PDA

View Full Version : Gun Dog Training

mijinkal
08-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys, I just got my first hunting dog (Deutsch Kurzhaar) a couple months ago now and I'm getting into the training with birds. I haven't found any clubs in the lower mainland for versatile gun dogs. Are there any out there?

I've had the pleasure with meetting with a couple members from HBC who have given me valuable information and tips on how to do things. I've read a lot of books on training and have seen a couple dogs in action, but it's a whole different experience when you get your own dog on a bird.

I've talked to a lot of dog people around town and there doesn't seem to be much interest in hunting dog training. Just like hunting, the antis are out there too.
I think it'd be great if we could get a small group of members to meet regularily and do some training together and share tips/ experiences with eachother. I know that each breed is different, but it's always helpfull to see how other dog owners handle their dogs.

Cheers,
AL

Iron Glove
08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I'd be interested - we pick up a one year old Toller in a week or so and I want him to join me on Grouse hunts.
I think that one of the problems that a lot of dog "groups" have with hunting training is the use of live birds for training purposes.

Angel
08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Dutchie and I have talked about this a lot over the last while and its tough without much DK or DD owners in the area. Jeff MArtin in Penticton is the closest trainer I can think of, unless you are traveling South of the board.

Sasquatch
08-20-2010, 05:41 PM
There is a pointing club that holds regular weekend events. I've attended one and they had live birds and scheduled training. Seemed like a pretty good club.

NAVHDA has a chapter in Seattle and one in Edmonton. I posted on this board a couple years ago asking if anyone would be interersted in starting a BC chapter and had no replies.

Maybe there are enough members with versatiles interested in starting a chapter now? The people at NAVHDA said it was pretty easy to get going if we had the membership.

bopper
08-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I am always available to conduct gun dog training classes, either in the North Okanagan or any location where there is enough interest...

dutchie
08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Al I am down... there are a few others that I have talked to and I have a 50acer feild with water that we can train at. (not to mention shoot and hunt ducks and geese:))

I am really busy but if we can schedule something I will be in like Flynn!

Dutchie

pnbrock
08-25-2010, 06:24 AM
just had my dog trained by Linda at someday retrievers and would be interested in working him on some birds.i almost think she swapped this dog he is a delight to have around .

mijinkal
08-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Not a bad idea to get a NAVHDA chapter started around here. It's worth looking into. All we need is a few people interested here to get the ball rolling. The association will probably provide us with a lot of support.

bopper, I'm going to send you a PM for more info.

Hunting season is just around the corner so it will be tough to get people together soon. Is there interest in getting together in early September? Either on an evening or weekend.

sakohunter
08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
The NAVHDA club is a good idea, I did my puppy test down in idaho at my friends club. I would be interested in getting together for some field work. Send my a PM and let try and work something out.

LOC
08-31-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd love to see a NAVHDA chapter up here. I was a member for a while but never managed to get to the states to test my dog.
There is the BC All Pointing Breed club around here that does CKC testing. I've been to a few of there events to watch and place birds but they don't really do any training just trials.

If a group decides to get together in the LML I'd bring my mutt down to try and learn a few things :)

BiG Boar
12-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Did anything ever happen with this? My PP is now just about 6 months, so its time to start getting serious.

BigSlapper
12-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Standing by with my DD .... don't have time to lead, but will certainly participate when able (we are in Langley/Cloverdale area) .... auf gehts !!!
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01136.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/DSC01136.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/STAG10_SEPT11_2013_zps88c1604a.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/STAG10_SEPT11_2013_zps88c1604a.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/GUNNAR_NORA_HIGHCABIN2_FUSCH_zpsd7c2d92b.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/GUNNAR_NORA_HIGHCABIN2_FUSCH_zpsd7c2d92b.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg.html)

Jimsue
12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Its 55 min. south of the 49 to Conway Kennels, Bucko has trained many a PP

Brizz
01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey guys, my wife and I welcomed a beautiful GSP (Cedar) into our lives in August and have been working on basic training since we got her. Being my first pup and first hunting dog I'm finding the hunting training to be out of my depth...

