PDA

View Full Version : Submersible Trailer Lights?

Blair
08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
So-called submersible trailer lights are a joke. My camera is submersible too - just drop it in the water and watch it sink. I am sick and tired of replacing my trailer lights at least once a year. Does anyone know where to buy some that will actually last more that a few launches?

Steeleco
08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
The lights on my EZ loader work great, I've only had to replace one due to my driving. :(
That said, have you considered LED?? I know E&H Hitch have a kit they sell.

Riverratz
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM
The lights on my EZ loader work great, I've only had to replace one due to my driving. :(

X2. Our EZ Loader has been dunked so many times I've lost count.......LED lights, haven't replaced any yet. Tore a ground wire off one light once, but that was an easy fix, other than that, no problems.

One Shot
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
X2. Our EZ Loader has been dunked so many times I've lost count.......LED lights, haven't replaced any yet. Tore a ground wire off one light once, but that was an easy fix, other than that, no problems.

X2....LED lites are the way to go. They do screw up once in awhile but not where near regular lites. I wash mine every time they come out of the chuck same with the brakes.

BigBanger
08-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I buy the shit ones and replace them all the time and seem to always have a light out.

Buck
08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Ez Loader Led i just installed on my older easyloader trailer.

landphil
08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Go to a commercial truck shop, and get sealed tail light assemblies, mounting brackets if needed, mounting grommets, pigtails, and get the dielectric grease for the pigtail terminals as well - the lights are availble in either standard buld or LED, and are very easy to replace if needed, very cheap (if not LED, LED are still fairly reasonable) and are availble in round or oval. Heat shrink butt connectors are the ticket for connecting the pigtails to your wiring.

Steeleco
08-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Contact http://www.barrettmarketingltd.com/div_marine.asp I use the guys in Port Kells because they're real close. Parts are somewhat cheaper than the boat store!!

cainer
08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
If you drive in this way, you might not get your trailer lights wet at all:mrgreen:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr331/cainer1/truckinfirst.jpg

newhunterette
08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
So-called submersible trailer lights are a joke. My camera is submersible too - just drop it in the water and watch it sink. I am sick and tired of replacing my trailer lights at least once a year. Does anyone know where to buy some that will actually last more that a few launches?

Blair, like Steeleco says - go to E&H Hitch in Langley, ask for Lars, he is the owner and a family friend, he will fix you up with what you need.

madrona sh
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I gave up. Now I have just set up my lights on a 2x4 and they sit on the transom of my boat. I take them off before I launch and I can use them to tow anything.

Lone Ranger
08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Don't be afraid to pull any electrical connections apart and grease them up every once in a while too, it'll help seal out the water. Also, instead of just the cheap foam seals in the lights, a ring of grease in there helps seal them up as well. LR

VicP
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
The best way to prevent problems with your electrical system on a trailer is to unplug the trailer from the tow vehicle before dunking it.

This is where all the damage comes from. Sealed LED's pigtails and lots of di-electric grease and don't forget to use 14 guage marine wire.

lip_ripper00
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
google canadian brake supply find a location near you, cheapest place to get led lights

Sitkaspruce
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
You guys who have an EZ loader, you must have the only two that are not trouble.

I just tore off the lights on my 3 year old trailer as the LED submersibles are full of water, when I plugged them in tonight, one of the clearance lights smoked up and burned off and all my ground wires are so heavily corroded that the wire just broke apart when I wen to fix them. They are pieces of crap!!!!!!

I am going to do the 1x4 light system and not worry about trailer lights any more.

Cheers

SS

ydouask
08-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Agree with VicP... unplug the lights to launch and land. I've given up trying to keep water put and have taken the lenses off, drilled holes on their bottom edges and they drain just fine !

westhoyt
08-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I only have a 17 whaler, My lights are mounted on top of the fenders, and my axle bare ly submerges, lights are 20 years old, with all the hassels with trailer brakes and lights , I think I will stick with my low maintenance whaler, rain gear is cheap, and small boats hammer fish.

Chuck
08-21-2010, 09:08 AM
"Truck-Lite".....................the only way to go.

Marlin375
08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
LEDs, dielectric grease for the plugs on the LED, solder the wires, apply liquid electrical tape then heat-shrink. Bullet proof. All from your neighbourhood Princess Auto.

Cedarstrip
08-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Made my own light bar using pvc piping, regular wire and standard lights.
Make the cable long enough to handle a 30' trailer and you're good to go. I've been using mine on my various boats and utility trailers for about 8 years now and have not replaced a single bulb.
DO take them off when going into the water however.

pete_k
08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Use LED's ...

pescado
08-24-2010, 08:11 AM
I was frustrated with the same thing. The solution I came up with was keeping the lights out of the water. I've seen several methods and use the one mentioned above; a 2x4. It's become a portable trailer light set up that mounts quickly and can be used on all my trailers. Never had an issue with this set up.

lunatic
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
9 seasons with an EZ loader and lots of river launches. No problems to date. Had to replace one rear light due to driver error. Bought submersible lights cheap from Princess Auto and have had no problems.

c.r.hunter
08-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Removeable light bar all the way! Got tired of dealing with trailer lights years ago and never have problems with the light bar.