PDA

View Full Version : pg citizen

3006pg
08-16-2010, 08:58 PM
any of you guys see the article in the citizen today? if so what did u think of that

killman
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
The kid on the front page? I didn't see it but my wife wasn't impressed.

3006pg
08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
ya i saw a whole bunch of my buddies on facebook writing about it so i took a look on the website pretty crazy they would put that it the paper

lightmag
08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
what was it about?

killman
08-16-2010, 09:41 PM
They had a pic of the kid that got shot in the street lying in a pool of blood.

kgs
08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
It was disgusting and i wrote to the editor telling him so. WTF were they thinking posting pics like that?

jessbennett
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
maybe it will get the point across that if your in a gang, thats what will happen..........

sure its sad, but apparently the quiet turn the other cheek method doesnt work......... its time to be blunt, to the point and graphic about these harsh realities. Some of these kids parents who just let them run should take a look at these pics also. Time to learn the hard way what happens if you let your kids run.

These kids need a morgue tour, police file pics, anything to get it through their head that this is where the lifestyle will lead.

Jelvis
08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
The street has no rules, I try to get that across but a picture says a thousand words.
Jel .. It's gruesome .. the street .. can't turn the other cheek on the street ..

kgs
08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
maybe it will get the point across that if your in a gang, thats what will happen..........

These kids need a morgue tour, police file pics, anything to get it through their head that this is where the lifestyle will lead.

Sad is true but what about morals and dignity in defense of the victim. How would you like to see your son or daughter or any relative or friend lying dead in the street. Hows that for the family to remember their child or sibling. They could have simply taken a pic of his legs and got the same message thru that dead is dead. I feel it was very distasteful and the citizen made a poor call in printing it. It most certainly will not stop the killing or the violence in anyway it did however give the shooter a picture trophy to brag about.

jessbennett
08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Sad is true but what about morals and dignity in defense of the victim. How would you like to see your son or daughter or any relative or friend lying dead in the street. Hows that for the family to remember their child or sibling. They could have simply taken a pic of his legs and got the same message thru that dead is dead. I feel it was very distasteful and the citizen made a poor call in printing it. It most certainly will not stop the killing or the violence in anyway it did however give the shooter a picture trophy to brag about.

how would you feel if that "banger" killed one of your children? Do you really think that gang bangers deserve defense? if they had morals or dignity in the first place, they wouldnt be in that situation to begin with. You think they worry about the dignity of the people these thugs rape,assault,and kill? You think they would worryu about your childrens dignity and morals if they were in the wrong place at the wron time?

Your right though. what about the parents. how will they remember their dead child. well thats something they should have tried to deal with before their child got killed. Maybe if they had of taken the time to make sure their child didnt get involved in the lifstyle. The person dead is the one responsible for how his family will remember him. How bout the child that now has to grow up without a daddy because he decided to be a banger?

and i wouldnt worry too much about the shooter getting a trophy pic, im sure you will hear about his demise in the next few days..... its how it works.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I seem to recall they did the same with the Transient that was stabbed near Yew street and Massey a few weeks ago. Personally I think its a step in the right direction ... the citizen has been hammered about not accuratly reporting the news lately ... It was an accurate reprisentation of the situation ...

But in the VLA ...or the DMZ as some call it... I am kinda surprised ...usually Bangers dont shit where they eat ...

I am concerned however as it happend 3 blocks from where my wife works

jml11
08-16-2010, 10:48 PM

I agree and the worst thing about it was you could see his face (they tried to blurr it but wasn't very good) in the photo and the police had not identified the body yet...which means if his parents lived in town and were subscribers, this is how they would have found out...they could have got the same effect by showing the body covered in a tarp...having said that it certainly gets your attention, which I suppose is the whole point of a front page story...

I'm sure the editor has and will be getting a lot of feedback and I expect tomorrows paper to address some of it, should be interesting to see what the paper has to say about it.

beeker
08-16-2010, 11:27 PM

sure its sad, but apparently the quiet turn the other cheek method doesnt work......... its time to be blunt, to the point and graphic about these harsh realities. Some of these kids parents who just let them run should take a look at these pics also. Time to learn the hard way what happens if you let your kids run.

pretty much sums it up.

kgs
08-16-2010, 11:45 PM
how would you feel if that "banger" killed one of your children? Do you really think that gang bangers deserve defense? if they had morals or dignity in the first place, they wouldnt be in that situation to begin with. You think they worry about the dignity of the people these thugs rape,assault,and kill? You think they would worryu about your childrens dignity and morals if they were in the wrong place at the wron time?