I saw mention of a trainer in Penticton (Jeff Martin) - does anyone have any contact info or is he a forum member?

bopper
01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, my wife and I welcomed a beautiful GSP (Cedar) into our lives in August and have been working on basic training since we got her. Being my first pup and first hunting dog I'm finding the hunting training to be out of my depth...

I saw mention of a trainer in Penticton (Jeff Martin) - does anyone have any contact info or is he a forum member?

Jeff Martin only trains his own dogs; he is the owner of La Frenz winery on the Naramata Bench near Penticton. He has GSPs.

hotload
01-29-2014, 10:38 AM

I spent a couple days with Jeff this Sept in a dog competition and he is still heavy into training his Kurzhaars. He isn't a member of this site as far as I know but you might want to drop him an e-mail lafrenz@shaw.ca Hope this helps and good luck.............................

Andrewh
02-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Before I did any formal 'hunting training' with my GSP, I would hit two small blocks of 2x4 together at random times during the day without any reaction from me. Not really training but sure gets them comfortable with loud noises which is more important than retrieving in my eyes!

Onethumb
03-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi guys good on you! We have a 5 month old lab we are training for duck. I was introduced to the book water dog it has been a great book easy learning. We are on van island (central) if anybody here is training I would love to join up as we are new for training. We will be training with wings and frozen birds for now in the off season.
Cheers

Foxton Gundogs
03-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi guys good on you! We have a 5 month old lab we are training for duck. I was introduced to the book water dog it has been a great book easy learning. We are on van island (central) if anybody here is training I would love to join up as we are new for training. We will be training with wings and frozen birds for now in the off season.
Cheers

PM me if you like I'm in Cedar

jedimaster
12-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Just another bump to this thread., is anyone still getting together or interested in getting together?

jlirot
12-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm in Vancouver with a 4 month old GWP. Would love to get some dogs together. Is there a 'preserve' around where we could buy some birds and get the pups interested and started?

jedimaster
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I am not too sure to be honest. Mine has taken well to placeboard training. I am not too sure even when to start actual hunting training with him.

Discoverer
12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm in Vancouver with a 4 month old GWP. Would love to get some dogs together. Is there a 'preserve' around where we could buy some birds and get the pups interested and started?
Start with wings, then attached them to the paint rollers and add weight, then move to frozen birds and finally take him out for a hunt. I trained my dog in this sequence and it seems to work well.

huntergirl86
01-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Live birds and more live birds!! Look up "woah post" online as well if you are using a pointing dog.

There are some clubs around in BC
Vancouver Island Pointing Dog Club and
BC All Breed Pointer Club (www.facebook.com/BCAllbreedpointerclub (http://www.facebook.com/BCAllbreedpointerclub))

During their trials and hunt tests they usually have training days as well. There are a lot of people to get to know in those clubs and is nice for training.

britman101
01-10-2015, 11:12 PM
If you have not trained a hunting dog before I would recommend using a pro trainer in the beginning. Unfortunately most of the best pro trainers are in Washington state. Do your homework and call them up to describe the type of training you would want for your dog. The trainer should be able to tell you what he can provide to you along with some rates. Clubs can be good but if you get some bad advice that can cause bad problems which can be hard to break in the future. My two cents worth.

Foxton Gundogs
01-11-2015, 12:23 AM
If you have not trained a hunting dog before I would recommend using a pro trainer in the beginning. Unfortunately most of the best pro trainers are in Washington state. Do your homework and call them up to describe the type of training you would want for your dog. The trainer should be able to tell you what he can provide to you along with some rates. Clubs can be good but if you get some bad advice that can cause bad problems which can be hard to break in the future. My two cents worth.
I do not concur with this get a good Video(Gundog Videos are usually great) get advice and train with more experienced trainers if possible, but no pro can replace the bond you get by training your own pup, just ask Yamadirt 426 or BC Deer Hunter.

jlirot
01-11-2015, 11:51 AM
I want to do this myself. Even if I screw up some stuff - that's fine. My dog - my mistakes. :-) What fun would it be to send her off and have her come back trained? I may want some help in 6-12 months if she's not retrieving properly. Not sure if I know how to force fetch train properly.

I've learned a lot from a couple of books. I'm pretty experienced with dogs in general so that certainly helped. And, I hunted thru some books to find ones that kind of fit my philosophy.

