PDA

View Full Version : how to tell bad game

gmcslinger
08-16-2010, 08:22 AM
when you are gutting any animal deer rabbit etc what should you be looking for to tell if it had a disease? like around the organs etc?

gutpile
08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
under the skin

knighthunter
08-16-2010, 05:07 PM
White spots on the liver, if your figuring on keepin it.

buck nash
08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Thre's not much out there that can cause illness in people. There's been no chronic wasting desease found in bc game to date which would be a bigger concern.

Any diseases found here might effect the quality of meat or the quantity on a diseased animal but you don't need to worry about infecting yourself with anything. Your much more likely to see meat contaminated after the kill by poor handling than from anything the animal had prior to the kill.

That being said, don't select an animal that shows any signs of disease and the riisk is reduced to nil.

Bring the animal to a procesor if you have any doubts about your ability to safely process the meat. They will be able to spot any concerns if you aren't sure. The best time to look for a processor is prior to the hunt as opposed to scrambling to find one afterwards.

Good luck and don't sweat it just use your common sense when handling the meat and get it cooled down as fast as possible.

Shooter Jr.
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I think more importantly is to watch your game before you shoot it. A deer with CWD will wander around aimlessly and may look skinny. It basically turns the brain into swiss cheese...

Shooter Jr.
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Ohh forgot to add deer infected with CWD will most likely have it's head down.

08-16-2010, 06:54 PM
I wouldnt worry about it. Iv shot a bunch of stuff and never had anything jump out and make me go eeewwwww!!

but im sure you could tell meat rot or cysts or something of that like.

if you see it limpin' let it limp.