PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Tradition/ Superstitions

TheProvider
08-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi,

As opening day grows nearer and nearer I was curious if anyone has any opening day traditions/ superstitions. Or through out the season. I know myself I'll have my gear packed a week in advance and will check it every night to make sure I'm not missing anything hehe. When I lived in Ontario my old moose hunting party, one of us always had a bottle of cherry whiskey incase one of us filled our tag. Made for a tasty drink once the work started. I also pick up any "good luck souvinears" I may come across while hunting.:-D

r106
08-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi,

As opening day grows nearer and nearer I was curious if anyone has any opening day traditions/ superstitions. Or through out the season. I know myself I'll have my gear packed a week in advance and will check it every night to make sure I'm not missing anything hehe. When I lived in Ontario my old moose hunting party, one of us always had a bottle of cherry whiskey incase one of us filled our tag. Made for a tasty drink once the work started. I also pick up any "good luck souvinears" I may come across while hunting.:-D

What kinda of pansie arse sissy boys you hangin out with in Ontario drinkin CHERRY whiskey. Time for you guys to man up.

LOL joking of course. To each there own :mrgreen:
________
SUBARU B9SC SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_B9sc)

luckynuts
08-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Never set up your meat hanging poles until after you dropped an animal:wink:

Jelvis
08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I never eat or take venison meat with, on the day I hunt.
I like to go hunting early in the first light and on through ...
I try to circle from left to right .. clock wise.
Jel .. Rockin' is ma business .. and business is good ..

Steeleco
08-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Always have at least one portion of game meat from a previous hunt. Sounds easy to say these days, but at one time, that one roast would have to hide in the bottom of the freezer for all those months!!!

Big Lew
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I also save a bit of meat from my last animal until I get another. As for superstitions, I religiously respect Mother Nature all year, never leaving any mess or trash, only taking what fish and game I can use, and having friendly little chats with her when I'm in her domain. (You might think I'm a bit nuts, but ever since I've shown her respect, She's allowed me to consistantly harvest game every year.)

Steeleco
08-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I religiously respect Mother Nature all year, never leaving any mess or trash, only taking what fish and game I can use, and having friendly little chats with her when I'm in her domain. (You might think I'm a bit nuts, but ever since I've shown her respect, She's allowed me to consistantly harvest game every year.)

Here Here!, Mother nature can be a real BITCH, don't upset her or else!!!

Not sure about the chats though, she's a woman, they never listen to men :wink::wink:

Padron
08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Willie Nelson playing softly when I drive into the hunting area. Puts me in the mood.

TheProvider
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
hahaha the tradition was long in effect before I joined the group. It was my father and uncles group. Seeing how they brought me along ever since I was able to walk and and not make too much noise I wasn't about to complain about it. Even if it taste like cough syrup. Besides the better whiskey was back at the cabin waiting for our return and for some reason the bottles always seemed to out number the hunters :? haha

BigBanger
08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
I prefer Mega Death.

TheProvider
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
padron I'll agree with you for most my hunts, except for a goose hunt when I know it'll be a massacre. In that case I'll agree with bigbanger

sawmill
08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
I prefer Mega Death.
I don`t shower or shave from Sept. untill Christmas.That`s Mega Death for the folks around me.

robertmcallan
08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
if we get an animal are group breaks out a bottle of fireball and drink it straight out of the bottle till it is gone

sako_300
08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't change my boxers till I shoot something.

Two years skunked is a bitch...

BromBones
08-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I always have my flask of Alberta Springs in my pack, and don't pull the cork until a critter's down. Last fall it stayed capped :-D, until I ended up spending the night on my trapline in January under a spruce tree - shot of whiskey in my tea helped warm the belly before bedtime.

Also like to light up my tobacco pipe after the first snow in the fall when I'm out hunting. Works just like bait:wink:

spear
08-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Anyone ever put a stick or leaf in the mouth of the animal harvested as their "Last Meal"?

r106
08-16-2010, 07:11 PM
hahaha the tradition was long in effect before I joined the group. It was my father and uncles group. Seeing how they brought me along ever since I was able to walk and and not make too much noise I wasn't about to complain about it. Even if it taste like cough syrup. Besides the better whiskey was back at the cabin waiting for our return and for some reason the bottles always seemed to out number the hunters :? haha

ok you get a pass:mrgreen:

Alpine85
08-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Anyone ever put a stick or leaf in the mouth of the animal harvested as their "Last Meal"?

We've switched it up latly, the hunter lays on the ground with the plant in his mouth and we prop the animal sitting up behind the hunter... Looks amazing!:mrgreen:

Shooter
08-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Its become a bit of a tradition that I don't sleep the night before opening day :biggrin:

OutWest
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Its become a bit of a tradition that I don't sleep the night before opening day :biggrin:

Same here. Pretty much impossible when sleeping in the mountains the night before. I just can't wait to hear the alarm clock even though no one needs it.

Appletons is always at the ready after the animal is packed out.

sawmill
08-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I always keep a nice cigar in the truck and only smoke it when I get a nice buck.And a flask of Sambuca!

hunter1947
08-17-2010, 04:35 AM
All I have to say to myself is do the best you can and you can't ask for anything better then that from yourself.

I say to myself hunt hard and safe and at the end if you don't connect well at least you tried your hardest.

You know you did hunt hard when you get up 2 hours before shooting light and into bed well after dark after being in the mountains all day.

You go weigh yourself when you get home after a two week hunt and you have lost 10 pounds you know you worked hard on your hunt.

This is what I say to myself and the one thing I say every year on opening day of the hunting season is don't count your chickens before they hatch ,if you do maybe they did not hatch and you go home skunked ??http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif??.