Anyone know of a good empty field we could use? I want to put out some birds and let the dog find proper birds - not just chase crows around.

I do have a note out to a trainer to see if he is interested in working WITH me. And, thanks to Bird Girl I'm also reaching out to the two clubs she mentioned.

Cheers

hotload
01-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I do not concur with this get a good Video(Gundog Videos are usually great) get advice and train with more experienced trainers if possible, but no pro can replace the bond you get by training your own pup, just ask Yamadirt 426 or BC Deer Hunter.

Foxton,absolutely hit this on the head. I ended up with a Verein Deutsch Drahthaar Prize 1 dog by putting in much effort to surround myself with good people,articles,and,videos. Want to make your dog listen to your commands?? Allow him to want to, bond is everything.................................

britman101
01-13-2015, 01:24 AM
And this is why in BC there are so few pro trainers around for hunting dogs because it seems to have such a negative connotation. Many people do not have access to 20 to 40 acres to run their dog on for training. Then there is the issue of keeping and retaining birds for training such as pigeons or chukars - some people are not able to because of where they live. Books and videos can serve as good reference tools, but a good pro trainer will work with you, to also let you know what you are doing wrong with the dog. Especially when you work with it in the field. It may take some time to find the trainer for you, but I have used a pro in the past and it really cuts down the learning curve.

hotload
01-13-2015, 11:11 AM
And this is why in BC there are so few pro trainers around for hunting dogs because it seems to have such a negative connotation. Many people do not have access to 20 to 40 acres to run their dog on for training. Then there is the issue of keeping and retaining birds for training such as pigeons or chukars - some people are not able to because of where they live. Books and videos can serve as good reference tools, but a good pro trainer will work with you, to also let you know what you are doing wrong with the dog. Especially when you work with it in the field. It may take some time to find the trainer for you, but I have used a pro in the past and it really cuts down the learning curve.

Surrounding yourself with good people in the know, as I said, and this doesn't necessarily mean money spent for professionals. Professionals always have there place but there are many passionate good dog people that will willingly and graciously help the novice through glitches, this forum is a prime example of this. There are many authors to help you get from A to Z and its your job to understand your dog training instincts or lack there of and also your dogs abilities and pick and choose the correct avenue or author for the both of you. Again, the acreage is there, find it, the water is there, find it, the birds are there, find them. This all comes down to the degree of "how bad do you want this" and how bad do you want to gut this out and be able to say , I did it. The one on one time spent on bonding is an immeasurable experience which adds immensely to training. Good solid training is done with small, possibly time consuming steps and concentrated methodical time spent. Short learning curves?? Don't need or want it. I want training embedded properly and will take whatever time, short or long, it takes to do it properly.......................................... ..

thehammer
01-13-2015, 01:07 PM
"And this is why in BC there are so few pro trainers around for hunting dogs because it seems to have such a negative connotation."

Not true at all, there are so few pro trainers around because compared to the states there is very little demand in BC. Hotload is correct if you really want to train your own dog you will find a way, I did and it paid off huge. Books/Vid's/Youtube all good sources of info, watch and read and take what works for your situation and modify it if you have to, training methods are not written in stone. The get together training thing works if you have some experienced people to help but, put a bunch of inexperienced folks with young dogs and throw in some birds, well that dose not work well.

Foxton Gundogs
01-13-2015, 01:17 PM
I always recommend my puppy buyers train their own dogs if at all possible. Sure I could take their money and do it but I firmly believe if they have any dog smarts at all and are willing to listen and learn they will have a much better personal gun dog in the end by forging that bond. That being said I will always be available to help out and if need be take the dog for a few months "finishing". That however is seldom necessary and I don't mind one bit.

jedimaster
01-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book that will act as a guide of timelines for what sort of things can and should be trained at what stages when starting a puppy? Mine has shown to be a very eager and trainable dog I just don't want to miss out on steps I should be taking now or do things I shouldn't be starting him on too quickly.

Cdn-Redneck
01-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I have been using the Mike Lardy video series. Total retriever training. It is quite good, but starts just past the early puppy stage. It needs to have a good obidience foundation down before you start

FirePower
01-13-2015, 06:40 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book that will act as a guide of timelines for what sort of things can and should be trained at what stages when starting a puppy? Mine has shown to be a very eager and trainable dog I just don't want to miss out on steps I should be taking now or do things I shouldn't be starting him on too quickly.

