are none. Might be California quail though so keep that in mind. Hungarian partridge were introduced years ago in the Okanagan, but from areas I used to hunt they never did prosper like you see in Alberta for instance. Now with subdivisions and developments in the Valley there are just remnant populations of these birds left. Kind of sad to see how upland game bird hunting has deteriorated over the years in the Valley.

SHAKER
08-20-2010, 09:24 PM
I've seen them the odd time on the low land come'n back from my high country spots. Not very often but their is a few around.

aliagha
08-21-2010, 01:05 AM
used to hunt them alot back home, but hard to find them here,
i hope to hunt them here someday too but only seen them once (a week before the season) last uear, a floak of 10 to 15 birds flying on the side of the highway around ossoyos. went back there after two weeks and they were no where to be found, shot some grouse though. i would say the grassy hills of ossoyos should be a good place to look for some grey.

troutseeker
08-21-2010, 01:07 AM
You will likely find pheasants before you find huns in the area. Do you have a dog to hunt with?

RoadKing
08-21-2010, 07:08 AM
I have a Chesapeake who always gets confused by the lack of water when we upland hunt... He's not the best for this style of hunting, but he usually blunders into a few birds. Thanks for the info guys!

slyfox
08-21-2010, 10:59 PM
There around my and the old man shot 7 saw 3 cuvvies last year around oliver.

mark
08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a Chesapeake who always gets confused by the lack of water when we upland hunt... He's not the best for this style of hunting, but he usually blunders into a few birds. Thanks for the info guys!

Are you the guy with the chessie, I met while fishing on the fraser, twice recently???? We talked about elk and hung. partridge hunting????

If so, I only know of 1 place in the okanagan where I always see them, never see them anywhere else. But its also a great mule deer area and not about to giver up yet!