PDA

View Full Version : C.O.R.E new manual.

oagie
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I just purchased a C.O.R.E. book from an instructor and found out it was the previous version (mule deer on the cover). Apparently there was a new version in 2009.

So my question is how much has the version changed. Is it worth getting the new book.

A little back information. I have been hunting in Alberta for 15 years, so I am not new to this.

Cheers.

thecoug
08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
You should have the one with the eagle on the cover.. It does not have major changes, but the retailer should have recycled. Either way, read it... There are a few questions on the exam that very very few get correctly. There is actually a fair bit of useful information in the chapter supplementaries as well.. Good luck.. Murray

pearljam
08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
if you had your hunting license in alberta you dont need to do the core exam........ just take your alberta hunting license to a motor vehicle branch and they will give you a BC hunter #

my buddy just did this last week.

silvicon
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
regardles what issue you have:
CORE is a joke!
the whole hunter education on this continent is a big joke!
go figure!

sako_300
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
CORE is a joke!
go figure!

Where did that come from?

Crimson Viking
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Well i guess it must be a HUGE coincidence that hunting accidents started dropping dramatically , when hunter education was introduced. Id start getting nervous if they let everyone head out into the bush without even the basic knowledge of safety, ethics, and animal i.d.

bandit
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Well i guess it must be a HUGE coincidence that hunting accidents started dropping dramatically , when hunter education was introduced. Id start getting nervous if they let everyone head out into the bush without even the basic knowledge of safety, ethics, and animal i.d.

Gun safety is covered in the CFSC course, not so much in CORE.

johnes50
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Actually, gun safety is covered extensively in the CORE manual.

shadow1982
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Not to sidetrack already sidetracked thread..

I think CORE is very important, most hunters were taught hunting by there father's and grandfater's...

My question is How safe would you feel knowing that i had no knowledge of hunting before i took CORE and you were hunting same grounds as me... lol

I am not saying i became an expert after taking core but i think foundation was laid and atleast i understand the basics...

bandit
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Actually, gun safety is covered extensively in the CORE manual.

Um 1 chapter is hardly the same as a whole book

NaStY
08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
if you had your hunting license in alberta you dont need to do the core exam........ just take your alberta hunting license to a motor vehicle branch and they will give you a BC hunter #

my buddy just did this last week.

Its actually the government agent office :mrgreen:

pearljam
08-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Its actually the government agent office :mrgreen:

Yeah what you said, the place I go to renew my drivers license.....

:twisted:

TPK
08-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Um 1 chapter is hardly the same as a whole book

Just comparing the amount of reference material in one book vs the other is not indicative of one course being better than the other. The C.O.R.E. Instructors that teach the firearms section in our classes are CFSC/CFRSC Instructors .. so they know what and how to teach in respect to firearms and there is very little difference in what they teach in the C.O.R.E. course vs what they teach in the CFSC course. I know because I work with them in delivering both courses. Now having said all of this .... yes, there is more info in the CFSC book than the in the C.O.R.E. manual, but that doesn't mean you get less training or less of an understanding as a result of it when you take the C.O.R.E. course.

TPK
08-19-2010, 10:33 AM
CORE is a joke!
go figure!

Ah .. and the Guides provide what in the way of hunter training for their clients? Nothing ... right, so you are helping the precieved problem how? If they pay you the $$ you will take them hunting regardless of what they know or more importantly, don't know. So who is putting fellow hunters at more risk? The Province by trying to educate people with a course like C.O.R.E. that involves licensing and testing, or the G.O.'s that will take anyone with money into the bush?