PDA

View Full Version : New (or used) Vehicle Advice

Padron
08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
OK guys, I need some advice. I am in the market for a new (or used) vehicle. I've been doing my research, but the more I learn, the less certain I am about anything. So here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: Approx. $15,000
Will be primarily a family vehicle and must accommodate 2 carseats.
Needs space for a dog (either bed of truck or rear of SUV).
AWD or 4WD? (Needs to get me into the woods and through snow, but nothing hardcore)
Would like something 3 years old or newer.Any suggestions? Anything to help me narrow the search.

Thanks.

mxracer328
08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
im lookin around for a new to me truck as well, and there are alot of 1/2 tons out there in your price range. thats what i would suggest.

BimmerBob
08-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Padron, you might consider looking at one of the Japanese imports like the Pajero or Delica for 1/2 your budget. They will be older than 3 years but will have very low milage and next to no rust and are generally very well optioned. There are a number of JDM importers that will get you set up if you choose that route. I like the fact that they are diesel and get great fuel economy...

newhunterette
08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Any suggestions? Anything to help me narrow the search.

Thanks.

Try sending HBC Member Leaseman a pm - he is a go to guy when looking for new and used vehicles and is always willing to help HBCrs.

ruger#1
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Go to repo.com, They have a shop in Surrey and burnaby, Lots of good deals on trucks, suvs, cars, atvs, and trailers.

Padron
08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Padron, you might consider looking at one of the Japanese imports like the Pajero or Delica for 1/2 your budget. They will be older than 3 years but will have very low milage and next to no rust and are generally very well optioned. There are a number of JDM importers that will get you set up if you choose that route. I like the fact that they are diesel and get great fuel economy...

Thanks Bimmer. I'm actually a big fan of the imports. The only problem is that there is a strong possibility that I will be relocating to the US in the next 2-3 years, and they do not allow imports younger than 25 years (as opposed to Canada's 15). Otherwise, I would pick up one of those in a heartbeat.

Out of curiosity, though, do you have experience with any particular importer?

Padron
08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Go to repo.com, They have a shop in Surrey and burnaby, Lots of good deals on trucks, suvs, cars, atvs, and trailers.

Thanks Ruger. Do you have experience dealing with these guys? Reputable?

ruger#1
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
No I do Not, Just check the cars over good,Check their web site out.

BimmerBob
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks Bimmer. I'm actually a big fan of the imports. The only problem is that there is a strong possibility that I will be relocating to the US in the next 2-3 years, and they do not allow imports younger than 25 years (as opposed to Canada's 15). Otherwise, I would pick up one of those in a heartbeat.

Out of curiosity, though, do you have experience with any particular importer?

No experience with the importers at all, I have just been watching the various Craigslist ad's for them. There is a good special interest forum on them at: http://www.delica.ca/forum/mitsubishi-pajero-51/ with lots of info and some private sales...

mxracer328
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM

X2, i forgot about them, ive called on a few trucks there, they are a what you see is what you get type of place, all prices are based on what it is actually worth. no wheeling and dealing. worth looking at it tho

d6dan
08-18-2010, 10:19 AM
OK guys, I need some advice. I am in the market for a new (or used) vehicle. I've been doing my research, but the more I learn, the less certain I am about anything. So here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: Approx. $15,000
Will be primarily a family vehicle and must accommodate 2 carseats.
Needs space for a dog (either bed of truck or rear of SUV).
AWD or 4WD? (Needs to get me into the woods and through snow, but nothing hardcore)
Would like something 3 years old or newer.Any suggestions? Anything to help me narrow the search.

Thanks.

Go to www.repo.com (http://www.repo.com)

mijinkal
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I picked up an '05 Sierra Crewcab with the 5.3l for under 15k last fall. IMO they are the best truck for that price range and they have the largest cabs. There's more than enough room for both of my kids and their carseats in the back. The dog can easily ride in the back, front or in the box.
I got mine from a dealer advertising on craigslist. Beware, there's a lot of crappy Alberta rig trucks out there.

Iron Glove
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute, probably the most affordable of the cute utes. Might not be able to meet the 3 year old / $15,000 threshold but should be close.
Daughter has an Escape, we've had 4 adults in it with two dogs in the back. Car seats fit really well - they tried it out last night with our 4 hour old Grand Daughter. :mrgreen:
We had a Tribute for years, never a problem. Great on FSR's, that kinda "off roading" and quite good in the snow. Son In Law tows a huge tent trailer with his, no problems.

DEVILKID
08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
i pick up a 2004 wj 4.7 h.o 4inch lift locker d44 d35 <a href="http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/devilinthekid/?action=view&current=summertime032-1.jpg" $$15000 and i love it!!

d6dan
08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute, probably the most affordable of the cute utes. Might not be able to meet the 3 year old / $15,000 threshold but should be close.
Daughter has an Escape, we've had 4 adults in it with two dogs in the back. Car seats fit really well - they tried it out last night with our 4 hour old Grand Daughter. :mrgreen:
We had a Tribute for years, never a problem. Great on FSR's, that kinda "off roading" and quite good in the snow. Son In Law tows a huge tent trailer with his, no problems.

Cheap to run those Escapes for sure, but no friggin' room in the back for a WC. I'll stick with the Explorer..:-D

sawmill
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Check out Kijiji.comI. bought my completely loaded 2000 Silverado Deluxe,one owner for 5000$,short box 4x4 ,3 door cab with a factory canopy.Beauty truck:mrgreen:There is more on there,a 2001 Dodge 3/4 4x4 extended cab in great shape 210,00 on it it for 6K OBO.Good site to check before you drop a lot of cash,lots of guy selling right now.Good luck.Joe.

Jelvis
08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
15 grand will get you a vehicle that someone else got rid of because it needs repairs soon.
... Has to have a maximum of 100,000 km or too many
average person puts on 20 thousand km a year.
... Buy from a reputable dealer
... buy a van
... you don't need a 4 wheel drive you can't afford one ..
Jelly ( the car doctor ) if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it ...

bandit
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM

I have an escape 4x4 (beware most are only 2WD) - the ground clearance is not great and it struggles on poor FSRs. Fits 2 baby seats no problem though and fairly easy on the gas too!

Padron
08-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Any thoughts on the Hyundai Santa Fe?

mijinkal
08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
A co-worker has had one for a few months now and he seems to be happy with it. He got a fully loaded one for the price of a stock domestic.

Personally, I'd never buy a Hyundai, I think they're POS's

Angel
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
my sister has a santa fe and it has been a really nice suv for them. I am not sure if it is AWD tho.

jessbennett
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
A co-worker has had one for a few months now and he seems to be happy with it. He got a fully loaded one for the price of a stock domestic.

Personally, I'd never buy a Hyundai, I think they're POS's

yes they are the same crap as a kia, just a different pile.......:mrgreen:

jessbennett
08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
15 grand will get you a vehicle that someone else got rid of because it needs repairs soon.
... Has to have a maximum of 100,000 km or too many
average person puts on 20 thousand km a year.
... Buy from a reputable dealer
... buy a van
... you don't need a 4 wheel drive you can't afford one ..
Jelly ( the car doctor ) if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it ...

most diesels are just broke in at 100000 km...................
buy a van??:-|
good to see what you are telling people they "need" now....:?
buy a van............. good one.......:-|

15000 thou can get you a decent vehicle in good shape, and taken care of. just have to look around a bit.