Any of the Gundog videos are top drawer

jlirot
01-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Not sure what your dog is but the two I've been using are: The training and care of the versatile hunting dog - sigbot wiinterhelt and edward d bailey

and

joan bailey - how to help gun dogs train themselves.

these two seem to fit my philosophy. i have a couple of good web links too i can add later.

jlirot
01-13-2015, 09:51 PM
not sure how i missed this post! gorgeous dogs! i don't see this 'gathering' coming together somehow. would love to meet up with you and let the dogs play if you're interested. if i can find some birds to buy maybe we can let the pups have some fun? PM me.

Standing by with my DD .... don't have time to lead, but will certainly participate when able (we are in Langley/Cloverdale area) .... auf gehts !!!
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01136.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/DSC01136.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/STAG10_SEPT11_2013_zps88c1604a.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/STAG10_SEPT11_2013_zps88c1604a.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/GUNNAR_NORA_HIGHCABIN2_FUSCH_zpsd7c2d92b.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/GUNNAR_NORA_HIGHCABIN2_FUSCH_zpsd7c2d92b.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg.html)

Kasomor
01-13-2015, 09:52 PM

if you come to the Golden Retriever Club of BC Starting Your Retriever In Field Workshop on March 28 in Abbotsford you will learn all that and more... just sayin' :lol:

Oh, we use real dead ducks for retrieving and for those dogs who won't pick up a duck yet, we use bumpers or paint rollers dependant on the level the dog is at.

Its open for dogs of all ages, the younger the better to get them off to the right start or you can come and just listen and watch.

2 1/2 to 3 hours of of instruction explaining the how's and whys and everything in between of retriever training.... Thinkin we even have a pointer and a spaniel or two coming... Then we move outside to work with the individual dogs for another 3 hours...

Kas

thehammer
01-14-2015, 02:20 PM
He's talking pointing dog.

Foxton Gundogs
01-14-2015, 03:15 PM
He's talking pointing dog.

Actually I believe he's talking Versatile and the retrieving/waterfowl part should be taught the same, so it probably would be worth his time to go.

Kasomor
01-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Ya, what Foxton said.

I hunt upland with my tollers as well as ducks...

:-)

thehammer
01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Well your the experts, not the way I would go about having a broke pointing dog. I am sure he can train his GSP to be a flusher.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Well your the experts, not the way I would go about having a broke pointing dog. I am sure he can train his GSP to be a flusher.

Sorry, and I am not being sarcastic here but do you not get the concept of a versatile gun dog? "A "versatile" hunting dog, as defined by the National Versatile Hunting Dog Association, is "a dog that is bred and trained to dependably hunt and point game, to retrieve on both land and water, and to track wounded game on both land and water." A dog trained to retrieve waterfowl in no way precludes it from being a good pointing dog, nor does it turn it into a flusher. I have worked with a number of them and they are as advertised versatile. We are not talking English Pointer or a Setter(although I have shot over a few Setters that do double duty as waterfowl dogs). I just don't want to see the OP discouraged from making their dog into all it was bred to be.

Rocco in the marsh
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/00cb94a8-7577-48c1-aba6-13499b20723f.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/00cb94a8-7577-48c1-aba6-13499b20723f.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/0a9df9f4-e191-41b2-9831-7d59efee2b86.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/0a9df9f4-e191-41b2-9831-7d59efee2b86.jpg.html)
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/158880a9-e90d-4401-be2d-ba42b659da16.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/158880a9-e90d-4401-be2d-ba42b659da16.jpg.html)

And in the grouse woods.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/Rocoonquail-1.jpg (http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/FoxtonGundogs/media/Rocoonquail-1.jpg.html)

thehammer
01-15-2015, 11:47 AM
I guess you train your pointing dogs different (Golden and Springer). I am not saying they can't do both but steady to wing FIRST or you will have a flusher. Training steady to wing and shot in a "Versatile dog" is the same a training any other pointing dog, no feathers in mouth no chasing till they understand WHOA.

