PDA

View Full Version : Water levels on Prophet/Muskwa!

MOL
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey guys! Anyone back from the Prophet or Muskwa Rivers. I am wondering what the water levels are like. Are they at an all time low or problematic for boating? Have observed some very low water levels in creeks/rivers around Tumbler Ridge and FSJ. Has there been any river boating concerns? Thanks for the info, happy hunting!

MOL
08-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Anyone? It would greatly help my trip planning.

boonerbuck
08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Call somewhere in Fort Nelson like a sporting goods store. Google Fort Nelson sporting goods. You should find something...works for me.

takla1
08-19-2010, 06:32 PM
contact the prophet river general store,lum and abners,i think they have phone lines now,the owners will have that information

joed4040
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Try this site out. Compare with last year if you hafta.
http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/my_station_list/watch_list_custom_e.html

Crossfire
08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Heard that the Muskwa has never been seen lower. Should be interesting!!!

KBR
08-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Got back from the top end of the muskwa 2 weeks ago. lots of water.

2SHALLOW
08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Its lower then last year but has rained for a few days, going up for a ride monday to check it out i will let you know.

Deaddog
08-21-2010, 08:37 AM
talked to a guy from up there last night, no big water issues at this point. DD

MOL
08-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

bridger
08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
just came down the tuchodi this afternoon. water level on the tuchodi is already mid september level. muskwa is ok but low for this time of year. not much boating on the prophet in general. tuchodi will be interesting in couple of weeks.

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Is that rock ledge that runs 2/3 the way across the Muskwa showing yet? If so by how much? I have learned to use that as my water level gauge.

Swamp Rat
08-22-2010, 10:08 PM
You mean this one? :? This is from 2008.
I know what to do next time :-D

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Tuchodi_2008_058.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20190&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=18402)

2SHALLOW
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
LOL!! nice one went up the prophet today the water is very low for this time of year and its been raining here, hit two rocks nothing mayjor, playing aroung. Upper muskwa is low but not bad, im thinking its going to be extremly low late sept. Liard river is at a 20 year low from what ive heard,

stoneslinger
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM
No, that is just a garden variety gravel bar. There is a solid rock ledge a bit further up. You will have never seen it unless you were up in a low water year or late in season.

shallowH2O
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
anyone come back this weekend? the water levels holding up?

Rock Doctor
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Water is lower than normal, but not bad.
Everything up here is about 2 weeks early (It Seems) this yr. Swans are migrating through, leaves are turning early, Elk Antlers are polished up, ect. I would say that water levels are at about "Last week of Sept" levels.

RD

BCRiverBoater
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Anyone with a real recent update on levels on the Upper Muskwa? We are leaving on the 15th and really do not know what to expect. Obviously the rivers around FSJ are at an all time low.

I got 2nd hand info from a group that just came back and they say the Muskwa was as low as they have ever seen. They claim they never made it much past Olmstead's. I find that a little hard to believe but I am looking for the honest truth.

I have heard there has been a lot of rain in the Fort Nelson area for a month or so. How low is the top end? Has there been rain and enough for the water levels to come up or at least stop dropping?

2SHALLOW
09-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Anyone with a real recent update on levels on the Upper Muskwa? We are leaving on the 15th and really do not know what to expect. Obviously the rivers around FSJ are at an all time low.

I got 2nd hand info from a group that just came back and they say the Muskwa was as low as they have ever seen. They claim they never made it much past Olmstead's. I find that a little hard to believe but I am looking for the honest truth.

I have heard there has been a lot of rain in the Fort Nelson area for a month or so. How low is the top end? Has there been rain and enough for the water levels to come up or at least stop dropping?
Like rock doctor says its about 2-3 weeks early this year, i went for a rip up the muskwa yesterday and its about end of sept early oct level, the rain did not help at all and there is now snow in the mountains so no more run off unless in heats up!! buddy of mine did the top end and its very low, im going up this afternoon for the weekend i will let you know!

Swamp Rat
09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the update.. hoping to put in on the 18th or 19th. Will be hunting some unkown new country on the Muskwa somewhere :-D

Rock Doctor
09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Like rock doctor says its about 2-3 weeks early this year, i went for a rip up the muskwa yesterday and its about end of sept early oct level, the rain did not help at all and there is now snow in the mountains so no more run off unless in heats up!! buddy of mine did the top end and its very low, im going up this afternoon for the weekend i will let you know!

I heard through the grapevine that I'm going with you, Pick me up at my place around 2:00:wink: lol

RD

shallowH2O
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
thanks rockdoctor and 2shallow. heading up the 20th as well to the upper muskwa. stop in for a coffee if your up that way

BCRiverBoater
09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Well it sounds like we will all be up there the same time. So if it is too low then we will all be piled up somewhere...lol Might have time to all have a drink.

bridger
09-09-2010, 03:44 PM
hopefully you guys will find enough water for mix.LOL

BCRiverBoater
09-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I think I will pack a little extra mix this year. Actually may pack a little more of everything. It is looking like we will not get into where I wanted to go for goat/sheep. Might be an elk hunt only down lower which means a little more time in camp.

shallowH2O
09-17-2010, 09:32 PM
hey boys and girls, heading out sunday for the upper Muskwa. anyone been up past the log jam lately? hows the water levels above Olmsteads? Hows the jam this year?