PDA

View Full Version : Stepping out of the shadows..

Ian F.
04-22-2006, 08:23 AM
I’d like to introduce myself to the board, I’m Ian Feir and have been lurking here for 6 months give or take. What has changed to cause me to step out of the shadows is that I have just accepted a position with BC Hydro that will see us moving to the greater Vancouver area at the end of June.

I’m a fanatical duck hunter and competition decoy carver and look forward with enthusiasm to the variety and abundance of species in BC compared to my present home in Miramichi, New Brunswick. If you are interested in more about me or my habits I have a webpage where you can see all www.partridgecreek.ca

I used to do alot of bow hunting for big game hunting, deer mainly with one bear (3/8" short of the pope and young!) but after moving here and seeing the way folks hunt I pretty much gave it up.

I know I will have a ton of questions but have found answers to many through old posts, but what that I can’t figure out is how does one get the special insurance for hunting the Fraser valley? Does anyone here hunt brant or sea ducks?

Very best,

Ian

04-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Welcome to the site and the best province in Canada for hunting what ever makes you happy!:grin:

bsa30-06
04-22-2006, 08:35 AM
welcome to the site Ian, i'm sure it wont be long before some of the water fowl hunters post up and i'm sure they will be able to answer any questions you have.

huntwriter
04-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Welcome to HuntingBC Ian F. I have run across your website before and liked it so much that I bookmarked the link. I am glad you stepped out of the shadow.

Fido
04-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the site I have a few friends from back there and they all enjoy it out here. This site is full of info and goods and gals. :grin:

Iron-Head
04-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the site...In order to get your fraser valley specail permit you need to have 1 million dollar liability insurance,Wich is quite easily obtained by joining a rod and gun club ect.
Symon

boonerbuck
04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome to HBC!

I think once you move here you may want to explore the big game hunting once again. Just the scenery and amount of elbow room out there alone will get you hooked. There is no place in NA or the northern hemisphere for that matter that offers as many big game species to hunt as British Colombia.

Rob
04-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Welcome aboard Im originally from Rothesay, New Brunswick, Ive fished the Miramachi a couple of times. Also grew up hunting ducks, didnt start hunting big game untill i moved out here, you'll love it out here, definatley more game on the Menu out this way:grin: Rob

Foxer
04-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I can’t figure out is how does one get the special insurance for hunting the Fraser valley?

Any gun store that sells licenses sells 'em i think. Insurance is easy too - i Believe (dont quote me) that they'll sell it there, but your BCWF membership or in most cases your club membership should have it too. Insurance costs about 20 bucks a year stand-alone i think?

As to brant and sea ducks - i know there's some real brant fanatics. Certanly regular ducks are hunted, but the problem with ducks too near the ocean is they taste a little fishy to some. Especially if you're used to manitoba grain fed :) But there are lots of opportunities and there's a duck hunting club in the lower mainland that has secured all the rights from the farmers to hunt on their land. You'll likley want to join that. (what the heck is the name of it again? ).

If you've got a dog, there's geese and duck aplenty about. I only know how to hunt those over dogs, so i've not bothered much in bc. But lots do.

There's turkey now too :) And grouse.

Walksalot
04-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Ivan F, welcome to the site and yes, you are moving to a fine province.

Gunner
04-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Welcome IanF!I'm a duck,goose and brant hunter,from way back!Best place in the Lower Mainland to talk waterfowl is Stillwater Sports in Ladner.Talk to Bryan,the owner.The club that has the most leased land for waterfowl and released pheasants,is Associated Wildlife Preserves.Bryan can give you a contact number.They lease about 6,000 acres,I believe.I hope you enjoy Beautiful B.C.!:grin: :grin: Gunner.

Mr. Dean
04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I used to do alot of bow hunting for big game hunting, deer mainly with one bear (3/8" short of the pope and young!) but after moving here and seeing the way folks hunt I pretty much gave it up.

Are you talking about NB or BC?
In either case, why?

And yeah...Welcome!

Ian F.
04-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome!

