PDA

View Full Version : stocked by a Grizzly up in Elaho Valley .....

vortex hunter
08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Well My buddy and I went up in the Alpine in Elaho on Sunday. Looking to see if we could spot any big bucks for this up and coming season . well we drank a crap load of water sweated like pigs but never seen anything . So on our way back to the truck that was parked at mile marker 50 at the end of this little pull out. I heard in the distance some splashing . Well I know there are moose around their and grizzly but didn't see what was jumping in and out of the water . Well we were walking down the road to the truck and something big was rushing threw the bushed straight at us my city slicker buddy was freakin out so I shot two warning shots in the air . Well it stoped but further down the road it happened again . So I said heck with bird shot and threw in a few buck shot and a few slugs cause it already stocked us for 1 km . well my buddy's trippin out all scared and I noticed there was something on the road that was not their before well it was a big friggin grizzly . so my dumb buddy say's to me I am out of here and I said to him if you run I will smack you and leave you for the bear :-D . Anyways it starts to run at us and the bear was only like mybe 70 feet from us so I put four rounds down range at him into this tree well he stoped and looked at us . I guess he thought he would find other dinner lol lol .......anyone have this before around there......:twisted:

OutWest
08-17-2010, 07:22 PM
What a way to welcome your buddy to the great outdoors! Glad it ended well!

TheProvider
08-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Another report of grizzlies up there. I'm sure your mighty happy you brought along your gun. I was up that way on sunday doing a lil scouting but not as far. Still lots of campers out there. Wonder if they've been informed of all the griz sightings. Nice work on not firing at the bear.

vortex hunter
08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
yeah well I didn't want to hurt him would have hurt my buddy if he ran lol . yeah I called it in to the CO in squamish on monday .

TheProvider
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
ya having a mad wounded grizzly that close wouldnt be fun...haha ya I bet you would of, those darn city boys, I actually just read a story in a magazine about 3 hunters going to Kodiak Island to hunt deer. The two guys were too afraid of bears to leave camp so the one hunter went out alone. Ended up breaking his leg and not being able to make it back to camp. His two buddies presumed a bear killed him and didn't go look for him. 4 days later when the pilot came to pick them up and wondered where the 3rd guy was. The buddies said he was killed by a bear. The pilot asked if they found his body and they said no that they never went and looked for him. Pilot ended up flying a grid pattern and found him alive. Choose your hunting buddies wisely was the moral of the story. Nice work on calling it in to the CO.

bad arrow
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Interesting story, glad your ok and yeah, good thing you brought your shotgun along because it could have saved your life, and sounds like it did, and they wanna take our guns away, I never go hiking anymore without my friend that can shoot an ounce of lead.

vortex hunter
08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah thats what I tell the wife also why I always bring my gun.....yeah I think it really wanted us for dinner the CO said that the bears this year are really hungry . to much heat and no rain to make the berries grow...

olharley guy
08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Howdy, that is some rush a person gets when that happens! Good to hear you and buddy are safe and sound. Later

270WIN
08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
not to hijack the thread but what are the laws in carring a riffle/shot gun for protection well hiking

MichaelB
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Well I'll be! More bear stories up the Elaho and Squamish Valleys. Those are my hunting territories and I hate to hear of the bears getting a little frisky. Glad you are ok.

Steeleco
08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
There are no laws about carrying in the bush for protection, just make sure you have you PAL and your reg card for the gun. You may never need any of it, but it's good insurance.

pappy
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Good job on not killing the bear, these are the places we need to take wildlife lovers and show them reality. It just might scare some sense into them. I hope your buddy has learned a lesson he'll never forget. Its a good thing both of you came out with everything you went in with.

Plincker
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
It's good that you reported it to the CO's. I'm sure they'll be informing all the campers when they're patrolling for camp fires, maybe it'll scare all the yuppy campers out of the area for awhile!!

VINDOG
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Good thing you had a shot gun!! Might of had to stab your buddy in the leg to get away!!! LOL....... On a serious note, had a Grizz stalk me up by Buckinghorse River Elk hunting one year, just about soiled myself (Think I might of) Anyway, it is a very leary feeling when the hackles in your neck stand up, he stalked me in the tree line as I was walking a game trail down to the river. Got to the rivers edge and he came out on the bank about 50-60 yards away from me, got my wind and took off back in the tree line, then I got really scared. I am not one for being scared of Grizz, however I REALLY RESPECT them. I will never forget the way I felt walking back up that game trail, lots of things go through your mind. Turned out he didn't like me enough to eat me, thank god!!! but he sure had my undivided attention!!!

hunter1947
08-19-2010, 01:47 AM
This is a scary thing when something like this happens to someone ,its a good thing you had back up fire power ,glad to hear everything turned out right for you two..

vortex hunter
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah that grizz was scary and me and my buddy laugh about it know .... And he still even want to go fishing in there this week lol crazy city slicker lol

EPM
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
What side did you see him on, E or G?

vortex hunter
08-21-2010, 07:38 PM
seen him on E