FirePower
01-15-2015, 12:27 PM
I guess you train your pointing dogs different (Golden and Springer). I am not saying they can't do both but steady to wing FIRST or you will have a flusher. Training steady to wing and shot in a "Versatile dog" is the same a training any other pointing dog, no feathers in mouth no chasing till they understand WHOA.

Sir are you being obtuse on purpose or do you really not get it. Firstly springers and goldens are not pointing dogs but they are trained to be steady to flush and shot they learn in the course of training to "HUP" and be steady, that sir is the flushing dog's equivilant to "whoa". The training of retrieving must me instilled early if it is to be done sucessfully pointing(or flushing) training one has nothing to do with other, if they did how could you ever steady a retriever. Both can be and are taught simultaneously sucessfully, I speak from over 60 years association with gundogs of all disipline. Secondly maybe you missed the fact that the dog pictured in foxton's post is a versitile(griffon perhaps) not a flushing retriever, it seems to be doing the job just fine thank you. And thirdly if by some streach of reality there was a reason for not introducing a versitile to feathers before it is steady, Kasomor has already stated bumpers and paint rollers are available.

thehammer
01-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Hup is Steady after flush. And of course I know Golden's and Springers are great pointing dogs. I believe you have one.....good grief. Group hug.

Discoverer
01-15-2015, 02:01 PM
And of course I know Golden's and Springers are great pointing dogs.

....good grief.

Good grief is exactly right ...

Cedar Cowgirl
01-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Sir are you being obtuse on purpose or do you really not get it. Firstly springers and goldens are not pointing dogs but they are trained to be steady to flush and shot they learn in the course of training to "HUP" and be steady, that sir is the flushing dog's equivilant to "whoa". The training of retrieving must me instilled early if it is to be done sucessfully pointing(or flushing) training one has nothing to do with other, if they did how could you ever steady a retriever. Both can be and are taught simultaneously sucessfully, I speak from over 60 years association with gundogs of all disipline. Secondly maybe you missed the fact that the dog pictured in foxton's post is a versitile(griffon perhaps) not a flushing retriever, it seems to be doing the job just fine thank you. And thirdly if by some streach of reality there was a reason for not introducing a versitile to feathers before it is steady, Kasomor has already stated bumpers and paint rollers are available.

Hup is Steady after flush. And of course I know Golden's and Springers are great pointing dogs. I believe you have one.....good grief. Group hug.

OK first of all the dog pictured is a Spinone Italiano another one of the fine Versatile breeds. We have been involved in his training since he was a pup he and yes he was trained to retrieve birda before and at the same time he was steadied, no issues what so ever as was the case with the other Versatiles we have had a hand in training. Second HUP is a combination sit stay command, we train out spaniels and flushing retrievers to hup (or sit) when they flush a bird as well upon hearing a shot.They are not allowed to chase (as with pointing dogs) and they must remain hupped until given the command to retrieve or continue hunting. we train all dogs (flushers and pointers) in basically the same sequence and start both retrieving wing wrapped bumpers at an early age. Goldens and Springers are NOT great pointing dogs they are flushing dogs and should not point. There may be other schools of thought but I can assure you that a Versatile Gundog trained to retrieve birds from an early age and used for waterfowling does not ruin it as a pointer if the training is sound.

Cedar Cowgirl
01-15-2015, 04:07 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by thehammer http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1590411#post1590411) And of course I know Golden's and Springers are great pointing dogs.

Good grief is exactly right ...

Discover, you own a Golden you should know it is NOT a pointing dog, I hope your "good grief was tongue in cheek

thehammer
01-15-2015, 04:29 PM
"They are not allowed to chase (as with pointing dogs)"

BS, you say you train both, so you let your pointing dogs chase? Don't enter any field trials.

"Goldens and Springers are NOT great pointing dogs "

DUH! Read between the lines. What makes a pointing dog a "versatile dog" The sucker is built so it can withstand harsher conditions while the rest of the pointing breeds would freeze and I don't mean while hunting pheasants.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
"They are not allowed to chase (as with pointing dogs)"

BS, you say you train both, so you let your pointing dogs chase? Don't enter any field trials.

"Goldens and Springers are NOT great pointing dogs "

DUH! Read between the lines. What makes a pointing dog a "versatile dog" The sucker is built so it can withstand harsher conditions while the rest of the pointing breeds would freeze and I don't mean while hunting pheasants.