We are quite excited about the move and I'm quite excited about the gunning oppertunites in BC. I grew up in Ontario and have lived here for the past 8 years, to answer the question why I stopped big game hunting, it's simple didn't feel safe or enjoy myself. This province does not look too favourably on bowhunters only giving them a week or 2 to hunt on their own, versus over a month for rifle. In this part of the world moose season is 3 days, that's not a typo 3 DAYS and you better be lucky to get drawn!

Deer hunting sees folks sitting on the roads with benches and a mirror on them so that they can see deer crossing the road behind them! No lie, and they are spaced along the road so that any one person could shoot 2 or 3 others! With the wave that tromps through the bush on opening day or later and ruins weeks of scouting, I just threw in the towel and concetrated on my first love duck hunting!

When I was out for the interview at the end of March I drove around the greater vancouver area as much as I could to just get a feel for the area and was blown away at the numbers and diversity of ducks I saw, second only to the numbers I saw in the fields. I didn't see many deer, but did see some, but do remember the numbers of them we saw this summer past in the Nanaimo area when we where on the island.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome,

Very best,

Ian

Fred
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Ian, If you had drove around Langley or Abbottsford you would have been astounded by the numbers of waterfowl! The Coastal Flyway is second only to the Central and on top of that there is a huge non-migratory population. Compared to NB, you are going to be in hunting heaven. Fred

Mr. Dean
04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Deer hunting sees folks sitting on the roads with benches and a mirror on them so that they can see deer crossing the road behind them! No lie, and they are spaced along the road so that any one person could shoot 2 or 3 others! With the wave that tromps through the bush on opening day or later and ruins weeks of scouting....

Kinda reminiscent of a holiday weekend, here.
Haven't seen people out with mirrors though.

Foxer
04-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Kinda reminiscent of a holiday weekend, here.
Haven't seen people out with mirrors though.

Yeah, but bc's a little bigger than new brunswick :) You can always find SOME out of the way spot to have to yourself.

Johnnybear
04-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the site. I too visited your website and thought it's great. Good luck with your move to B.C..

Elkhound
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Welcome Ian, and you will love BC

Ian F.
04-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I was out at the end of march and drove out to mission and then down to abbotsford and then in to somewhere where I hit 2 or 3 accidents at each alternative route..made it back to the hotel in Metrotown and flopped.. I did go through stanley park and saw lots of barrows (I shoot about 1/yr here) mixed with widgeon and mergs, and a first for me FLOCKS of widgeon grazing in the park!

I also went out to Iona park (off the airport) before my flight and saw my first Eurasian widgeon ever as well as hundreds of bluebills, about 100 cans, some ge's more gwt then you can shake a stick at, mallards, pintails, gaddies, regular widgeon and much much more..

basically, outside of my first trip to the prairies I was in awe of the diversity and numbers of species let alone in a metropolitan setting!

By comparison here (NB), you would only see blacks or mallards obviously and would have to really know the spots and your birds to see the diversity of species I encountered.

Very best,

Ian

Rainwater
04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the area. If you indeed are still interested in bowhunting in BC we still have some opportunities left and are looking for more people to become involved. The United Bowhunters of BC will be looking after bowhunting issues as well as the Traditional Bowhunters of BC. If you have read in previous posts the Ministry and the BC Wildlife Federation think it's a good idea to have kids huntiing with rifles during our BOWONLY season from Sept. 1-9. We need more bowhunters to join in our ranks to show our dismay at the direction the gov't is taking. If your interested in joining any of these clubs post again.

Foxer
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Ya figure making disparaging and one sided remarks about the local organizations is a really good way to welcome people, do ya rainwater?

Rainwater
04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Only the facts fox. New residents need to know. I belong to them all so I know who fights for what.

moose hunter
04-26-2006, 04:21 PM
i like your decoys and have just gotten into waterfowling if you sell them send me a pm

Foxer
04-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Only the facts .

isn't that fox news' motto too? And al jazheria? :)

It isn't just the facts, and you know it. Perhaps it'd be best to keep any bitterness or agenda in threads specifically about that subject.

