PDA

View Full Version : Time for the snip?

one-shot-wonder
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
My 4.5 month old Chessie's nuts are nearing their expiry date. The vet I have used for his shots quoted me $575.....:eek:

What is a typical procedure cost these days? the actual neutering was something like $225 and the rest was for anasthetic and add ons.

I was aiming for the 6 month mark for my pup to get it done, what do you guys think, any benefit in doing it earlier/later?

P.S. He is currently 37lbs and after 44 lbs the cost goes up again.......:roll:

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Whisky and a leatherman. Worked for me:-D.

SSS

KodiakHntr
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM

SSS

Tip, if you go that route....Roll him up in an old carpet first with his sack hanging out.

Offers you a struggle free operation, and gives you time to get the hell out of the way while he fights his way outa the carpet after you let him go............grin

GoatGuy
08-18-2010, 12:41 PM

SSS
were talking about a dog, right?:mrgreen:

mark
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Price sounds pretty steep to me! We waited til our boy was about a year old, we had to put him under for a claw removal and had nuts done at same time, for $500. That included all the extras, meds etc..

BlacktailStalker
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Early neutering of dogs seems to stimulate a growth spurt...
Just something I have observed.
Some people end up with larger than normal dogs for the breed, you may or may not want this if it happens to him.

There is nothing wrong with waiting, personally, I'd wait til he is done growing.
Good luck.

Sasquatch
08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I've also heard there can be issues with hormones and growth if it's done too early. Not sure if it's true, but I waited til mine was a year old to have it done just to be sure.

I don't recall the exact price.

Kasomor
08-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Believe this is what Sasquatch and Blacktailstalker are referring too.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf

There is also a study which associates bone cancer with early neutering

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/11/11/1434.full?eaf

of course for every study there is another which shows the polar opposite :-?.

Personally I would wait until the dog stopped growing and was mature at 18 months.

MuleyMadness
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Depending on where you live, there might be a SPCA Spay/neuter clinic available or close by. It is very reasonable (we just had one of our dogs done, a female, and it was $180 all in including a little extra pain killer for after). They are run by regular vets who do a rotation at the clinic for a day a month. Let's be honest, it's cutting off a pair of nuts, not rocket science...no damn way it should cost you five hundred bucks, and that is coming from someone who has done the dog in the carpet trick and the cat in an ole boot. Other than the anestheic and a quick stitch or two, do you really think that's any different than what the vet is going to do? You already know he's charging too much, else you wouldn't have asked....look around, that's too much for neutering.

kinderdoggin
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
That seems to be a very high price for neutering. If you can't find an SPCA spay and neuter clinic, you might check with a mixed practice. Vets that work on cows as well as dogs and cats seem to have a more realistic approach to these everyday surgeries :)

I'm with Kasomor on waiting until the dog is done growing to neuter if at all possible. The exception to this rule is if there is a chance that an unwanted pregnancy could result (ie you also own an intact female or are often visited by one). In addition to the extra height and possible cancer risks, dogs that are neutered young are thought to be at more risk of knee injuries later on -probably goes hand in hand with the extra leg length.

Do what's best for your situation but you can certainly get a more reasonable price on the neuter if you look around. Where are you located, maybe someone can point you in the direction of a specific vet.

CanuckShooter
08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Your being quoted the golden rates.....don't pay that much the guy obviously thinks you find your money under rocks??

Your better to wait until he matures a bit, especially as he is a larger breed of dog, more like 8+ months.

dakotawinters
08-19-2010, 10:58 PM
My 7 year old stallion (horse that is) got a quote for about 500.oo bucks, i cannot even think how they could charge that much for a dog... heck they were coming to the farm as well for the horse...

RJ
08-19-2010, 11:03 PM
That sounds pretty high. When I took my guy in to be broken I think they only charged me for the drugs.
Waited till he was a year and a half, he filled out a bit more after.

Fisher-Dude
08-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Get 'em snipped at 6 months. Wait any longer and they will piss on everything in sight for the rest of their lives. I like having a male dog that pees like a girl - keeps trees, shrubs, couches, walls dry and stink free.

Sounds like a steep price - call my vet and see what he charges. I know he's way less for everything else than that guy in the Mission that I was going to.

BiG Boar
08-19-2010, 11:44 PM
depending on which lake youre at, I saw a few horses done this summer. You get the beer, I'll bring the scalpal. I am serious.

blindman
09-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know where in BC you live, but for that money you could hit a fancy hotel, have an expensive dinner, have the dog neutered and still have some left over in Whatcom County. The vets charge is around $150- $175, but there is a reputable mobile spay-neuter unit that travels throughout the area that I used for my Lab; neuter, meds, micro-chip and plastic cone for protection of the surgical area for a total of $90. ( Early arrival and dog ready by 3:00 PM )

charbrc
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I read that when you neuter a dog under a year old that they grow bigger, something to do with the hormone regulating their size.

-DC-
09-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I was charged $190.00 (including tax) for the neutering and a shot after to help with any pain. Your vet is way out to lunch!

You should also get it done later. Nearer to sexual maturity is best(9-11 months); however, not many issues arise when done at 6 months.

"P.S. He is currently 37lbs and after 44 lbs the cost goes up again......." I find this very alarming considering I have always heard of a standard charge. I think the vet is money hungry.

Wait a while, and find another vet!

houndogger
09-04-2010, 10:41 PM
It pays to shop around. The poodle doctors can really hose you...

GoatGuy
09-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Get 'em snipped at 6 months. Wait any longer and they will piss on everything in sight for the rest of their lives. I like having a male dog that pees like a girl -..
and sprays diarhea all over the house..... Great :roll::roll:

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2010, 08:27 AM
and sprays diarhea all over the house..... Great :roll::roll:

Not sure where you got that from, but carry on.

DEVILKID
09-07-2010, 03:17 PM
My dog jake is booked for oct-1/10 and my bill will b from 125-150 tops hes is a 60lb 9mo old-aussie shepard.