PDA

View Full Version : outboard motor rebuild cost???

willyqbc
08-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok...so lets just say you wanted to take an older motor...lets say a 1985 evinrude 85HP...for the sake of argument:wink: and get it back to "like new condition" where it would once again be very reliable. What components would you replace with new, and any idea what kind of $$$$$ we'd be talking about complete?

Have to admit.....don't know much about working on outboards so any info would be greatly appreciated as I am looking at a deal on an older 18' campion and my only real concern is the motor reliability, but if the deal works out good enough and the it's not rediculous to get the motor into tip top shape it may work out well.

Any info appreciated
Thanks
Chris

hunter1947
08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I just had a 90 evenrute rebuilt I did it my self ,got 40 oversize pistons the rings come with it ,$20.00 boar for each cylinder from the machine shop.

The thing to look for when you rebuild the engine is the roller bearings if there blue there toast.

Gasket kit and Assembly lube and all my rod bearings and crank bearing where in good shape.

It coast me two years ago to rebuild my 90HP cross flow outboard motor $1500.00 dollars .

If you got someone to assemble your 85 HP motor it would be around $800.00 dollars.

So if you got everything done from someone else you would be looking at a coast of about $3000.00 dollars ,my opinion is its not worth it ,If me I would buy a good used outboard motor for less from the dealer..

Plincker
08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
If I was you the first thing I would do is do a mechanical inspection on it. Run it on land, compression test it, check the gear oil (is it milky?) and make sure it's able to produce 14v for charge. In my experience these are the three main things I look for to see if a motor is worth it or not. If the motor doesn't check out, ask all your local mechanic shops what spare parts they have. You never know you might be able to find a whole new power head or lower unit. It isn't really worth it to rebuild a power head. I would guestimate that you'd be looking at close to 3 grand to do a full re-build on a mid 80's outboard. I worked on a Merc OptiMax that ate a bunch of wrist pins, the cylinder head looked like a hedge hog! Insurance wouldn't cover it as it would cost more to re-build than replace it and that was a 2002-2003 Opti. It also depends on whether you're doing the work or a shop is. In the Lower Mainland you're looking at any where from 90-115 bucks an hour for labour. If the motor does check out, run it for as long as she's got and then buy a used motor.

Also check to make sure the hull's in good shape, no rot.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

willyqbc
08-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I am curious though, you both seem to think there isn't much value in rebuilding an older motor to like new condition. My thoughts were that if I spent 3 or 4 or even 5 thousand on the motor it would be better than spending $10,000+ on a new motor. I would think that spending this kind of money would get an older motor into pretty well like new condition....or am I out to lunch with this thought?

Thanks
Chris

Plincker
08-19-2010, 01:34 PM
If you got the time and know how then for sure it would be cheaper. If you plan on going this route try and find a motor that has spent it's life in fresh water. Always winterize and do a spring tune on the motor, this will make the motor last much longer and will drastically decrease maintenance.
However if you don't have a mechanical aptitude and will be paying a shop to do the re-build and maintenance than you'll be waisting your money.