Ian F.
04-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Moose,

Your PM box is full, so in a short answer, yes.

Very best,

Ian

Rainwater
04-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Don't watch American news, and you spelled All Jizzhera correctly, scary. Once again if you like Bowhunting in BC join a Bowhunting advocacy group. Thats all. I can't pick up on the comparison between loving bowhunting and bowonly seasons and blowin people up, sorry.

Iron-Head
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome Ian I to carve decoys and have been doing so for 3 years If you would like to see pictures of a few of my decoys PM me and we can share a few photos expierences ect.
Symon

Ian F.
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Symon,

Will do.

You do know I have to go to gibsons and see if mollys reach is real? I did grow up in Canada after all!

I'm hoping to meet some other carvers out west, I live in a carving vaccum here and most of my carver friends are LOOOOnnnng distance..

very best,

Ian

Foxer
04-27-2006, 02:37 PM
You do know I have to go to gibsons and see if mollys reach is real? I did grow up in Canada after all!

It's real. :) Well - the set is real anyway, but it's in gibsons :)

I'm hoping to meet some other carvers out west, I live in a carving vaccum here and most of my carver friends are LOOOOnnnng distance..

Some first rate ones out this way.

Foxer
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
Once again if you like Bowhunting in BC join a Bowhunting advocacy group.

Maybe next time just stick to saying that. THere's a fine line between opinion and 'trolling'.

Elkhound
04-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Symon,

Will do.

Ian

Ian, the Molly's Reach is quite nice. Some of the best seafood fettucine I have ever had. The wife and I go there every few months.

Rainwater
04-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Once again you confuse my opinion with what is fact and can be documented. All I am stating is that the BCWF does not endorse bow only seasons. their own constitution will not allow endorsement of one weapon over the other (fact). The BCWF does endorse rifle hunters hunting the same species during a BOWONLY season for that same species (fact). So if you like bowhuntin' join a bowhunting advocacy group (fact). If you like all forms of huntin and fishin ,a monthly magazine and sticker for your truck join the BCWF.

Foxer
04-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Once again you confuse my opinion with what is fact and can be documented. All I am stating is that the BCWF does not endorse bow only seasons. their own constitution will not allow endorsement of one weapon over the other (fact). The BCWF does endorse rifle hunters hunting the same species during a BOWONLY season for that same species (fact). So if you like bowhuntin' join a bowhunting advocacy group (fact). If you like all forms of huntin and fishin ,a monthly magazine and sticker for your truck join the BCWF.

Once again you missed the not so subtle point i'm making. No trolling, and no hijacking threads to pick fights.

If you still don't understand - we'll take it to pm's and i'll explain it more clearly in terms i'm certain even you will be able to see clearly. Review your initial post and if you STILL feel you need further explaination regarding the difference between making a simple statement and making an inflammitory or provocative statement for the purposes of illiciting a negative response then PM me, and i'll be happy to clarify it.

Either way - that'd be the end of this discussion on this thread.

Rainwater
04-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Deleted by mod because some people dont' get the message.

Foxer
04-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Rain - you can start a new thread or you can get banned for a week. Your choice. Hijack this one again, and it'll be the second one.

Rainwater
04-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Ban me! Democracy in action, two wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner, or BCWF making Bowhunting/season decisions.

Onesock
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Yee Ha.Way to go pres.

Foxer
04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Done. When your week is up - try following the rules. Democracy is you starting your own thread, not hijacking others.

We now return you to the thread previously in progress.

todbartell
04-28-2006, 06:57 PM
welcome to HBC

not *all* of us are dillholes :roll: ;)

Gateholio
04-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome to HBC.

:grin:

Will
04-29-2006, 05:12 PM
not *all* of us are dillholes :roll: ;)
I'll second that.......most of them were Banned a long time ago from here and other places.
Welcome, there are Lots of Great Folks on here:-D
I should really find more time to Visit here:icon_frow

BowsUp
04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Welcome to BC, as many have remarked aka God's Country.

