PDA

View Full Version : Got my Hanways!

Wild_Dog
08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Grrrr....can't edit the title! Fat fingers hit a 'y' instead of a 'g'

So I received my Hanwag Alaska GTX boots today. Fit great! Just looking on advice on initial waterproofing and prolonged care for these boots.

Products?

My wife almost had a heart attack when she saw the price-tag so I have to make them last!

MattW
08-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I really like the Obenaufs wax, I think the Viberg stuff is the same thing

Deadshot
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
I really like the Obenaufs wax, I think the Viberg stuff is the same thing
Where do you get that stuff in the LML, Matt?
Is it only mail order?

ElectricDyck
08-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I tried a bottle of G-wax and found it wore off real quick. I now use Nic wax aqueous and it seems to last a bit longer. I love my Hanways lol no complaints.

MattW
08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Deadshot
I got some mailed to Ship Happens in Sumas one time and like I said I'm pretty sure the Viberg stuff is the same with a different label so last time I just got a container of that mailed from Victoria which was quite a bit simpler.

700bdl
08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
If they have a Gore-tex liner, then are already waterproof. If you apply any sort of waterproofing to the boot, you will compromise the gore-tex liner.

ElectricDyck
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
If they have a Gore-tex liner, then are already waterproof. If you apply any sort of waterproofing to the boot, you will compromise the gore-tex liner.

The waxes listed are ok for goretex and won't clog the pores, the water beads off rather than soaking the leather and relying on the goretex, they also condition the leather and keep them from dying out and cracking.

Wild_Dog
08-17-2010, 05:48 PM
really? Are you sure about that cause I was always told to use Nikwax from the outdoor store here in Quesnel. Its a waterproofing wax that supposedly maintains support and breathability.

Now you have me worried cause I already applied it.

700bdl
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
My bad...I should have explained further. I understood that you wanted to completely seal the leather. You want the leather to maintain some breathability. I would use the Nikwax spray, and apply it lightly.

Wild_Dog
08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Great...thanks guys. I was worried there for a bit.

These are freakin awesome boots. Super comfy out of the box.

BCRiverBoater
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I use sno seal on all my boots and love it. Lasts the whole season. I put the boots in a luke warm oven for a few minutes then rub in the sno seal so it goes on easily and soaks in. I do about 3 coats before my hunt.

Buckster
08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Nikwax for me. I carry it in my pack and if staying overnight apply to damp boots before I go to bed. works great