PDA

View Full Version : Back into Hunting Big Time

Grumpa Joe
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Hello HBC

I joined the sight about 2 months ago and have been doing alot of reading since then. Figured it was time for me to introduce myself. Firstly, some general observations are: plenty of interesting product information, lots of opinions (live and let live) and a great sense of support for each other and hunting of any kind.

I haven't been hunting since my early teens many lifetimes ago. Dad got too wrapped up in work and didn't have time to go. I have also done some archery in the past as well as some handgun target shooting. I got the major itch to get back into hunting from a colleague of mine and have since January completed my C.O.R.E. and P.A.L. certification (just received my P.A.L.) last Friday. My 12 year old son has also caught the bug so I am looking forwarded to spending some quality time with him out in the field as well as on the water fishing. I do a fair amount (increasing all the time) of freshwater salmon, sturgeon and trout fishing and am involved in the flyfishing club at the school where I teach.

I am interested in all the areas of hunting and am looking at going for Mulies, Whitetail, migratory and upland birds, predators ( not cougars yet), elk and if I land a LEH maybe a moose. That being said I need to do some serious gearing up, which leads me to my first questions.

I am looking at 4 long guns; a Mossberg 925 3 1/2" 12ga synthetic for birds, 2 Savage Weather Warriors Model 16FHSS (one in 300WSM the other in 7mm WSM, both synthetic) the 300 for larger game (moose and eventually Black Bear) and the 7mm for Deer and Elk (or for my son to use when he accompanies me) and a Savage Model 12LV or PV synthetic in 22-250 Rem. for predators. I was planning on using 180 gr. bullets in the 300, 150 gr. in the 7mm and 55 gr. in the 22-250. I already have the scopes; 2 Bushnell 3200 Elite 3x9-40s for the 300 and the 7mm and a Tasco 6x24-42 for the 22-250. Here are the questions. Does anyone have experience with these guns specifically and/or with these cartridges and loads? My son is 5'6" and 150 lbs., will the 7mm recoil be too much for him to handle? If so what about the 270 WSM or just the 270? Your input would be of great help in finalizing my decisions. Also, which retailers in the Lower Maniland would you recommend for best price and service and why. If the response is sensitive you can PM me. I tell you, this living out ones childhood can become an expensive proposition.

That's about it for now. Looking forward to reading your replies and more discussions in the future. I met Rock at a local fishing store and had a long conversation with him, great guy and representative of the character of the people on this sight.

Cheers for now,

Joe

moose hunter
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
the 7mm will do everything the 300 can

moose hunter
04-24-2006, 10:49 AM
i have all three and they are all nice shooters the 300 is my fav for the long range and the 30 cal bullet but the 7mm is just as capable, the 22-250 is great for coyotes and target shooting if u buy a 7mm and 300 i have a feeling one will always be sitting in the safe and one of those wouldnt be good for your sons first gun either

oldtimer
04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
for me the 270 would be a great gun for both of you but a nice combo would be the 300 for you and a 270 for your son. I have always been partial to a 270 and found it capable of everything up to a moose.
Welcome to the sight. Mike

partsman
04-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Just curious if you teach in Maple ridge itself.
I have a childhood friend that lives and teaches in Maple ridge, his first name is Jim.

04-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Welcome to HBC,

l agree with oldtimer, even the 7mm for you and 270 for your son would be more then adequate for all but the most side ways north american critters. The 22/250 is a just plain fun whether shooting varmints or punching holes in paper.

Grumpa Joe
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Partsman. Yes I teach in a high school in MR and do know a Jim W. who is originally from Trail. Don't know if that is your friend or not, let me know. Thanks for the responses so far. What about a 7-08 as opposed to the 270?

Joe

Mooseman
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Welcome to HBC and to hunting "in" BC.

Best Regards,
Michael

BlacktailStalker
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Welcome!
Yep the 7mm will do everything the 300 will except load up a much larger grain size if need be. The WSMs are a sweet rifle, I had a 7mm and sold it for a 300wsm. Great caliber, but everyone has their favorite! My good hunting buddy swears by his model 70 270 and it shoots flat and straight. I looked at 3.5" gauges and chose the 3" because the shells for a 3.5" are $painfull$ while opening your walllet, but they sure do whack em ! I also found many places just don't stock them as they arent in demand (where I live)
Anyways a bit of presonal experiences to help aid in your decision.
Good luck to you and your son !

partsman
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi Partsman. Yes I teach in a high school in MR and do know a Jim W. who is originally from Trail. Don't know if that is your friend or not, let me know. Thanks for the responses so far. What about a 7-08 as opposed to the 270?

Joe

My buddy is Jim G. wife is Laura, I have shot a few calibers and own a few now.
I enjoy the 270 win, but mostly hunt deer with my 25/06, or the old 303. British.
For moose it was a 300 Win Mag, but I like to collect the odd rifle, so bought a 375 H&H for fun and now use it on black bear and moose, works real good.
But my oldest brother Doug, sure likes his 7-08 and I will pick one up when I find one cheap enough and can convince the wife that I need it.
My input is based on using a 308 and I loved the short action, the lightness of it and how quick it was to bring up and shoot quickly when I have had too.
I feel the 7-08 is more of a good thing.

Freshtracks
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Welcome to the site Frontier and also back to the great outdoors. :wink:

Foxer
04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
I've always been a 30 cal man myself, but we do shoot a 7mm and you won't tell a lick of difference on the animals as far as killing power goes. Loaded right both are more than you need to do the job.

I'd personally go to the range if i could and try one of each in similar guns and see what 'calls' to you or your boy, if you know what i mean. Using modern bullets, both can make use of lighter than traditional bullets with moderate loads and give less recoil (your boy will likely need a good recoil pad too - he's pretty young to be shooting magnums outside of the 270 wsm.)

I shot 7mm and such when i was 14-15 with no probs, but i'd been shooting all my life and i'm somehow fairly recoil resistant by nature. I find them quite light to shoot now, (and we use pretty warm 175 grain loads) - but every person is different. You don't want to give your kid a flinch.

One good idea is buy those guns for yourself, and then pick up a nice bubba'd lee enfield for about 150 bucks for your kid. You can pick up a synth stock for them and a non-penetrating scope mount cheap and it's a GREAT starter rifle that's cheap for a young man - big enough to take out everything up to and including moose tho, at moderate ranges. A lot of young canadians started out with a good ole 'le'. With that 'high energy' ammo from hornady it shoots pretty flat, and if you look around there's some out there that're pretty darn cheap but are still great shooters.

Then when he's a little older he can move to the seven - but at least he won't start out thinking that a) guns hurt and b) you need a super ultra-wide mega-short hyper-velocity premium cartridge to kill animals :)

Grumpa Joe
04-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi again Partsman,

If your Jim G. teaches at Albion, has a beard, a knee brace, is heavy into soccer and is an easy going guy then I know him too.

Joe