With regards to your question about the million insurance, check your householder's policy, you probably already have it.

I belonged to AWP for a number of years. Good club and some excellent land.

Rainwater
05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Just a short note before I depart. Guess I didn't follow the party line and got kicked off the forum. Just like back in school. Now I'll get two weeks detention for bringing it back up. The gentleman that started the forum stated that he used to bowhunt but when he saw how people hunted in BC he quit. I advised him to join a bowhunting advocacy group because the BCWF in general does not support bowonly seasons. This is what got me kicked off. Is this a BCWF run forum? The next guy on the forum referred to the rest of us as dilholes, whatever the hell a dillhole is and he gets a pat on the back. You guys better straighten yourselves out before you start kicking people off the forum. Bye now.

todbartell
05-06-2006, 10:33 AM
if you'd know how to read, you'd see that after moving to NB, he was disgusted at the ways people hunt.

He doesnt move to BC until late June.

take some reading lessons so you dont embarrass yourself even more... :roll:

todbartell
05-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I have just accepted a position with BC Hydro that will see us moving to the greater Vancouver area at the end of June.

there ya go Rainwater, a little clearer for you? :roll:

Rainwater
05-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks, doesnt change a thing.

todbartell
05-06-2006, 11:09 AM
the reaosn you got banned had nothing to do with the BCWF, just due to you hijacking a thread to further your agenda, and if you weren't such a tool, you could see that...

Rainwater
05-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Wow first dillhole, now tool, your a regular Shakespeare. I never hijacked any thread. The guy was movin to BC and was a bowhunter, Welcome to BC and if you love bowhuntin join a bowhunting advocacy group because our BCWF does not endorse bowseasons.

todbartell
05-06-2006, 11:36 AM
The BCWF doesn't endorse any *exclusive* hunting seasons, one way or the other. They don't endorse "RIFLE ONLY" seasons which exclude bowhunters either. But, this is still a thread hijack, and that is what Foxer banned you for, I guess some people are too smart to learn anything...

Rainwater
05-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Ian stated that he enjoyed bowhunting, the BCWF does not endorse bowseasons because a large percentage of the membership are rifle hunters and the other half are fisherman. Therefore if you like bowhunting and would like bowseasons and opportunity to flourish as it is in most jurisdictions then join a bowhunting advocacy group. I do not consider that a hijacking of a thread merely information for a new resident. Take a look at the some of the other topics and see where they have lead. Bow only seasons just seem to strike a nerve with some people thats all ,even without insults.

Gateholio
05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Ian stated that he enjoyed bowhunting, the BCWF does not endorse bowseasons because a large percentage of the membership are rifle hunters and the other half are fisherman. Therefore if you like bowhunting and would like bowseasons and opportunity to flourish as it is in most jurisdictions then join a bowhunting advocacy group. I do not consider that a hijacking of a thread merely information for a new resident. Take a look at the some of the other topics and see where they have lead. Bow only seasons just seem to strike a nerve with some people thats all ,even without insult

Rainwater, the guy was aksing for an introduction to BC, and you started, with your first post, to push your political agenda. Read your first post again:

Welcome to the area. If you indeed are still interested in bowhunting in BC we still have some opportunities left and are looking for more people to become involved. The United Bowhunters of BC will be looking after bowhunting issues as well as the Traditional Bowhunters of BC. If you have read in previous posts the Ministry and the BC Wildlife Federation think it's a good idea to have kids huntiing with rifles during our BOWONLY season from Sept. 1-9. We need more bowhunters to join in our ranks to show our dismay at the direction the gov't is taking. If your interested in joining any of these clubs post again.

If you were simply offering a service, supplying information about a bow hutning club, then there would have been no issue.

As it is, you were blantantly trolling and now you are trying to hijack a thread AGAIN to push your agenda. You clearly didn't take the hint form Foxer, and so you got booted for a week.

Firebird, knock it off.

Ian, sorry your thread got hijacked and dumped....I'm locking it now, but feel free to begin another one.