PDA

View Full Version : Halibut hints?

mstewart
08-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi,
I've been hearing that there are halibut on the east side of Galiano and Valdez Island. Is this just an urban rumour? I'm visiting my Dad on Thetis Island next week and wanted to take him out and spend some time together. I realize any time spent together is valuable but is it worth making the trip outside Poilier Pass? I have been told 60 metre depth with sandy bottom is ideal? Any suggestions through PM or posting is appreciated. I'm not looking for any specific honey hole just want a little guidance. I'm not a fisherman.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Blair
08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I've never fished halibut on the east side of the island, but on wcvi, what works for me is a spreader bar baited with salmon belly.

Gope
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
they are catching "some" halibut around thrasher. 10 years ago my father got a 90pnd Halli outside of porlier. so they are around, but not the go to fish.

Johnnybear
08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Give her a whir:-Dl.That's why it's called fishing!!:) There are quite a few halibut being caught on the East side of the Island. Like Gope said they're not the go to fish but they are there for sure. I think you would be surprised. Go for it:wink:. Fish or no fish it's still great time spent with someone.

MB_Boy
08-18-2010, 09:02 AM
As others have said....they are getting bonked on the inside more frequently but not really in great numbers.

If it was me....I may try jigging for a bit, but more than likely I would drag (troll) my salmon gear (anchovies) right down on the bottom (cannonball dragging/bouncing in the mud) to cover more water trying to scare one up. :wink:

mstewart
08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey thanks for all the tips. I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully the weather cooperates and its not too windy. I'll post some results if I can anything. Regardless spending time with my Dad is what really counts
Mike

IronNoggin
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Trolling as Pippen suggested is a very good way to identify The Spot(s). Once that has been accomplished, on average, you will catch larger fish by bottom bouncing spreader bars with a 1.5lb ball. Herring and salmon bellies work when there are no dogfish around, Berkely Power Grubs (large & white) work well if the sharks are abundant. Have FUN with your Pa!

Tight Lines! :mrgreen:
Nog

Camp Cook
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I like either mooching with live herring using a herring spreader bar rig or jigging with a jig that has a large hoochie/squid that slides over the hook.

I prefer 7' - 9' one piece rods and Penn 330 reels loaded with 100lbs braided line, I use these same rods/reels for sturgeon.

mr eagle
08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
As the dogfish are quite bad on the inside this year, trolling close to bottom may be the best bet. We have caught hali's near sidney trolling green/white coyote spoons just off bottom in 200 feet of water.

mstewart
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Hey thanks again. I really appreciate all the advice. I haven't really done any ocean fishing in 25 years. I think I''l try some trolling and jigging. I have a tank of mixed gas I need to use up before the end of the summer. I 'm going to head to that fishing tackle store at Victoria and East Hastings today to pickup my gear and licence. Just can't wait to get out there.
Mike

dime
08-19-2010, 09:24 PM
As the dogfish are quite bad on the inside this year, trolling close to bottom may be the best bet. We have caught hali's near sidney trolling green/white coyote spoons just off bottom in 200 feet of water.

I agree, almost any bait will draw the dogfish (small sharks), I would troll a purple haze hoochie right in the mud. No dogfish, and you never know you may luck into a spring salmon if there are no halibut around.

trigger
08-20-2010, 07:21 AM
halibut are every where . and they will eat anything.
They are on pinicles , in mud, in rocks, in sand, in gravel,
they are deep, and they are shallow. ive caught big halibut in only 30 feet of water. up to 150 lbs.
they eat salmon bellies, octopuss, herring, squid, rockfish, shit they will even eat chicken.
i would refrain from using bellies. it attracts lots of dog fish.
the herring is the food of the sea. everything loves herring. sometimes i put a peice of octopuss on with the herring. works awesome.
good luck
heres the proof
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/fishing/IMG_1780.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/fishing/CHIEF2006052.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/fishing/IMG_1844.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/trigger22/fishing/DSC00395.jpg