Are you being for real? Of course we don't let pointing dogs chase the statement They are not allowed to chase (as with pointing dogs) means we do not let our flushing dogs chase as pointing dogs are not allowed to chase . What makes a "Versitile" you ask, seriously I didn't invent the term and I posted the standard in an earlier post I'm sure the National Versatile Hunting Dog Association probably knows a little about it that's why I quoted them. Your definition is off the mark when you say "The sucker is built so it can withstand harsher conditions while the rest of the pointing breeds would freeze and I don't mean while hunting pheasants." GSPs, Vizslas and Weimaraners are no more built to withstand "harsher conditions" than an English Pointer and maybe less so than a Setter. I am not sure what you meant when you quoted "Goldens and Springers are NOT great pointing dogs ". You made the statement that "And of course I know Golden's and Springers are great pointing dogs." CC was merely pointing out your error.
The point of this is that the POs GWP was developed as a breed to point birds, retrieve upland and waterfowl and blood trail game they can be trained to do all 3 and one branch of training does not ruin them for the other.

yamadirt 426
01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Well this one is going sideways quickly :lol: Now the op dog is somewhere between 4-5 yrs old now and it would be nice to have an update on how hes doing I think Jlirot should start a new thread about his pup and his training so we can watch him grow. Im not going to get into the fray here as far as training goes other than to give encouragement to the new guys and say yes you can train your own dog to hunt and you can adjust it to your style.

Hammer it sounds like your trying to discount the likes of foxton and a few others but your sarcastic opinions portray you to be an arrogant know it all. No one likes that and it wont get you taken seriously here.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
As I said Yammie, no one needs to look any furtherthan you and Matter to se what a bond and determination can do. And I bet you didn't even steady him BEFORE you let him retrieve feathers lol.

thehammer
01-15-2015, 08:50 PM
"Hammer it sounds like your trying to discount the likes of foxton and a few others but your sarcastic opinions portray you to be an arrogant know it all. No one likes that and it wont get you taken seriously here."

Finally someone that gets it!

yamadirt 426
01-15-2015, 09:12 PM
^^^^^^lol^^^^^^

Well I think the hammer said that he trained his own dog, was happy he did and even said no training methods are set in stone on pg 4 of this thread, but took exception to what he was hearing others do to train their dogs.

When I decided to "wing it" and train my first hunting dog this was my train of thought.

I took all the advice I got here, on YouTube and in books and formulated my regime. Right or wrong

But I had a vision, and that vision is not consistent with what would be required by trials standards or pro trainers and judges.

My vision was that of a boy and his dog walking down the railroad tracks or skidder road with gun in hand out to hunt what ever we could to bring home something for the family..

Also a versatile dog needs a versatile gun. This is why I bought a centre fire/ shotgun combo gun. That's the gun in my vision to be specific :)

I also set the bar extremely low. These were my main objectives.

-to have a gun happy dog ( not gunshy)
-to retrieve fur or feather in any conditions from swimming in the salt chuck to climbing under the brambles
-to point (this includes upland,lowland,squirrel,rabbit, whatever needs pointing)
-to be patient (duck hunting)
-to stand at my side while hunting big game

He does all this and more.

But here is where we go left when the pros go right. And I completely own it.

When the gun goes off, he goes after what ever I just shot at. Be it duck , upland, fur, bear.

although I can get him back if I bark loud enough. Or zap him.

He will hold a solid point for ever until...

- the bird moves
- I shoot

now my reason for breaking on shot goes back to my vision.

-I didn't want anything to get away from us. The quicker he was on it the better for me (small game)
-Im not worried about him marking multiple birds. We will get them blind if we have too.

Although I do hunt with some good friends and sometimes their dogs I based my whole training regime on solo hunting.

And really that's when we shine.

This dog lives to hunt and we probably get in 60 + days a year hunting. But in reality we hunt or train every day. This includes our walks, playing in the house, playing with a laser pointer (stalking and point training) , hiding wings or fur all over the yard, and squirrel training in the neighbourhood. Just having FUN but it all has a purpose.

Use crown land for training if you can't find a field. Use park trails to train him .