Your right though. what about the parents. how will they remember their dead child. well thats something they should have tried to deal with before their child got killed. Maybe if they had of taken the time to make sure their child didnt get involved in the lifstyle. The person dead is the one responsible for how his family will remember him. How bout the child that now has to grow up without a daddy because he decided to be a banger?

and i wouldnt worry too much about the shooter getting a trophy pic, im sure you will hear about his demise in the next few days..... its how it works.

Its funny how we all arm chair quarter back things like football hockey and at times we judge people harshly because we are fed up with criminals and gangs taking over. Yea I get it but does that really matter because we are talking about a picture on the front page of a city newspaper of a dead young adult who at some point had a father a mother and maybe siblings. And all I am saying is the citizen could have chosen not to print those pictures but did and the family of this male has that for a last memory. Not to mention the fact that we do not really know if this person was a criminal or not or even why he was killed. All I do know is that this picture should not have been printed at the very least out of respect for the family. In my opinion.

lightmag
08-17-2010, 07:59 AM
He was no "kid" he was an adult that chose the hardcore life of gangs. He was a know gang member. Personally, i like it on the front cover so everyone can see what happens when you choose "gang life" too many kids and parents have their heads in the sand and pretend it's not as bad as it is in town, trust me, it's worse than most even know. We now have upwards of 5 different high profile gangs involved in "gang warfare" !!

want some advice, , keep your kids close, know what they are doing and educate them.

remember, sometimes fear is the only thing that gets thru to people and kids, good job citizen!!

I know what i'm talking about a lot my friends, family and I work in law enforcement and see/hear the effects and results of "thug life" daily!

lightmag
08-17-2010, 08:03 AM

EXACTLY!! well said

jml11
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
He was no "kid" he was an adult that chose the hardcore life of gangs. He was a know gang member. Personally, i like it on the front cover so everyone can see what happens when you choose "gang life" too many kids and parents have their heads in the sand and pretend it's not as bad as it is in town, trust me, it's worse than most even know. We now have upwards of 5 different high profile gangs involved in "gang warfare" !!

I think you guys have some valid points but what you are missing is that no where in the article does it identify the victim as a gang banger or a person known to police or the incident being gang related. At the time of printing (two days after the incident which would given the police plenty of time to identify a person known to them) it was an "unidentified homicide victim" and could have been an innocent bystander (I know, I know unlikely). It even says "finger prints and dental records will be used to identify the victim". I realize given the circumstances and location it's not hard to put two and two together but given the unkowns at the time the paper should have gone a different direction IMO, at least avoided showing the victims face. Do you not think the same effect could have been created by showing the body covered in a tarp and blanket, maybe with a hand sticking out or his feet showing??

luckynuts
08-17-2010, 09:10 AM
I see they released his name. Wonder If he is any relations to a Munch up. A Chris Munch was responsible for breaking in to a house and stealing a friends stone sheep 2 goats, bison and a 7'4 blond bear rug. He only got the stone and one goat back. Got off Scott free. It's getting bad up here too. Apparently there is 8 organized groups working up here. They just burnt down a house here in town a couple of weeks ago. Apparently was the competitions.

I think the picture is a good thing, look at what it has done here on this sight.... Made people aware what is going on. if you don't see it you don't become involved and you don't make change! When your kid is caught in the cross fire you will wish you had.

W.

eaglesnester
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I wonder how long the pistol that was used in the killing was registered?

lightmag
08-17-2010, 09:26 AM
I see they released his name. Wonder If he is any relations to a Munch up. A Chris Munch was responsible for breaking in to a house and stealing a friends stone sheep 2 goats, bison and a 7'4 blond bear rug. He only got the stone and one goat back. Got off Scott free.

W.

:wink: if we were playing cold/hot, you would very very HOT!:wink:

jml11
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
I see they released his name. Wonder If he is any relations to a Munch up. A Chris Munch was responsible for breaking in to a house and stealing a friends stone sheep 2 goats, bison and a 7'4 blond bear rug. He only got the stone and one goat back.

They said his family is in Fort St. John...

jessbennett
08-17-2010, 10:35 AM
I think you guys have some valid points but what you are missing is that no where in the article does it identify the victim as a gang banger or a person known to police or the incident being gang related. At the time of printing (two days after the incident which would given the police plenty of time to identify a person known to them) it was an "unidentified homicide victim" and could have been an innocent bystander (I know, I know unlikely). It even says "finger prints and dental records will be used to identify the victim". I realize given the circumstances and location it's not hard to put two and two together but given the unkowns at the time the paper should have gone a different direction IMO, at least avoided showing the victims face. Do you not think the same effect could have been created by showing the body covered in a tarp and blanket, maybe with a hand sticking out or his feet showing??

the p.g. local news stated that it was indeed gang related. today on the citizen it says the victim was indeed known to police. last night on the website it was stated also that the incident was gang related. today it does not have that on there, so they may have removed the parts of the article stating that possibly due to the investigation......