Set your goals and don't rely on anyone but yourself to get it done.

While our learning curve together has started to flatten we are always working on refining each other . Turns out I have to let things go a bit too and trust in him instead of giving orders. Been a few times where I tell him to keep moving when in fact the birds were there....

if you are realistic in your goals and you put in the time you will get a good dog and the bond together will undoubtably be as solid as it can get.

Foxton Gundogs
01-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Yammie, what you have is called a "Personal Gundog" it makes you happy and that's what it's all about. After years of training for trials and titling 5 dogs(my kennel name is now permanently registered with the CKC) that is what I train for as well. Sure I may be a little more exacting than you because of my trial routes, but What I enjoy now is training that personal hunting buddy that will be 1/2 of a lifetime team. I never once said my method was the only way, just that it works and will not ruin a gun dog, ANY gundog and I believe I have a record over many years to back that up and I resent someone trying to tell me it will "ruin" a dog..

thehammer
01-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Lord Foxton spends more time stroking others egos so they will agree with him, but when you read between the lines they don't. Please show your pointing dog titles. Never mind I am not coming back to read them!

Foxton Gundogs
01-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Lord Foxton spends more time stroking others egos so they will agree with him, but when you read between the lines they don't. Please show your pointing dog titles. Never mind I am not coming back to read them!
Perfect, because when you have to be as right as apparently you do there's no sense upsetting your opinion of yourself. Besides I'm not sure you could find another way to screw up telling everyone how you have the ONLY right opinion. Sad really, I feel sorry for you having to stroke your own ego like that. As for my stroking others egos, The 2 members I spoke of both knew my opinion of their individual successes long before these posts ever were written. I could explain to you again that you don't have the only method that works, but my wife reminded me I may be damned good with dogs and horses but I'm no Jackass whisperer.

hotload
01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
I came to realize a long time ago that a good way to not get a dog trained is to go into it with a closed mind. With the many good dog trainers that I have come into contact with I really cannot think of one that had the same training techniques. The vast array of techniques were consumed by me, sorted out, and chosen for the personality and tasks at hand. As I reflect back on it, I really don't think I could have got it done without talking,listening,reading,remembering and applying..............

Foxton Gundogs
01-17-2015, 01:24 PM
HL that hits the nail right on the proverbial head I agree, I learned my basics as a kid from my family members then have built on it ever since, M gramps used to say "You can learn something from everyone even the village idiot, even if the only thing you learn from him is you don't want to be like hi". What I know for sure is if you have tunnel vision when it comes to dog training only the dog looses in the end, they are all individuals and their training must be approached as such...............sorry if I'm "stroking" you lol

hotload
01-22-2015, 10:25 AM
HL that hits the nail right on the proverbial head I agree, I learned my basics as a kid from my family members then have built on it ever since, M gramps used to say "You can learn something from everyone even the village idiot, even if the only thing you learn from him is you don't want to be like hi". What I know for sure is if you have tunnel vision when it comes to dog training only the dog looses in the end, they are all individuals and their training must be approached as such...............sorry if I'm "stroking" you lol

We agree, have mostly the same thoughts about training as I have read in your posts. Stroking, it isn't, agreeing, it is. Keep up the great informative dog posts, many novice and experienced leave here with another way to get the job done.................................

fowl language
01-26-2015, 09:22 PM
this goes to foxton,s character and his dogs.jim is not hard on his dogs and uses an e collar as his last resort ,mostly he just plain out smarts then. I have had the pleasure of hunting over his dogs and am ordering a pup from his next litter I was so impressed..i will not speak to the training debate all I can say is the man has a great respect for his dogs and treats them like family...dale.

FirePower
01-27-2015, 12:05 PM
I whole heartedly agree with you sir. I however can comment to his ability as a trainer as he did some work on my spaniel pup when I was laid up with hip surgery. He is an old school trainer who produces results in a calm quiet manor. I would cretainly recomend him to anyone with confidence.

Sarge789
04-01-2015, 06:01 PM
I am always available to conduct gun dog training classes, either in the North Okanagan or any location where there is enough interest...

what would the price and course content be? There's so much to learn, but I'm definitely interested. I'm assuming people would have to have some foundation? Unless you'd be doing a true blue beginner course.