BCBRAD
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
what is it 8 this year? in a town of 80,000. a town like Calgary ,to be on par ,would have over 100. the public would demand some type of action. when a civilian gets killed in cross-fire, especially if its a child we see some action but not until then. As far as the Front page graphics...............it is what it is.

demlake
08-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I was disgusted at first.

But then I realized how effective that picture was. Usually, you spend a second or two tut-tutting when you read about someone getting killed in PG, but then it's only some gang-banger, so it's on to the sports pages.

Not this time.

Hopefully this spurs some action to deal with gangs and drugs.

CanuckShooter
08-17-2010, 03:02 PM
the p.g. local news stated that it was indeed gang related. today on the citizen it says the victim was indeed known to police. last night on the website it was stated also that the incident was gang related. today it does not have that on there, so they may have removed the parts of the article stating that possibly due to the investigation......

Known to Police..?? Knowing about them doesn't do much good when nothing is done to curb violent criminal activity. Our police spend more time writing seat belt tickets and passing out speeding violations than they do acting to get these violent criminals off the street. :cry: AND then when they finally do get their act together and bring in the 'task force'...our insane legal system gives them the slap on the wrist and sends them back into our communities to commit more violent crimes buoyed by the knowledge that our law cannot touch them.

I won't be shedding any tears for the dead violent criminal that lost the gun fight...

Chuck
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Talking on your cell phone while driving has been banned a little while back, but it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference anyway. Everyday I see people go by with one hand by their ear.

Currently there's one going around the web which shows EXACTLY how you'll end up in the grill of a Semi when you get distracted by those bloody cell phones.

The guy says "Have a look" then maybe you'll pull over to talk.

CanuckShooter
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Talking on your cell phone while driving has been banned a little while back, but it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference anyway. Everyday I see people go by with one hand by their ear.

Currently there's one going around the web which shows EXACTLY how you'll end up in the grill of a Semi when you get distracted by those bloody cell phones.

The guy says "Have a look" then maybe you'll pull over to talk.

dial 911 with the license number...they will get a visit.

lightmag
08-17-2010, 04:23 PM
dial 911 with the license number...they will get a visit.

no they wont

CanuckShooter
08-17-2010, 04:30 PM
no they wont

OK then, they will get a ticket in the mail that they can dispute....maybe.

But if they are fondling an AK47 while talking on the cell and driving they will get pulled over reeeeal fast! :wink:

Call 911 and report man with a gun talking on cell phone...the watch the action!!

Bluedsteel
08-17-2010, 04:55 PM

want some advice, , keep your kids close, know what they are doing and educate them.

remember, sometimes fear is the only thing that gets thru to people and kids, good job citizen!!

I know what i'm talking about a lot my friends, family and I work in law enforcement and see/hear the effects and results of "thug life" daily!

Thats right Lightmag! This guy was a leach on society, he played the game and lost. The photograph was just a reality check for those folks that are unaware of what really happens on our streets, and it's not going to get any better in the near future.

jessbennett
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Known to Police..?? Knowing about them doesn't do much good when nothing is done to curb violent criminal activity. Our police spend more time writing seat belt tickets and passing out speeding violations than they do acting to get these violent criminals off the street. :cry: AND then when they finally do get their act together and bring in the 'task force'...our insane legal system gives them the slap on the wrist and sends them back into our communities to commit more violent crimes buoyed by the knowledge that our law cannot touch them.

I won't be shedding any tears for the dead violent criminal that lost the gun fight...

whoah there big fella. your preaching to the choir on this one..... im one of the ones that agreed with the pictures being posted. your not getting any bleeding heart response from me on this. in all reality, the victim chose the outcome. its time that these types of things get graphic and to the point. maybe just maybe it might sink into these peoples heads that its not an "if" situation, but a "when".

luckynuts
08-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Quit blaming the police! write to your constituent's about harsher penalties the police hands are tied in this province. The judges throwout all but the serious cases. Court is a revolving door for the Dealers, thieves, and gang-bangers. How would you feel arresting the same punk week after week and watch him walk out the door. Go sit in a weeks worth of court proceedings and you will see what I mean. Same names keep popping up same shit rats walk out the door with a slap on the back of the hand. To curb violent crime the city has to pay for extra police manpower and services which gets passed onto the taxpayers which they usually protest/vote against it. Welcome to Democracy:wink:

W.